MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Fundraising suggestion - joining up with a local restaurant

I wanted to pass along a great fundraising idea. This past Monday, a group of our members "took over" a local restaurant to raise money for the fire department. We replaced the wait staff, bartenders, runners and staff with our members to serve local residents and supporters. In exchange, the restaurant donated a portion of the proceeds from the night and all tips to the fire department. The turn-out was terrific and the media attention was great as well.

Just another creative idea to help raise money for your fire department or a special project. Work with your local restaurants and I am sure they will be happy to jump on a project like this (free press).

Here are a few links to the press release and some articles.

http://www.greenwichtime.com/ci_10534910

http://www.soundbeachfire.org/news/a...A44EEAECA6B1B2

Forum Member

Great idea, but I'm curious... and I'm NOT trying to be negative or confrontational about this but...

What happened the the generally low-paid, (primarily hourly) workers whose places you took? Neither article said anything obout that. Did the restaurant owners keep them on the payroll?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    Great idea, but I'm curious... and I'm NOT trying to be negative or confrontational about this but...

What happened the the generally low-paid, (primarily hourly) workers whose places you took? Neither article said anything obout that. Did the restaurant owners keep them on the payroll?
    Good question! A number of them worked that evening and, from what I was told, they were paid a higher salary to make up for the lost tips.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcunningham View Post
    I wanted to pass along a great fundraising idea. This past Monday, a group of our members "took over" a local restaurant to raise money for the fire department. We replaced the wait staff, bartenders, runners and staff with our members to serve local residents and supporters. In exchange, the restaurant donated a portion of the proceeds from the night and all tips to the fire department. The turn-out was terrific and the media attention was great as well.

Just another creative idea to help raise money for your fire department or a special project. Work with your local restaurants and I am sure they will be happy to jump on a project like this (free press).

Here are a few links to the press release and some articles.

http://www.greenwichtime.com/ci_10534910

http://www.soundbeachfire.org/news/a...A44EEAECA6B1B2
    Hello,
    My name is Chef Matt. I signed up on this forum researching ways to help firefighters raise money. The restaurant idea is great! Sounds like everyone had a good time. I have found out about many others fundraising ideas in my research to help firefighters raise the much needed funds for their own..
    Now I am looking for some feedback and would appreciate any and all responses either on this forum or email me if appropriate. Several things that I noticed about fundraising. If its a good cause, people will do it. If its promoted right, its a lot of fun. Firefighter cook-offs, chile contests etc.
    Why do people attend such gatherings? 10 people may have 10 different reasons so I can only speak for myself. I go to benefit the fundraiser and give what I can. Sometimes I see people that I know and also attend for the social aspect. I ALWAYS have a WIIFM (whats in it for me). A t- shirt, coffee mug, calendar or something, I always have to have something. I know its overpriced,but that is not what it is about in this instance. I'm spending money for a good cause and having a good time while doing it. Fry's food store and Target,Walmart and all those places get my money too and I really shop stuff out to try and save my money.( there just doesn't seem to go as far lately)
    When I go to a fundraiser I expect to pay more than usual for something rather than just fill the boot. But thats just me. Now I'll tell you why I think that the restaurant idea worked so well. It's on the same WIIFM principle.
    People are more generous when they get something in return. Thats the WIIFM. Here is another idea and if you are still reading this,Thanks.
    Remember the "Livestrong" wristbands. They were everywhere! $1.00, $5.00, $10.00 donations for each of those bands. That was another marketing stroke of genius. Money well spent for another worthy cause. But equal to the money was the awareness that it created. You would be putting gas in your car and looked over at the next pump, there was a wristband. Buying groceries and at checkout was another wristband. Hell, even the checkout clerk was wearing a wristband!
    What if you could combine all these aspects together to raise money for your fire department? The "whats in it for me, promote local spending and get restaurants, dry cleaners, car washes, local hardware stores, movie theaters, (and you can think of a dozen more on you own) involved, It won't cost them anything. in fact you may even drive business to them that they did not even have before.
    How about if you make these businesses busier than ever before and Not take away $$ from the people that work there such as in the restaurant scenerio? How about create a community awareness and presence much much larger than just the occupants of the restaurant that night. How about being at the gas pump or the supermarket and seeing the wristbands for FireFighters? Literally tens of thousands of dollars in 1 weekend. Hmmm. That is the question. Can you do it? I await your responses Thank you for your time. Stay Safe, get in, get out go home. Chef Matt-

