Thread: Station Tour

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Station Tour

Hey all,

I need some help.

I've been graciously volunteered to give a station tour to a local day care. I need some ideas on stuff to do with the kids. It's a day care so it'll be young, non-school aged kids. It's kinda short notice and we are a small volunteer dept. so we don't have much of a budget for handouts and such for fire prevention. I would like to do a little more than show them around the trucks and station, maybe something a little more fun Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have someone to help you a "Sparky" the fire dog costumes can be rented cheap. He really goes over good with the kids. Have him do stop drop roll. Read a kids fire saftey book to them. Do some basic explanations of family saftey plans.

Forum Member

They are too young to understand most of the tools. You can turn on the lights and show them basic tools like an axe. Stop, drop, and roll; don't play with matches; and a family escape plan are important points to hit. Don't worry too much kids love fire trucks so you can't really mess up. Good Luck!
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Hit up a larger community's fire marshal's office, perhaps they can help you out with some sparky coloring books. I also think the USFA has freebies they can hand out. Or perhaps you could get a local business to pick up the cost of some coloring books, handouts, and the little red plastic hats.

If you dont have a ladder truck or an ambulance, have a neighboring company bring one over. Raise the stick, and have a FF climb and wave to the kids from the top- always a hit. Allow the kids to see inside the back of an ambulance. Have the medic or EMT take the teacher's BP.

After you do a short tour of the station, spread out an old carpet on the apparatus floor. Have them all sit down, and do a show with another firefighter- have them dress out in bunker gear, starting att the beginning. Explain the bunker gear to the kids as he/she dresses (slowly.) Then have them don an SCBA, including mask, and have them plug in and breathe air. Have them get down on their hands and knees, and interact with the kidds. Encourage the FF to hold out his hands and encourage the kids to touch him/her......The idea is that he/she is a person inside all the scary stuff, and that he/she is the kids friend. Drive home the point that the kids should not hide from a FF.

While the carpet is spread out, after the FF does his bunker gear thing, do a "story time." Read a short fire-themed book to them.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default You're in good shape. You dont need money or trinkets to impress them at this age.

Children are not quite as enamored with the fire trucks as you might think, at the pre school level. At this age, they are easy to impress, very forgiving of small errors and are full of war stories...

Things that will get their interest...

have a firefighter put on turnouts and s.c.b.a. in front of the kids, show them that the jacket and plants are heavy and that the air tank help him breath in smoke... then tell them about where they can breathe in smoke....(setting up for your crawl low in smoke demo..) ... The kids get to see what a firefighter looks like with his gear on and on air... de-mystify the scare Darth Vader guy with an ax.. Then have him take off gear again so the kids get to see it was just the bob the friendly firefighter in all that...

Do a demonstration about what firefighter and people should do in fire and smoke... take an old wool blanket and 4 vols... one on each corner... hold the blanket at each corner horizontally at the 3 foot level... (this is the “smoke”) show them where the good and cool air is ..... Have them crawl out with the firefighter under the smoke.... anything to laugh and play with the fireman will be fun for them...

Pull out an engine and charge a booster line... or some other small hose.. let them shoot water at the "fire" (cones are great, but the kids really have fun when they get to get the firefighter in turnouts wet)...

Just keep in mind that they don’t need the most expensive truck to have a good experience there... coming away with a smile and seeing a firefighter in full gear and crawl low in smoke with be enough...

Relax and have fun.
    Last edited by Stopdropnroll; 09-26-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Forum Member

explain that they need to know their address, they need to know how to dial 911 and they need to know not to hide if they have a fire. Get out, stay out! They also need to know to wake up everyone if they have a fire, and the last but not least not to play with matches! I usually show them the rig, let them sit in it, make sure the above is covered and that they see one of us dressed and on air.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the ideas, i think i have an idea of what i'm going to do.

Thanks again

Early Adopter

Just remember... a kid's age is his attention span in minutes. I've seen guys give a 20 minute talk to the little ones and it just doesn't work.

As for what to do, there are lots of good ideas in this thread... Personally, we bunk out for the small kids, let them squirt water if the schedule allows and stress "stay low and crawl below" smoke to get out.

Forum Member

Make the gear dress up as innocent, and non scary as possible.

One thing we do, is have the kids tells us how to get dressed. Ask them, what goes on first? What should I put on next. Pass around things like your helmet (without letting them wear it, as it's to heavy for a childs neck), and maybe gloves and things.

