Forum Member

Default EMT-B Practical Exam Question

I am getting ready to take my practical exams and I have a question on the Patient Assessment Trauma part

In the Initial Assessment, while assesses airway and breathing, 4 things need to be completed;
    1.) Assessment
    2.) Initiates approproate O2
    3.) Assures adequate ventilation
    4.)Injury Management

My question is what type of Injury management are they refering to? Injury management relating to the airway?
    Thanks,
    Took the practical and passed 2 years ago however had a little situation with cancer and I postponed everything so now my practicals have expired and I have to re-take them before my national registry.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Forum Member

I read the question as if injury management would come after all of the ABC and C-Spine considerations, and those injuries to be managed would be discovered through DCAPBTLS. Key word in the question or skill being Trauma.

Airway injuries would be managed as part of securing a patent airway first and foremost.
    Last edited by Northeast68; 09-20-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: additional info

Forum Member

they want injury management relating to airway problems. Such as a chest wound getting an occlusive dressing, a penetrating traume to the mouth that is interupting breathing being removed, stuff like that. dont wait until the rapid trauma assessment for those items. If it directly affects the pt being able to breath treat it in the airway portion of your initial assessment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    they want injury management relating to airway problems. Such as a chest wound getting an occlusive dressing, a penetrating traume to the mouth that is interupting breathing being removed, stuff like that. dont wait until the rapid trauma assessment for those items. If it directly affects the pt being able to breath treat it in the airway portion of your initial assessment.
    Now I remeber. The example that they had in the book was a child falling from a tree and a small branch went through the cheek and blocked the airway.
    Thanks!

Forum Member

I read the question wrong. My mistake. Obviously if there is a traumatic injury to the airway that prevents normal breathing, and you can't achive an artificial airway, you'll have to resolve the injury first.

Thread Information