MembersZone Subscriber

Default Should I wear my military class A uniform to an interview?

I am on active duty, and looking for a job since I am close to separation. I don't own any other suits, and my class A's are tailored. I am wondering if I should wear my military service dress uniform to an interview?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DunebuggyN82 View Post
    I am on active duty, and looking for a job since I am close to separation. I don't own any other suits, and my class A's are tailored. I am wondering if I should wear my military service dress uniform to an interview?
    You want your oral board to run smoothly without any surprises. Since what you wear is the strongest non-verbal statement you can make when you walk into the room a uniform, any uniform, might not get you off on the right footing. Are you willing to take that chance?

For some reason candidates have been convinced by themselves or others that this will some how separate them from the other candidates. It can but not in a way you were looking for. It often hits the panel that you are asking for more points.

Understand you are applying for a snot nose rookie position. You have no time or rank with the department you are testing for. So donít wear your military, volunteer, other department, dogcatcher or other uniform to your interview. If you can't afford to buy a suit, rent one.

Here's a recent one.

A candidate from out of state called from southern California the night before his oral board. He asked if it was all right if he wore his military uniform to his oral? I asked him if he had brought anything else to wear. He said no. He said his dad and other members of his family that are in law enforcement told him it would make him stand out. I told him to go ahead and wear his uniform and we would talk later.

Did he get called back? Not yet.

Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray. Pinstripes are fine, but avoid brown, black, or high fashion brightly colored suits. Sport coats or blazers are out, so is polyester. Tie should be in a solid color such as navy, red, maroon, yellow stripe, or paisley print. Wear a white, off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!

Donít: Wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories. Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off. Donít wear cell phones, pagers or any other electronic leases.

More on attire here: http://eatstress.com/attire.htm

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob,
    Did you ever think the guy didnít get called back because he didnít do well on his interview? You draw these illogical parallels than MAY have some relevance and make them sound like this is the absolute reason why he didnít get called back.

I have a different thought. Maybe he didnít perform on the interview. Even if he went out and spent a ton of cash on the best suit that money could buy, he wouldnít have moved forward IF he perform well on his interview. In other words, it may have had NOTHING to do with the fact that he wore his uniform.

For the record, I have a ton of respect for our service men and women. You guys make EXCELLET firefighters. Do NOT wear your military uniform in for a firefighter interview. Borrow, rent, or buy a suit. They are not all that expensive and will really help you look the part.

For those looking to separate soon, I cannot stress the importance of education NOW, while you are still in the military. Take the time to take online fire science courses. The minute you get out, use the GI bill to complete an EMT class (if you canít take one at the local JC while still in the military), and for the basic fire academy.

You have served our country with honor. We donít expect that you will have all of the certifications comparable with someone who lived at home with mom and dad. We do expect, however, that you will have the basics (see above).
    Good luck and stay safe,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Permanently Removed

I would not wear a Class A uniform (military or fire service) unless its specified some where in the hiring process. Some FDs do have their people wear their Class As during the promotional process. (Engineer to Captain)

As for a suit, its a good investment. You can also use it for weddings, funerals, etc. I recommend buying a few different ties as well. As BCP said, suits arent that expensive. Men's Warehouse seems to be a good buy, but I have a local indenpentant guy that takes pretty good care of me.

Also as a Candidate, you might want to build up your credit. If you have a charge card, kill two birds with one stone- Charge the suit and pay it off as you go.

And lastly, as previously stated, thank you for serving our country. Good luck.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 09-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Forum Member

Don't wear your class As. If you don't own a suit, rent a tuxedo. You can getting a matching tie and cumber bun, but keep the colors conservative (e.g, blue, red, green) or just go black tie. I would skip the tailcoat and ruffled shirt, but that's up to you. Also, don't wear brown shoes with a black tux.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    Don't wear your class As. If you don't own a suit, rent a tuxedo. You can getting a matching tie and cumber bun, but keep the colors conservative (e.g, blue, red, green) or just go black tie. I would skip the tailcoat and ruffled shirt, but that's up to you. Also, don't wear brown shoes with a black tux.
    Huh? Please dont give bad advice here.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I thought it was funny...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default Answer the question

Look...Dunebuggy was asking a question and there are a few knuckleheads who want to make jokes. There is a time and a place for it....not when someone is asking a question. I know you think that there is more to life and we should all be more tolerent....but give me a break.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I took a class with a guy from Camp Pendleton and he wore his class A military uniform to an interview with LA City. He ended up with a background packet, but that was the last I ever heard from him. I here this is quite rare.

Most will tell you to wear a nice suit. Go out and make the investment.

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

Three things;
    First, he obviously interviewed well. Whether or not he wore his military uniform, they liked what he had to say. As I said earlier, military men and women do extremely well in the fire service. Secondly, you said that you took a class from this individual. This also points to the fact that he was a strong candidate. He was TEACHING your class. This too shows a leadership role.

Third, getting an background packet for LA City in far from rare. It's given to anyone who gets a 95% or above.
    The interview is very straight forward and they are interviewing a bunch of candidates. The candidate who is prepared will rise above the rest.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    WWW.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

umm cheif he said "took a class with", how'd you get teach from that?

the thing that I never got is the rational for wearing a military uniform or any other uniform? You aren't coming as a rep of your group, and your affiliation should be in with your resume and background info. I'm sure the interviewers already know you are military or ex-military.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oops, you're right......strike that last remark........Obviously is was thinking "from"......
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

I would /never/ even dream of wearing my Service Dress to an interview. Seems like you are trying to cash in on some sort of patriotic crap. And like the above poster stated, if they have your resume, your application stating your preference points, and you have some decent interview skills, they will know that you were in the military.
    You don't need that kind of gawdy, in your face statment like that, buy a suit.
    My old man always told me that part of growing up is making sure you have a least a $500 suit (or more) this seems to be a good time to put that into play.

