Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default CALLING ALL TRUCKS, I Said. THIS HERE'S THE DUCK

Truckers Protesting High Fuel Prices To Circle Capitol

POSTED: 6:50 am EDT September 23, 2008
    UPDATED: 8:41 am EDT September 23, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Truck drivers upset about high fuel prices are headed to Capitol Hill to protest.

The national average for a gallon of diesel remains over $4, making it tough for truckers to fill up and make a living.

On Tuesday, more than 400 professional truck drivers and trucking employees from across the country will hold a massive convoy to urge Congress and President George W. Bush to back energy legislation that would make gas prices more affordable.

The convoy, which may slow traffic in the nation's capital for hours, will start at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., and travel to Washington, where it will parade around the U.S. Capitol by mid-morning.

The group wants the energy legislation passed before Congress' October recess.

Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com.

This will mark the second time in less than 12 months that these guys have felt the need to "drop by". And while I am not really sure it has or will achieve much, as a kid who grew up on long haulers, I appreciate the effort. Maybe it will help, who know?
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 09-23-2008 at 09:17 AM.

"Come on and join our Convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight!"

I feel the pain.. I parked my truck in April. It's my new yard ornament! I'm thinking of converting it into a RV. All I need is a wrecked Winnabago, a sawzall, and some duck tape!
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    [B][COLOR=BLUE]Truckers Protesting High Fuel Prices To Circle Capitol

This will mark the second time in less than 12 months that these guys have felt the need to "drop by". And while I am not really sure it has or will achieve much, as a kid who grew up on long haulers, I appreciate the effort. Maybe it will help, who know?

Back in 1998,towboaters were protesting how pilots were not considered part of their companies' management until they hit a bridge or another tow.Then they were part and parcel of the managing team and first into the grinder when trouble loomed.
    There was a planned protest to -ahem- accidentally get a few 10,000 bhp boats sideways in the river and block traffic for a while show how much effect the pilot's and Captains have on river companies.
    If boats didn't move up and downriver for a few days or even hours,it would also screw with "just in time" deliveries and fuel supplies.
    Given that a towboat putting out its full rated horsepower burns fuel at the rate of one gallon per hour per horsepower,costs could add up quickly.

Thread Information