Thread: Best dealer

Forum Member

Default Best dealer

I need urgent advice if I have to choose E-one or Oshkosh.

I have from both an offer but it;s so tide I want to know about the expirence with these company and there financial stability.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your best opportunity is to short Howe or Pirsch. No doubt at all that they will not recover. A loss to the fire service of two well respected fire truck manufacturers but a sure bet for your portfolio.

Forum Member

You mentioned the key word of "Dealer" as opposed to manufacturer.

The one who you think is going to treat you the best after you department signs the check is the one who who should be awarded the bid. After all, you are forming a long-term relationship with your dealer (hopefully).

On the other hand, considering your variable of financial stability, I think the advantage goes to Oshkosh (i.e. Pierce) in that category.

C6

Forum Member

Question

An offer? Job offer or buying a truck?

Forum Member

I see that you are from Aruba. That changes things a little bit in terms of what we are used to here in the states but the premise is still the same in terms of the dealer. What one is going to be able to offer you the best aftermarket service? Do they have someone on your island or are you on your own until they can fly someone in from somewhere else? Have you hasd any past expierence with them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    On the other hand, considering your variable of financial stability, I think the advantage goes to Oshkosh (i.e. Pierce) in that category.

C6
    Even though Oshkosh was $3 Billion in debt as of June 30, may ask for "relief from its lenders" in 2009 and its stock has lost 83% of its value in one year resulting in a class action lawsuit by its investors?

Congress is considering a $25 Billion, 3-year loan to help Ford and GM survive, but stocks for Ford (-40%) and GM (-70%) haven't taken a hit the size of Oshkosh's.
    Last edited by firepiper1; 09-25-2008 at 11:50 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

I'm not sure either if you are refering to a job offer or purchasing an ARFF truck. Either way, I would go with Oshkosh. I'm not a fan of Pierce, but Oshkosh knows ARFF. My department has an E-one unit and it has been a pain in the @$$. We wanted an Oshkosh but our city fathers stuck us with a lemon.

Forum Member

Default hmmm

Quite a pair to pick from..... E-One.... who was just sold, and Oshkosh thats in the red.
    From what I know of both, I would say E-One. Even tho they were just sold by Fed Sig to a private group, American Industrial Partners, E-One has already began a turn around. I was told by friends there that they have made a bunch of changes to improve not only production but quality, not only in finished product but in service after sale. I will be in Ocala for a pre-build next week for our new Tiller, I'll be sure to post what i saw after I get back.
    Oskosh has been in the red, Hard to say what will happen there, as was the same with E-One earlier in the year. Only thing I Have heard about Oshkosh/pierce from those that have them is it seems they have focused more on Quanity and Less on Quality. As I said, thats what I am told. I personaly would not purchase a Pierce. I have seen to many issues with the new ones in my area, and I am a fan of Extruded Bodies over Formed.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Sounds to me like you are thinking about either buying a CFR rig, or maybe selling CFR rigs. If thats the case, go with OSHKOSH.

Every E-Wont CFR rig I had the displeasure of driving was nothing but a $hitbox. Seemed like the only time they spent in the firehouse was when the motor pool didnt have any space to store it while waiting for parts. We had a 20-year old Oshkosh that outperformed the 3 year old E-Wont any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Every Oshkosh I have driven was a dependable, reliable, well-built machine. The only time they spent in the shop was for preventive maintenance. Easy to use, simple to work on (in-station maintenance stuff) and the best driving CFR machine out there.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

tikey1....

I tried sending you a PM but you are not accepting them. Send me one with your email address and I'll reply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sounds to me like you are thinking about either buying a CFR rig, or maybe selling CFR rigs. If thats the case, go with OSHKOSH.
    Now that you mention it, yeah, it does seem like he means CFR. In that case you are right. Oshkosh B'Gosh!

Since both companies are on somewhat shakey ground, go with the best unit.

Forum Member

Every Oshkosh I have driven was a dependable, reliable, well-built machine. The only time they spent in the shop was for preventive maintenance. Easy to use, simple to work on (in-station maintenance stuff) and the best driving CFR machine out there.