We also make it fun. We have a guy that does a great performance. He starts out in his uniform. He asks the kids what he should put on first, because he's really tired from working all night. He needs the help, so it's their job to help him. They say the boots and pants. He goes to take his shoes off, and jokes about his feet, asking if they really want him to take his shoes off, as his feet might stink, yadda yadda yadda. When he gets the shoes off, he's usually got two different color/style socks on, and they are usually novelty socks, like Christmas, and halloween themes, or other things. Anything to get the kids to just laugh and relax works well. He also makes "mistakes" when getting dressed, like putting his coat on backwards, putting his boots on his hands, not being able to get his hood on, things like that. By the end of the demo, the kids completely forget about the "scary" aspect of the firefighter. You've shown them firefighters can be funny, and are silly, nice people under everything.

Forum Member

Pre school, day care age.. you are lucky to have their attention for 5 minutes (voice of experience, I was the Public Fire Edication officer for 10 years )!

Get acopy of the children's book "Sesame Street Visits the Firehouse" and read it to them. If you can get someone to do it with you, follow the prompts in the book ( putting on gear, etc)

If you have a party store in the area, see if you can get them to donate some plastic toy helmets to give out. You can download pictures of Sparky the fire dog from NFPA.org's kids pages, print them then duolicate them on a copier.

You can also ask another larger department for help in getting handouts appropriate to the age group. Get a few copies, and print them out on your station's copier.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-28-2008 at 09:44 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I forgot this one.... DON'T HIT THE SIREN!!!! A lot of kids that young don't like the loud noise.

MembersZone Subscriber

One other thing you could do would be to arrange with your dispatch to do a page so the kids can hear what that's like - could even have the dispatcher say hello to the group. If your station has bells or an alert system, dispatch could do that, as well.
    Joe O'Keefe

Forum Member

I volunteered to come into my child's Kindergarten class for Fire Safety week and they got a kick out of me donning my turnouts under a minute.

Also, since you're at the station suit up w/ SCBA and all and show the kids not to be scared of this guy if they have to come to your house.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    Pass around things like your helmet (without letting them wear it, as it's to heavy for a childs neck), and maybe gloves and things.
    Not only is it heavy... But some kids have lice. Everyone benefits from a "don't wear the helmet" rule.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    explain that they need to know their address, they need to know how to dial 911 and they need to know not to hide if they have a fire. Get out, stay out! They also need to know to wake up everyone if they have a fire, and the last but not least not to play with matches! I usually show them the rig, let them sit in it, make sure the above is covered and that they see one of us dressed and on air.
    This is perfect for that age group. Make sure they see a fireman "change their uniform" from the shirt and badge to the turn out gear wearing the Darth Vader mask.

Knowing their address and how to dial 911 is critical too.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Here are links to some publications by the USFA:

You can download them as a pdf, print them off, copy them and send them home with the kids if you are short on time, or you can order them straight from the USFA FOR FREE:

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pd...ons/fa-176.pdf
    Seasame Street Fire Safety Coloring Book

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pd...fa-294-508.pdf
    Fire sprinkers brochure for parents

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pd...-295-press.pdf
    Marty and Jet coloring book

Other links for free materials:

http://www.firesafety.gov/kids/resources/index.shtm
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys thanks for the ideas. The tour went well, the kids seemed like they had a good time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nitt87 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the ideas. The tour went well, the kids seemed like they had a good time.
    Just curious, what did you end up doing?

MembersZone Subscriber

I showed them the trucks, let them sit in the driver seat(they all loved it) and turned the lights on, showed the ambulance(the stryker power strecther was a hit), then we sat down and i talked to them about calling 911, knowing their address, and staying low in the smoke and crawled around on the floor. Had a FF get dressed and explained somewhat what it does in 5 y/o terms. I found a hodge podge of stickers and coloring books and gave that to them.

it seemed to me they all had a good time. I've been volunteered to do it again tuesday for the other day care. So i must have some something right.

Forum Member

How were the MILF's? They usually tag along.

Forum Member

I know this might be late, but if you can get a copy of "Elmo visits the Firehouse"($10 @ walmart,target) & show them the first 15 min. After the video then explain/show some of the things that they saw. I do this each year & it seems to keep their attention and it puts some of the nervous ones at ease a little. Also gearing up is very important and have them help you put the gear on in order.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    How were the MILF's? They usually tag along.

If the teacher is hot put her in some gear....the kids are not the only ones that will like that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltkeith25 View Post
    I know this might be late, but if you can get a copy of "Elmo visits the Firehouse"($10 @ walmart,target) & show them the first 15 min. After the video then explain/show some of the things that they saw. I do this each year & it seems to keep their attention and it puts some of the nervous ones at ease a little. Also gearing up is very important and have them help you put the gear on in order.
    Too bad my buddy Firefighter Rich doesnt get any residuals from that gig, him or Susie Blake. Its a big hit with the kids.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ha, a couple of the girls that worked for the daycare were ILF's, i don't think they were MILF's though. But very nice to look at.

Thread Information