CFEI / CFII

Default Hand Pump Extrication Tools

I had a vehicle fire investigation yesterday at a Veristar lot. It was pretty much a total burn out. The driver side door was damaged and I could not get it open to verify the VIN number. That left me searching else where on the vehicle.

I am looking to purchase hand pump extrication tools. I need a compact spreader and cutter. I have looked at all the major dealer sites. I can't find what I needed. Years ago I saw what I am looking for and it was called "Porta Power". It came in a small metal tool box.
    Can anyone give me any guidance?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by cubbie; 09-20-2008 at 10:05 AM.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

MembersZone Subscriber

PortoPower was a trade name given to the Blackhawk brand of eqt. There were many attachments available, however basically it was a remote operated hydraulic jack. The tool remains available, now built by Enerpac and labeled as an 'industrial maint kit'.

There are mfg that build self-contained units that feature a 'combi-tool' head. Simply search your favorite hydraulic tool mfg. You may also try searching for the Nike brand as they now build what was known as the Bacho brand from years ago.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Just an idea,

Take a look at Holmatro's 3120HCT, it is a portapower type combi tool, pump and tool in one. We have a porta power still, it has hoses and a pump with various heads. Our USAR guys have three of the HCT's , they are nice because they don't have hoses, are a one man operation, and are combi- cutter/spreaders.

www.holmatro-usa.com

MembersZone Subscriber

The Holmatro offered in the above post is a nice tool and easy to use. We have 3 of them.

MembersZone Subscriber

The most economical solution would be to the nearest request rescue unit to come out and assist you, most would be more than happy.

If that is not an opption a hand powered rescue tool such as halmatro's or genesis hand powered rescue tool would be the best option. Genesis also sells a porta power type tool.

Forum Member

At one time, Genesis made a nifty hand operated spreader/cutter called the "Hand Vario". It was self-contained and operated by pumping one of the handles on the unit itself. I had played with it some at the Howlell Rescue Crash Course training and found it to be rather slow, but it would eventualy get the job done. I just checked the Genesis website and could not find it listed there, but Howell has it on their site:

http://www.howellrescue.com/toolpage...ndvario211.htm

If you are looking for something to keep for your kind of application, I think this is what you have in mind.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cubbie View Post
    I had a vehicle fire investigation yesterday at a Veristar lot. It was pretty much a total burn out. The driver side door was damaged and I could not get it open to verify the VIN number. That left me searching else where on the vehicle.

I am looking to purchase hand pump extrication tools. I need a compact spreader and cutter. I have looked at all the major dealer sites. I can't find what I needed. Years ago I saw what I am looking for and it was called "Porta Power". It came in a small metal tool box.
    Thank you!

Most of the dash vin #s are somewhat "stamped" and if it was not legible chances are the the label on the door would be damaged also on a burnout.
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

CFEI / CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant387 View Post
    Most of the dash vin #s are somewhat "stamped" and if it was not legible chances are the the label on the door would be damaged also on a burnout.
    As luck would have it the close door created a protected area and the label survived. I could see it was there, but I couldn't get to it.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

MembersZone Subscriber

As luck would have it the close door created a protected area and the label survived. I could see it was there, but I couldn't get to it.
    Sawzall would be indicated then
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

MembersZone Subscriber

II am looking to purchase hand pump extrication tools. I need a compact spreader and cutter. I have looked at all the major dealer sites. I can't find what I needed. Years ago I saw what I am looking for and it was called "Porta Power". It came in a small metal tool box.
    Thank you!
    Most folks still call it a porta power (pretty much like most everyone calls a tissue a "Kleenex") and they are still very much alive & well in the auto body repair industry (where the fire service found them to begin with )

In this case - google is your friend. http://www.google.com/search?q=porta+power

Some quick results fro the above search:
    http://www.southern-tool.com/store/porta_power_kit.html

http://www.toolsusa.com/ProductSearch.asp?phrase=porta%20power&cat=BodyRep air&WT.srch=1&s_kwcid=porta%20power|756600019

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/asthyd10.html
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information