Forum Member

Exclamation Question for the ladies or anyone that knows anything about chemicals

Ok i was in the effected Hurricane Ike area

Two months before the storm hit I started getting all these weird aromas in the house.

During the storm because we had no water I filled the bathtubs up with water and the smell sweltered in that area.

Basically it smells like womens perfume or oil.

Stuff it does
    1) Burns the eyes
    2) Burns the skin
    3) Effects the way you metabolize food
    4) Flushes the skin and eyes
    5) Makes your skin oily
    6) Non Flamable but seems to be affected by fire, incense or other things. Scented candles dont work.

It smells like ladies perfume, body spray or scented oil.

Seems to originate from running water. Or surfaces only around running water. My room smells like it I guess because it is next to the bathroom.

During the storm when the water was not running the storm drains reaked like it.

It smells like it in my neighbors front yard.

It also makes your skin feel chappy, like something has seeped into your skin and flushed out the water.

Coats the skin and clotheing when you whipe your face it makes it worse.

I dont know what it is, I have smelled perfume, body oils and colognes and nothing smells like this.

It is like scented oil in the house and smells like it all over the place. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not. I called the water company because they believe it might be colorine.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and if the water company cannot get rid of it what can I do because it seems to be everywhere. I need someone to work their utility man magic and make it stop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WalterWilliams View Post
    3) Effects the way you metabolize food
    How do you come to this complaint? I have never came across someone that said "I am not metabolizing my food properly, what could cause that?"

Forum Member

best way to explain it.

you go eat a steak, a baked potatoe at a restaurant and then come home and you smell that smell again and then your like shxt i just ate.

it does something weird to you i dont know what it does but it sucks.

CFSI/CFSII/CFEI

Do not know how much help we can be but---

There are alot of questions to ask.

Where do you get you water? Pond,Well or City Fed?
    Does it have color?
    Any waterline work in the area?

And have you had a sample tested? one test you can do at home is Ph test using a kit from a pet store or from a pool and spa store (follow label directions).

good luck.

Forum Member

I think I had something similar in my on campus apartment at college a couple years ago. When taking a shower, my eyes would burn sometimes (not from soap/shampoo) and then my face would be all dried out when I got out.

The only thing I could figure was that there was some kind of mold or mildew in the bathroom from 4 people taking showers every day. It was always wet or damp in there.

I would try cleaning everything with a bleach solution, and then ventilating it for a while to get rid of the bleach vapors (because they will burn your eyes too).

Forum Member

sorry my responses seem to take so long to get posted they are being moderated.

ok i was on military.com and they think there is glycol in the water. but wikipedia says that glycol is odorless but does possess some of the same kind of attributes that i desribed before.

as far as bleach and mildew and such goes i doubt it.

the day before they turned our power back on. i cleaned everything dusted got rid of empty containers and such. and no result.

it doesnt smell like mold or sour. because some of my clothes smelled like that after the storm.

but it smells like ladys perfume or more like lotion women wear before they go to sleep.

but today i havent smelled it as much. but when i took a shower i have a shower with hot and cold water. and the cold water seems oily and the hot water does not.

Forum Member

#1: Where do you get your water? Do you have a well or is it city water?

#2: If it is city water, you need to stop posting about it on the internet and call your water company immediately. There is nothing anyone on any forum anywhere can do to fix your water company. Only the water company can fix the water company.

#3: If it is well water, you need to stop drinking and bathing in it, and get a sample to water lab for testing immediately. While someone somewhere on the internet might have seen something similar before, it still won't do you any good. It needs to get tested by a lab.

#4: Call your town's health department first thing in the morning and explain all of this to them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

greetings and thanks for the response.

well i called the water company again and they said they are gonna send someone to my house on wednesday to test the water from the house and from the pump.

i live in a rural area and we just have a water tower the size of a pick up truck. but it may not be the water it may be something else. it could be whatever it is has coated my skin that even when i wash my hands it still smells like the stuff. but i figure you guys are trained in chemicals and stuff and might have heard something like thise before.

i called roto rooter and they said there is no way the house is generating the smell. i asked them if it was a dead animal and said probably not because the water doesnt smell dead and the water flow is normal.

if i live in huffman texas who do i call with the health department, i dont wanna bunch of people coming over here i just what to figure out what it is and what will make it stop.

MembersZone Subscriber

Usually you can drop off a sample off at your local health department and get it tested. The most you they can do is tell you to shock your well. Which leads me to the next question. Have you shocked your well? I've had to do it once to twice a year to remove the H2S odors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hatchmaster View Post
    Usually you can drop off a sample off at your local health department and get it tested. The most you they can do is tell you to shock your well. Which leads me to the next question. Have you shocked your well? I've had to do it once to twice a year to remove the H2S odors.

i called the water company and they came over and put a buttload of clorine in the meter and let it sit in the water for about 30 minutes that seemed to really help. however after the clorine was gone then it started again. turns out it might be the hand soap i am using. i noticed since i stopped using it i have stopped smelling it. got kind of a wiff of it when i open this thread though.

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

If it was glycol, you'd probably be dead by now. Glycol is highly toxic and may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through skin. It can be present as a solid, liquid, or viscous liquid. It's colorless, clear, odorless, has bitter/sweet taste, sinks in water, and settles in air. It's also miscible with water.

If it was glycol, you would've had a lot more severe affects. I highly doubt that it is glycol at all.

I can narrow it down, but I need more details. I looked up some of those symptoms and characteristics and the closest odor I saw was fruity/floral/sweet odor. There's about 82 results under that category.
    Last edited by PineyPower; 10-15-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PineyPower View Post
    If it was glycol, you'd probably be dead by now. Glycol is highly toxic and may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through skin. It can be present as a solid, liquid, or viscous liquid. It's colorless, clear, odorless, has bitter/sweet taste, sinks in water, and settles in air. It's also miscible with water.

If it was glycol, you would've had a lot more severe affects. I highly doubt that it is glycol at all.

I can narrow it down, but I need more details. I looked up some of those symptoms and characteristics and the closest odor I saw was fruity/floral/sweet odor. There's about 82 results under that category.

the water company came over today and took like 8 bottles of water out of my tap. hopefully they will find something cool in the water. other than that i dont know much about glycol, thats what someone said.

however i think i narrowed it down to the soap we were using. been using it for years. its cheap stuff from the dollar store that you fill up your empty containers with.

however all of the sudden it just got way overloaded and i guess it got trapped in the bottom of the drain so when i would use the water that smell would fly up.

however my water has been haveing a weird kind of rotten feel to it, like slime.

the guy at the water company said thats the way it comes out of the ground, because we have soft water.

I like the hard water better. or the water they give us when they put the clorine in it.

i dont know when i was a kid, the water seemed like it was that from an oasis or a swimming pool. now its just nasty.

i was out there houses out the yard earlier and it didnt seem so bad. i guess it comes and it goes. i just want fresh cool water like they have in galveston or clear lake.

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

That's very possible. A buildup of the soap runoff could do it, but depending on the ingredients used in making the soap could determine whether or not if it's harmful or if it's something else other then the soap. Hopefully it is just the soap and you can just buy better soap to correct the problem.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Thread Information