Forum Member

Default Fundraising for FireFighters

Hello,
    My name is Chef Matt. I signed up on this forum researching ways to help firefighters raise money. The restaurant idea is great! Sounds like everyone had a good time. I have found out about many others fundraising ideas in my research to help firefighters raise the much needed funds for their own..
    Now I am looking for some feedback and would appreciate any and all responses either on this forum or email me if appropriate. Several things that I noticed about fundraising. If its a good cause, people will do it. If its promoted right, its a lot of fun. Firefighter cook-offs, chile contests etc.
    Why do people attend such gatherings? 10 people may have 10 different reasons so I can only speak for myself. I go to benefit the fundraiser and give what I can. Sometimes I see people that I know and also attend for the social aspect. I ALWAYS have a WIIFM (whats in it for me). A t- shirt, coffee mug, calendar or something, I always have to have something. I know its overpriced,but that is not what it is about in this instance. I'm spending money for a good cause and having a good time while doing it. Fry's food store and Target,Walmart and all those places get my money too and I really shop stuff out to try and save my money.( there just doesn't seem to go as far lately)
    When I go to a fundraiser I expect to pay more than usual for something rather than just fill the boot. But thats just me. Now I'll tell you why I think that the restaurant idea worked so well. It's on the same WIIFM principle.
    People are more generous when they get something in return. Thats the WIIFM. Here is another idea and if you are still reading this,Thanks.
    Remember the "Livestrong" wristbands. They were everywhere! $1.00, $5.00, $10.00 donations for each of those bands. That was another marketing stroke of genius. Money well spent for another worthy cause. But equal to the money was the awareness that it created. You would be putting gas in your car and looked over at the next pump, there was a wristband. Buying groceries and at checkout was another wristband. Hell, even the checkout clerk was wearing a wristband!
    What if you could combine all these aspects together to raise money for your fire department? The "whats in it for me, promote local spending and get restaurants, dry cleaners, car washes, local hardware stores, movie theaters, (and you can think of a dozen more on you own) involved, It won't cost them anything. in fact you may even drive business to them that they did not even have before.
    How about if you make these businesses busier than ever before and Not take away $$ from the people that work there such as in the restaurant scenerio? How about create a community awareness and presence much much larger than just the occupants of the restaurant that night. How about being at the gas pump or the supermarket and seeing the wristbands for FireFighters? Literally tens of thousands of dollars in 1 weekend. Hmmm. That is the question. Can you do it? Can it be done? I await your responses Thank you for your time. Stay Safe, get in, get out, go home. Chef Matt-

Forum Member

Default fund raisers

Your fund raisers are only as good as the community support that you have behind you. If you do not have the support from your community, you have nothing. Make yourself visible at different times with holding your hand out (i.e. other community projects, churches, community gatherings, etc). If your community sees you helping other activities, they are more likely to support your activities. When holding fund raisers (i.e. chili feeds, chicken noodle feeds, etc) do not place a price for the meal, just ask for donations. If you place for example a $7 per plate price for a meal, that is usually all people will pay. If you ask for donations only, there will be some that will only put a couple of dollars in the hat, but there will be many that will put alot more. This has worked for our department and may not work for all of you, it's just an idea. Our department has alot of community support behind us, and when hold a fund raiser we specify what we are raising the money for, and they will usually dig deep in their pockets to donate all that they can to support the project.

Thread Information