Forum Member

Default Headset Question

Anyone have experience with Peltor headsets? I guess they're suppossed to be the 'best bang for the buck" system. IDK a single thing about them and we may be getting them on our new engine. I'm doing some research... any suggestions are welcome!

http://www.aearo.com/peltor.com/comm...rod_num=MST001
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

Question

Question:

How do you hear ambient traffic sounds [noise] with one of those things on anyway? Not being able to hear ambient sounds, etc., [seems to me]...to be a SAFETY issue...in the arena where SAFETY has become a major issue today.
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1OLDTIMER View Post
    Question:

How do you hear ambient traffic sounds [noise] with one of those things on anyway? Not being able to hear ambient sounds, etc., [seems to me]...to be a SAFETY issue...in the arena where SAFETY has become a major issue today.
    Peltor makes a model that is especially for a driver that allows low-level sounds like traffic to enter, yet mufflles the louder noises.

http://www.aearo.com/peltor.com/comm..._num=MT1H7A001

C6
    Last edited by Command6; 09-22-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added link

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CooterRob View Post
    Anyone have experience with Peltor headsets? I guess they're suppossed to be the 'best bang for the buck" system. IDK a single thing about them and we may be getting them on our new engine. I'm doing some research... any suggestions are welcome!

http://www.aearo.com/peltor.com/comm...rod_num=MST001
    We installed four sets on our apparatus.

My advice is to avoid them like the plague. They are cheaply made, and require constant repair. Oh yea, and to repair them they have to go to Ontario, Canada.

During the warranty period, we spent a fortune on shipping. When they are working, their performance is so poorly that your firefighters probably won't wear them.

Peltor was our first experience with headsets; we subsequently switched them out with FireCom units.

Firecom is better in design; I suggest you get two headsets and compare the difference. I do have issues with FireCom , but it is with their lack of customer support and not the product itself.

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post

My advice is to avoid them like the plague. They are cheaply made, and require constant repair. Oh yea, and to repair them they have to go to Ontario, Canada.

During the warranty period, we spent a fortune on shipping. When they are working, their performance is so poorly that your firefighters probably won't wear them.

Peltor was our first experience with headsets; we subsequently switched them out with FireCom units.

Firecom is better in design; I suggest you get two headsets and compare the difference. I do have issues with FireCom , but it is with their lack of customer support and not the product itself.

C6
    Hey thanks... I was thkning the same thing. I've never heard of them and they seem like a cheap design.

I've used David Clark and FireCom and they both seem rock solid.

I am not liking the idea of David Clark b/c all the BIG bozes that come with it and hardware makes interior look like a mess of buttons and knobs.

I like the compact and sleek design of FireCom and have used them before. Everyone I know that has used them switched to either David Clark or Signtronics b/c of the background interference from the alternator on the apparatus with the FireCom.

What's everyone's experience with Sigtronics?

Let's talk fire trucks!

At the VFD, we use FireCom, and at work, we use the David Clarks. I do appreciate the fact that the FireComs have less hardware, but I don't know that they're quite as durable as the David Clarks. A large neighboring career department has used Sigtronics exclusively for years, and seems happy with thier performance.

As for the alternator whine with the FireComs, they are much less forgiving for not being wired exactly right.

I have only seen one Peltor headset, it was this week in fact. It had been installed in a 10-year-old rig as a means of better communication. Not having seen the product before, I did look at it, but it seemed kind of flimsy to me. The department members said that it hadn't been installed long enough for them to make an honest opinion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1oldtimer
    Question:

I know that the 500HP Detroit, Federal Q, airhorns, and Powercall don't let me hear anything anyway, so I might as well wear the headset and protect my coveted hearing. Some of our apparatus do have one slotted ear cup and one solid ear cup for the driver, but most drivers perfer not to wear them, as the "mixed noise" seems to be more of a distraction.

On non-emergency calls, the headsets don't block ALL outside noises like a Bose noise-reduction headphone, so you could still hear a car horn blow or the approach of another emergency vehicle.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 1OLDTIMER View Post
    Question:

They make a weatherproof outlet you can plug them into so when you are riding tailboard, you can use the headset.....old guy

Forum Member

If cost is an issue, check-out http://www.piratecom.com/headsetsintercoms.html

We had the opportunity to demo these during an inspection trip of our fireboat. Pretty impressive product and talking with the owners, they are branching out into the fire truck market.

We use Sigtronics on our rigs and are ordering two more systems.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    They make a weatherproof outlet you can plug them into so when you are riding tailboard, you can use the headset.....old guy
    Thanks for the info, however I doubt if I'll ever need it. I'd probably get "tangled" in the wires...fall off and get dragged down the street. Wires, plugs, any kinda cables are not good around old folks. Why do you think AARP required "drive-thru" banks to have brallie keypads on the teller machines?
    Last edited by 1OLDTIMER; 09-22-2008 at 11:25 PM.
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    If cost is an issue, check-out http://www.piratecom.com/headsetsintercoms.html

We had the opportunity to demo these during an inspection trip of our fireboat. Pretty impressive product and talking with the owners, they are branching out into the fire truck market.

