Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY Radio Traffic

I was bored sittin in the office and decided to listen to live scanners and such. FDNY guys say "k" at the end of their transmissions. I am guessing this is just another form of "over"?

It took me a minute or two to figure out what the hell they were doing "K"!

Correct. Its a throwback for sure. I say it sometimes as a joke.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I believe it is an old navy term and means they are waiting for a reply K. I may be wrong.

Forum Member

Ok, guess I'll beat everyone to the punch in answering this question that has been posted here numerous times.

From my understanding, use of the letter "K" when completing a radio transmission is a throwback to the days of the telegram. Apparently, since the letter "K" was not used that much in most common words (remember telegrams were short & to the point, kinda like an 1800's version of a text message ), it was used to indicate the end of a sentence. FDNY adopted this in their communications & it has stuck ever since (mostly due to tradition).

It definitely is unique & works for FDNY's purposes but outside of NYC, if you are using it in your radio communications, you will most likely be regarded as a "wacker" & it often confuses dispatchers not familiar with the term. Here in the suburbs immediately east of NYC, there is a definite lean towards what the FDNY does (mostly with regard to tactics/training) but the use of "K" in radio communications is frowned upon & outright banned in some depts.

That's the short & sweet version of it...it sounds cool but do yourself a favor, don't start ending your communications with "K"...you will only sound like an FDNY wanna-be.

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe..."K"...

MembersZone Subscriber

An FD near me uses K at the end of radio transmissions. Once I heard an officer reporting to dispatch that they were at the department repair facility, the Bureau of Automotive Repair (B.A.R.) "Engine 3 10-8 at the B A R K" while someone was barking like a dog in the background.

K was used at the end of Morse code transmissions to indicate the end of a message. It is still used by amateur radio operators who use "the code".
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Most guys use it incorrectly. Its only supposed to be used when you are expecting a reply. To say Engine xx 10-4k is incorrect. It should just be 10-4, but if you said Engine xx to manhattan k it would be the right way to use it as you are expecting a reply. In CW or morse code its always used to signify the end of a transmission.

Forum Member

As said above.....it basically means "I am done with my transmission, and am waiting or expecting a reply"

However, it is not done due to "throwbacks", "tradition" or simply to sound tough. It is an official term in our communications manual, and is to be used as part of our radio procedures,the same as any other terms listed in our manuals.

Thread Information