Forum Member

Default MEDDAC EMS moving under DES

I currently work for the ARMY as a Paramedic under MEDDAC. Yes we work out of the hospital, 12 hour shifts(hospital admin. didn't like paying us to sleep) on a 42 hour schedule.
    I have heard the rumors and were confirmed that EMS will leave MEDDAC and fall under DES in the near future. Supposedly my base has budgetted for it this year. All the stations are built or being built with an extra bay for the ambulance per upper Fire Admin.

I've been a Firefighter/Paramedic for 20 years in Florida. By the time I decided to move out of Florida and enter the Federal Fire Service, I just turned 37, too old for initial appointment.
    I would love to get back to 24 hour shifts again. The pay increase from the extra hours alone would be nice.Under MEDDAC we are GS-7. I know the Fire retirement is way better than what we have and maybe some of that will come our way.
    So finally the question. Does anyone have any information in regards to this transition or their department has done or plans to do anytime soon?

If so, how did the Paramedics fall into the system?
    Were they still kept as a seperate entity or combined under fire and allowed to get fire certified/ become Federal Firefighters?

Under FLSA, EMS employees are exempt meaning OT is anything after 40 hours unlike Firefighters. Did this come up?
    Actually cross trained Fire/EMS personnel that spend the majority of their time riding the ambulance are still FLSA exempt anyways.

Thanks for the information!!

Forum Member

Anyone?? How about anyone that can ask around???

MembersZone Subscriber

Its really going to depend on the base you are at. Every base is doing it different, there isnt a set standard as to how this is going to work.

Forum Member

I've been told that it is a DOD directive for all bases to do this withen 20 years. Long time. Bases without on base ALS ambulance will go first like Key West NAS.
    Does anyone know of any bases that this has happened at already? Just trying to see the changes.

Forum Member

Crash

I have noted a few VA centers that had extended the entry age limit the last few years.

Thread Information