Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Cat Trap In A Sewer?

Earlier today my company was hit out for a cat stuck in the sewer. When we pulled up we opened it up and we discovered nothing. We check a couple of the other curbside sewer openings nearby and found nothing. The patrols on location then said a lady who was at the light heard it from her so now it wasn't even confirmed. So we stuck a couple of boosters down to try and flush the cat out and we found nothing. Eventually we gave cause either the cat traveled further down the sewer or gas could have suffocated it. So we pretty much did not know if there was a cat or not. Let me know what you think about this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYco10 View Post
    Earlier today my company was hit out for a cat stuck in the sewer. When we pulled up we opened it up and we discovered nothing. We check a couple of the other curbside sewer openings nearby and found nothing. The patrols on location then said a lady who was at the light heard it from her so now it wasn't even confirmed. So we stuck a couple of boosters down to try and flush the cat out and we found nothing. Eventually we gave cause either the cat traveled further down the sewer or gas could have suffocated it. So we pretty much did not know if there was a cat or not. Let me know what you think about this.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg in the firefighting world. You do get many, many, many calls that turn out to be absolutely nothing. Cellphones are a huge issue with that because people call something in but don't stick around when the FD shows up. Natural gas smells, smoke showing are notorius for false calls.

The other day two rigs were dispatched for a report of natural gas. The call was made by a passerby with a phone. Another rig was doing inspections of the area and they smelled nothing. Yet, because the caller didn't stick around, you can't verify what they witnessed.

Our worst one for that was there was an apartment fire last November. A caller saw the fire from the highway and called it in as a fire in one of our wooded parks. The closest engine was dispatched and went to the park, had they seen the fire going the other way they could have made a good stop. Unfortunately cell phones hurt us today as much as they do help.

In this case with the cat. Oh well, you showed up and didn't find anything. Move along. If people don't want to stay around after making a report, then it isn't our fault if we didn't witness what they did.

Just wait for the cat in the tree call. A good reminder to people is that they will come down when they get hungary and also, "have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree?"
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

If there is no cat, then there is no problem. Why there is no cat isn't really your problem. Either it left or it got eaten by giant rat. In either case, there is no longer a fire department issue.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Leave it....It'll come out in the wash
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

If it got in there, it can get back out. Cats aren't stupid.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post
    Well, you're half right
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post
    WHAT?????????? Ive got some research to do............
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Thread Information