Hmmmn? I know they are competely different companies........Just because a parent is good doesn't make the children the cream of the crop. Isnt that right CE 11?

JK Can't you feel the love?
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Buy the Oshkosh. The E-One P-23 I rode on when I worked for the WiANG was a piece of junk motor pool queen. It blew the tranny in the second year. It had numerous problems that sent it out of service. A wheel fell off shortly after I left.

When it worked, it was amazing. hard to develop trust in your equipment when you never knew when it might decide to take another crap.

We had an older P-4 and a P-19 that were much more reliable rigs.

Oshkosh has CFR hands down.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-28-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: mistyped P-29 should be P-19

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool ARFF Units

Fyredup,
    If you are going to bad mouth ARFF units, at least get your facts straight. It was not an E-One P-23, It was a Telydyne P-23. Look at the label on the truck. Teledyne designed and produced the rolling chassis and the suspension that you are complaining about and was the prime contracter on the vehicle with overall design, testing, service and warranty responsibility. E-One was a sub contractor that did the cab, water tank, body and fire package.

Attached is a picture of one of your coveted Oshkosh ARFF units.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Default confused

Why would they put the wheels on the roof???????????? Is that an Oshkosh or a Jaguar?

MembersZone Subscriber

No wonder the wheels rolled off on their own!! If they weighted them down with something big and heavy (like that big green box in the picture) they wouldn't be able to run off on you!
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronl32 View Post
    Why would they put the wheels on the roof???????????? Is that an Oshkosh or a Jaguar?
    Another Oshkosh (Pierce) original design/innovation!

Forum Member

Must be a german design.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    I don't give a rip who built the thing, but what caused the rollover?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Probably rolled down the hill to the right.
    Imagine having to live with yourself after doing this.

MembersZone Subscriber

So far rumors say it did not involve the hill...

Trusted source, but not proven 100% reliable yet.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Fyredup,
    If you are going to bad mouth ARFF units, at least get your facts straight. It was not an E-One P-23, It was a Telydyne P-23. Look at the label on the truck. Teledyne designed and produced the rolling chassis and the suspension that you are complaining about and was the prime contracter on the vehicle with overall design, testing, service and warranty responsibility. E-One was a sub contractor that did the cab, water tank, body and fire package.

Yep you are correct. I know all about the Teledyne, Timoney, E-One, Detroit Diesel, Twin Disc connection that made that morphodite piece of crap. Funny thing is that E-One marketed a rig that looked almost exactly like it for the civilian market under the E-One label. Coincidence? I think not.

By the way the P-23 was replaced with an Oshkosh crash rig. One of the shortest EVER purchase and usage of a CFR rig. When I started there in 1991we were still using P-2's. Ya know what that is sparky? And P-4's and P-19's. Guess they don;t build them like that anymore...or at least not if you aren't Oshkosh.

As far as the rollover picture..what's you point.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tikey1 View Post
    I need urgent advice if I have to choose E-one or Oshkosh.

I have from both an offer but it;s so tide I want to know about the expirence with these company and there financial stability.
    Neither....
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool E-One ARFF UNIT

E-One sold a few P-23's to the civilian market but designed their own independent suspension ARFF unit that had no Teledyne components or chassis.
    The E-One unit had a Rockwell/Meritor independent suspension designed and manufactured in Europe mounted to their own chassis with a different cab, body, agent tank and fire package than a P-23.

Again the P-23 was a Teledyne unit while the E-One Titan HPR was a completely different vehicle.

See attached E-One Titan HPR. As for the Oshkosh Stryker photo, how many P-23's have you got pictures of in that position?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

See attached E-One Titan HPR. As for the Oshkosh Stryker photo, how many P-23's have you got pictures of in that position?
    No one has any pictures of a P-23 in that position, or any other position for that matter- because the shop queens cant get out of the Motor Pool long enough to be seen moving, much less photographed.

Thread Information