Thread: Site Visit

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Site Visit

Had a site visit today from our FPS on our 2007 AFG grant. Yes, I'm still here....no silver bracelets today...another bullet dodged. Passing on some info.

I questioned him about why the awards are slow and in low numbers. This has been a concern of the FPS's and has been brought up weekly during voice conferences, because they see it taking more than 70 rounds to complete at this pace. The stall now is the change in fiscal years and the conversions. He believes once completed the pace will pick up significantly (Kurt brought this up in another post).

DJ's: For anyone that has submitted a request to explain their DJ, it will take a while. 8400 DJ's 8400 requests; they are still deciding how to handle this work load.

For next year; no significant changes anticipated. Workshops after the first of the year. March/April opening for applications. PG is still being worked on.

Couldn't pry anything out of him on our 2008 application.
    Last edited by onebugle; 09-22-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

Thats good news bugle!
    Was the visit from Bob Waters out of the Boston office? He keeps threatening to come up and pay us a visit. Said we would have to have a lobster lunch for him.
    We had a visit from the folks from homeland security last year as part of their tour of the state. They went around and talked to folks from the big paid departments and then came out to see our fire / rescue operation on the islands. they left quite impressed at how well we are equipped considering our "Yankee frugality budget" . Nice for them to come out & ask us our concerns and needs, out here in the rural wilds of Maine.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Isn't rural wilds of Maine a redundant statement?

Guess I'll find out next summer for myself, cousin is getting married up there so we'll be making a trek to your almost-Canada location. Can't remember where exactly but if you're handing out lobster I can make a wander to your neck of the woods.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Thats good news bugle!
    Was the visit from Bob Waters out of the Boston office? He keeps threatening to come up and pay us a visit. Said we would have to have a lobster lunch for him.
    We had a visit from the folks from homeland security last year as part of their tour of the state. They went around and talked to folks from the big paid departments and then came out to see our fire / rescue operation on the islands. they left quite impressed at how well we are equipped considering our "Yankee frugality budget" . Nice for them to come out & ask us our concerns and needs, out here in the rural wilds of Maine.
    Dave Parr from the Boston office did the site visit. Started in the office this summer after retiring as Chief of the Wakefield FD. Known him for awhile, nice guy and a big proponent of the fire service. Loves the new job, it gets him out to the FD's. Didn't show up until after lunch, so there was no need to bribe him with steamers() to get past the review.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

Guess I'll find out next summer for myself, cousin is getting married up there so we'll be making a trek to your almost-Canada location. Can't remember where exactly but if you're handing out lobster I can make a wander to your neck of the woods.
    I'll have to make the treck way up into Maine a few times a year. Looks like my daughter has her sights on going to Maine Maritime next year. I hope she realizes how cold it will get.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

According to one of our new summercators that recently purchased a Full size Hummer in Canary yellow. " I have to have the Hummer to get to my summer cottage" { 8000 Sq.ft. summer home} Her paved driveway has heating tubes under it to keep it snow free. It's a sight to see when she pilots that yellow land barge down the middle of our narrow roads. better have an escape route planned when you see her coming your way.

If you come up our way we're an hour & 1/2 north of portland on the coast & we'll definitely hook you up with some crustaceans from our waters.

Rural Maine is when you go up to our Camp land 3 1/2 hours north of here, and there's still 5 hours of the state going north.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    I'll have to make the treck way up into Maine a few times a year. Looks like my daughter has her sights on going to Maine Maritime next year. I hope she realizes how cold it will get.
    Excellent school Bugle. Good friends Daughter graduated from there last year, and is doing grad work in marine engineering there now.
    It does get a little chilly up in Castine, but no worse than your area due to being on the water. Just takes a little longer to get spring up there.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

We'll be up early July, wedding is on the 4th. Lobster, beer, and fireworks, can't beat the hat trick.

Forum Member

Make sure to try some Shipyard summer ale. One of our better local brews.
    Goes excellent with boiled bugs.

Wheres the wedding???

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Can't remember for the life of me where it is. Hit the state map to see if anything clicked but nada. When I get it I'll drop you a line.

I'm all about local brews too.

Thread Information