MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any departments hiring at this time.

I am currently in college, I took the two year fire science program. I am currently taking a year of Emergency Management and Planning Option courses. I am looking for a solid fire department that is currently hiring. I would prefer Florida or South Carolina, but for a decent job I would relocate just about anywhere. I am living in Indiana at the moment, but I want to get my career started. I want to move out of Indiana, it is very hard to just drive the distance to look for a job. I really just want to move and get started with my career. I am looking for any help or anyone that is looking for a firefighters at the time.

I am 21 years old, Firefighter/EMT-B
    Hazmat Ops and Awareness
    EVOC
    Two years of college level firefighting courses
    Six years volunteer experience
    One year of paid combination experience
    I also have multiple other certifications that can be provided upon request.

My email is chancock2@myvu.vinu.edu if anyone has more information that they can forward or if they want more information from me.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Forum Member

Default Departments

I guess what you're going to get is HIGHLY reliant on what you're looking for. Are you looking for a small department? Do you want to transfer laterally and have all of your certs count? Would you like to have the responsibility of driving, pumping, jumping companies etc?

Or, are you looking for an older traditional department? Can you accept the fact that many of your certs will mean little if nothing to them? Don't mind riding backwards for a while? Not looking to drive until you test for the position?

It all depends on what you want. It's also important to note that a lot of us are looking for jobs too... and many people will look at giving out information like who is hiring as having just another guy on the testing roster to compete against. It can get ugly like that for some, not all.

Your very best bet is to try and get down a couple of "principles" that are important to you, and then look at your list and find departments where you fit it. It's important to note that you're not fitting the department to you, but finding a department with a culture that you can assimilate into. I.E. Some departments don't do a lot of truck work, some departments vale EMS VERY highly... define your culture and career goals and find the departments that you can assimilate into well. It takes longer to do it this way, but from what I can gather it's worth it.

Thread Information