Default I wouldn't.

Hi, I just got hired by Salt Lake City. Just got the call a couple days ago. At my interview, I saw a lot of other people there, but none wearing anything from the military. I would recommend buying a suit from somewhere like Men's Warehouse. They can get you into a nice suit pretty cheaply. Besides, if you are going to be interviewing for multiple jobs, a suit is a great investment. I'm not knocking the class A's, I am just saying that I would try to stand out in the interview with your answers, not with your attire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Three things;
    First, he obviously interviewed well. Whether or not he wore his military uniform, they liked what he had to say. As I said earlier, military men and women do extremely well in the fire service. Secondly, you said that you took a class from this individual. This also points to the fact that he was a strong candidate. He was TEACHING your class. This too shows a leadership role.

Third, getting an background packet for LA City in far from rare. It's given to anyone who gets a 95% or above.
    The interview is very straight forward and they are interviewing a bunch of candidates. The candidate who is prepared will rise above the rest.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    WWW.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Please let me clarify. I meant interviewing in a Class A and having a positive result is quite rare.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Look...Dunebuggy was asking a question and there are a few knuckleheads who want to make jokes.
    Gee, I thought I was the only knucklehead making a joke.

Anyhoo, I totally agree with what peterbound said, except I wouldn't have used the comment "patriotic crap" and I don't think the suit has to cost $500 or more, even though mine did. It seems as if you're looking for an excuse to show off by wearing your Class As just because you don't already own a suit. One is totally justified to be proud of having served in the military, but wearing Class As would be an in-your-face statement that could easily backfire. Class As are not what I consider modest attire. You should certainly feel comfortable and good about referencing your military experience when answering questions in an interview, though. S&K and Men's Warehouse have reasonably priced suits. Navy blue, black, and charcoal gray are safe colors. I wouldn't recommend pin stripes or a double breasted jacket for interviews. White or light blue shirt with a straight collar (not button-down), a conservative tie, and black shoes with laces or maybe buckles but no loafers.

This is at least the third question you've asked where everyone has told you not to do things that make it look like you're bragging by doing things such as wearing a fire t-shirt to take a written test, using a different fire dept letterhead for a thank-you letter, and now this. Are you starting to get the idea?

Also, how is that you're both active duty military AND already on a fire dept somewhere? Just curious.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

I went to downtown LA and bought a gray suit, and a shirt for $89, with the cuff tailoring included. Some of you may thin that this was a horrible and cheap suit but let me tell you, I had expensive suits in the past and this suit that I got was not bad at all. Anyway I went to my mock oral wearing a gray suit whiteshirt, yellow and light blue tie, military style shined shoes, black socks and a nr2 hair cut. The mock interviewer was a captain from the drill tower and he said apperance was pretty good and conservative. It worked for me. I have been many times by captains and rookies to wear a conservative suit, no military uniforms, fire shirts, brush jackets etc..

Forum Member

Some suggest a black suit. If black is all you have, wear it. But if you are going out to buy a new suit consider this:

black is acceptable yes?! I sure hope so

Not really. Black is a little too formal, more for dances, funerals and being a star in the movie Men in Black.

I usually say go along with the lady in your life. It might be an exception here.

Dress for Success

What Do I wear to a Job Interview?

I had a candidate tell me he went to an interview wearing a tie, suspenders and no jacket. I asked him, "Who did you think you are Larry King?" I asked him if they called him back for a chief's interview? No. Yea, it could have been more than the attire but if you know going in why take the chance?

The strongest non-verbal statement you can make in the oral board is what you wear. It is time to step up and make the investment. Wear the suit.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

That is the funniest post I've seen on here in a long time! Thanks for the laugh SC.

Forum Member

Default ????

Like I've said...Knuckleheads.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Like I've said...Knuckleheads.
    Lighten up, Dudley! A little joke never hurt anyone, and Smith's joke was far from offensive. I got a chuckle out of it too. If you call me a knucklehead for that, then you're just being insulting. Comments like that are just as nonconstructive as jokes. I mean, c'mon, the idea of wearing a Class A Military Uniform to a firefighter interview seems just about as ridiculous as wearing a tux, doesn't it?

Forum Member

The question seems to have been answered, but if I may... I would think that it would show that you went the extra mile to buy/rent/borrow a suit and talk about your military experience than it would to show it by wearing your uniform. If I were on a panel, I might find it distracting. By leaving the uniform at home it would show that you are willing to start from the bottom like everyone else, even after enduring all that you did in the service.

Like someone else mentioned, I put my suit on a Men's Warehouse credit card and used it to boost my credit history. That suit has come in handy during the last few years! My friends need to stop getting married... haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Sans,
    You are correct on all counts.....
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

No, wear a suit

Forum Member

Default Be Careful

Surtur....Looks like I've hit a nerve. You shouldn't be soooo thin skinned. When I say Knucklehead...it's for the person making a joke out of someone's question...not laughing at someone's joke. If you notice there are always Knuckleheads who jump in when someone is asking a question...to them I say they are Knuckleheads!!!! Deal with it!!!

P.S. Funny a Tux was mentioned....we had a candidate show up with a Tux Pants Suit(female) and she was hired!!! Aced the interview and came out best overall.
    Last edited by JayDudley; 09-23-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information