We use Sigtronics on our rigs and are ordering two more systems.
    We aren't worried about budget at all! We saved a ton of money for our tax payers on our new engine.

I agree Sigtronics seems to engineer a great system for the price.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post

C6

Command6,

If there is any issue with any of our headsets, intercoms and/or other products, or if you had a question about your service or any other feedback, please do not hesitate to contact us via email, fax, phone, or in person.
    Alternatively, you are welcome to send me a message on here and I can answer you directly if needbe.

Thank you.

-Firecom Support

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirecomSupport View Post
    Command6,

If there is any issue with any of our headsets, intercoms and/or other products, or if you had a question about your service or any other feedback, please do not hesitate to contact us via email, fax, phone, or in person.
    Alternatively, you are welcome to send me a message on here and I can answer you directly if needbe.

Thank you.

-Firecom Support
    Since C6 has commented negatively on the level of customer support of your product, one might reasonably infer that he has had some experience with it and feels disposed to report that experience. Why should it be necessary for C6 or any customer to resort to making "public" statements in order to get the needed product support? Is it policy that "squeaky wheels" will taken care of? Shouldn't every customer receive good support the first time it is requested?

Forum Member

If there is a problem that hasnt been addressed, then we would be happy to do our best to address it and satisfy our customer. It may be something that rubbed C6 wrong in the past, or something we are continuously doing that we are not aware of. It could be something promised from a territory manager, or a product concern that wasnt answered timely. If it is something that has already been resolved, then it would be nice to not harp on the past. Without knowing what the issue is or was, it is tough to move forward and I am sure C6 and every consumer would like a more than satisfactory end result with their purchase and/or service. We strive to have exemplary customer service and excellent products the first time and every time. However, no one and no company is perfect, so if there is an issue, we absolutely would like to try to rectify it.

With regards to making any issue public, I believe in a couple threads that I have mentioned that C6 or any user could contact me via message on here, or our company via phone, fax or email, or in person. This is true if you want to know more about our wireless products or simply who your territory manager or dealer is in your area..etc
    Last edited by FirecomSupport; 10-01-2008 at 01:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just to back up Firecom, we have four systems installed in our engines. I have had some issues with headsets where the boom for the mic basically just went limp. Sent out about a half dozen headsets, they were repaired promptly under warranty and returned. My conversation with the rep on the phone was pleasant and professional when I told them of my problem. I probably have another half dozen that need to go back with the same problem. My understanding was that there was a run in production that had a faulty part that caused our problem to happen...

Now we could discuss the hacks from Motorola that installed our systems, but that would involve profanity.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Careful! You MUST be mistaken about M,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Just to back up Firecom, we have four systems installed in our engines. I have had some issues with headsets where the boom for the mic basically just went limp. Sent out about a half dozen headsets, they were repaired promptly under warranty and returned. My conversation with the rep on the phone was pleasant and professional when I told them of my problem. I probably have another half dozen that need to go back with the same problem. My understanding was that there was a run in production that had a faulty part that caused our problem to happen...

Now we could discuss the hacks from Motorola that installed our systems, but that would involve profanity.
    Correct. We had a run with a faulty boom nut. We are happy to send out replacement boom nuts that fix the problem. Alternatively, if you want/need to send your headset in, we can repair that as well.

Thank you.

Regards,

Firecom Support

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you by chance have a run of bad headset jacks? (The female end)

I...a...of...that...like...in...year...truck...it. ..me...off...no...

(now for the toss of the headset and screaming to the lads in the back)

I have a few of them that sound like this in a year old truck and it ****es me off to no end.

And those little foamy ear pads things don't stay on no matter what we do.

I will say... leaps and bounds more comfortable and user friendly then the David Clark systems. It's ashame that the durability isn't quite up to David Clark, but neither is the price... beggers can't be choosers.

I personally like the Firecomm patented alternator whine. My dispatchers know we're on the way just by hearing the weeeeee.....oooooooooooooo... when we transmit.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    I personally like the Firecomm patented alternator whine. My dispatchers know we're on the way just by hearing the weeeeee.....oooooooooooooo... when we transmit.
    Does their patent state a specific pitch? Because if it doesn't our David Clark's probably violated it until our radio tech's found the issue with a pre-installed antenna wire being left too long and coiled up in the dash. We seem to find many issues with alternator whine can be remedied by a good radio tech.

Forum Member

Too bad I can't fix other whines the same way,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sigtronics

You asked about sigtrontics. We have sets in two engines and our truck. They have been in operation about 4 years and work fine. We have remote plugs located at the pump panel on the engines for the pump operator.

I will buy sigtronics again.

Forum Member

If you are experiencing issues with alternator whine, there is a part we offer that suppresses this. It is the DC to DC Converter Type 3 (part# 108-0002-00 ) and it lists for $75.00

Thank you.

Regards,

Firecom Support

Thread Information