Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Question Responders to disasters

My father was in a meeting over at the fire academy. He was told that there was a (for lack of better work at the time) “rule” for who is allowed to respond to disaster areas for now on. Basically, from what he was told, you would have to meet certain criteria or training to be allowed into a disaster area. Once approved by the state emergency management you would be issued identification which would allow you into disaster areas. For instance:

EMT’s, paramedics, doctors, nurses etc would be allowed in, but basic first responders will not.

Those with HAZMAT, Search and Rescue, other specialized rescues and disaster specific training will be let in. Those with basic volunteer firefighting certifications, and I think just a firefighter certification alone will not qualify.

You get the idea. You have to have some sort of training along these lines to be allowed in disasters for now on. Have any of you heard of this as well? Do any of you know the exact criteria you must meet to be allowed into disasters?

Thanks everyone. Be safe out there.

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

To me, that's a very valid and legitimate debate to have because if you're not advanced qualified to handle such situations, you shouldn't be there. If you're trained and certified to be able to handle such situations then it only makes sense to allow those to enter the disaster areas and help out.

I have no idea if NJ, or my county, even has any requirements to be able to enter such areas, but I would hope so so that we don't have every person "thinking" they are qualified, but really aren't going in and possibly creating a more hazardous situation than it is.

That's my take on it.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

You should only respond when requested and/or activated by your FD/PD/EMS agency.

If you respond because "you feel its the right thing to do"... you are freelancing and more than likely be asked to leave; either voluntarily or forcibly.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

It sounds like you are talking about the resource typing/credentialing that FEMA has been working on. It's part of the NIMS system, you can find some information here.

From my understanding, what they're trying to do is basically what you describe. It's not so much to keep people out, but more to make sure you get what you ask for. For example, when you ask for an engine company, you'll get an engine that meets the resource typing requirements and 4 personnel. If you ask for a firefighter, you'll get one that meets the training that the credentialing designates.

Forum Member

Exacfly.

We resently went through this with the personnel we send down to south Louisiana after the hurricanes.

There are minimum requirements for any strike team, task force and USAR team members that respond on a formal EOC generated request. The basic level is FF1, and it goes from there depending on how specialized the request is.

If a department or region makes an informal request which does not go through the EOC to an agency or region, the requirements do not apply.

Forum Member

sounds like it is long over due

Forum Member

I agree with those regulations, mostly because you can be called a volunteer firefighter as soon as you become a member of the dept, and may have no experience or skills related to firefighting or other areas that would be usefull in a disaster. Of course there are plenty of volunteer firefighters who have lots of training and experience, but they would probably fit into the catagory of "other specific training" if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    You should only respond when requested and/or activated by your FD/PD/EMS agency.

If you respond because "you feel its the right thing to do"... you are freelancing and more than likely be asked to leave; either voluntarily or forcibly.
    EXACTLY!!!

THIS NEEDS TO BE STRICTLY ENFORCED AT ALL COSTS.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    I agree with those regulations, mostly because you can be called a volunteer firefighter as soon as you become a member of the dept, and may have no experience or skills related to firefighting or other areas that would be usefull in a disaster. Of course there are plenty of volunteer firefighters who have lots of training and experience, but they would probably fit into the catagory of "other specific training" if nothing else.

just like mutal aid fill-ins we want real firefighters, not a driver, 2 interior qualified guys and 4 wannabes

MembersZone Subscriber

If you'll go to the link I provided and look for the Fire/Haz-Mat section under Credentialling, you can see exactly what those qualifications are. They have them for ARFF, Firefighter I, Firefighter II, EVT, Apparatus driver, Haz-Mat Techs, etc. Most require training to the appropriate NFPA level, the appropriate NIMS training, and a certain amount of experience (2 years on most, I believe).

Numerous volunteers meet the qualifications and fall into those categories.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Nope............

Not Here. If you are called a Volunteer Firefighter in this area, it's because you have FFI, EMT-B, Hazmat Training, and lot of other small items with all of your training hitting the clock at about 325 hours. My only problem with Resource Typing and Credentialing is making sure it is created by, used by, and enforced by, the Fire Service and not Homeland Security/FEMA. Dave Paulison and Greg Cade are the only people in that area of Government that have any True Emergency Command/Operations Experience, the rest are desk jockeys who haven't a clue.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information