Forum Member

Thumbs up CAFS Retrofit sucess

Has anyone successfully retrofitted a Type 1 or 2 engine with CAFS?

Forum Member

What have you got
    There are people out there that have done many retrofits to CAFS
    I have worked with many service centers myself
    Ray

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I think he means as far as getting one funded with AFG. And there have been a handful over the years. Some are a lot more than others based on age, current plumbing, and space and many have decided better to go for new trucks in their applications or just deal with it until scheduled replacement time.

Forum Member

Talking

We applied to retrofit our 2nd out engine last year due to no water supply and long travel for tanker shuttles.
    The engine is in our second stn. and covers an island that is connected by a bridge that can get blocked, isolating that district. The engine is a 1991 with low hours and miles & is in excellent condition. The DJ came in the computer round. We feel that the cost [ 42k ] vs benefit was more than likely too high, due to low call volume along with the age of the engine to get past the computer. Oh well we gave it our best shot.

Not complaining though as our SCBA and radio grant made it to funding . Just trying to spend the last 3k of excess right now before the POP ends.

Forum Member

Default Clarification of question

We are looking at retrofitting an engine with CAFS. I'm looking to speak with someone about problems/successes encountered with the retrofit process.

Thank you

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

If you haven't done so already, you might consider posting this in the apparatus thread as there is a lot more information related to what you are asking there.

Forum Member

You can send me a PM and I can get you going in a good general direction
    Thanks
    Ray

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSTN20 View Post
    We are looking at retrofitting an engine with CAFS. I'm looking to speak with someone about problems/successes encountered with the retrofit process.

Thank you
    Chief
    Our neighboring department did this last year to a 1000/1000 engine. Not sure of the complete details of what compressor they used , but I do know that it took a couple of weeks with the truck out of service by the time they got it done & back to their department. There have been a few bugs since then that have needed to be fixed suck as check valves added and control sensor issues. All in all they are pleased with the results for the cost expenditure. I can find out more exact info if you like.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    We applied to retrofit our 2nd out engine last year due to no water supply and long travel for tanker shuttles.
    The engine is in our second stn. and covers an island that is connected by a bridge that can get blocked, isolating that district. The engine is a 1991 with low hours and miles & is in excellent condition. The DJ came in the computer round. We feel that the cost [ 42k ] vs benefit was more than likely too high, due to low call volume along with the age of the engine to get past the computer. Oh well we gave it our best shot.

Not complaining though as our SCBA and radio grant made it to funding . Just trying to spend the last 3k of excess right now before the POP ends.

The CAFS install wasn't an equipment grant app?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Adding generators, light towers, rescue tools (prepiped) and the like are equipment apps. Anything that involves chassis or plumbing is truck app. Wasn't well defined in earlier years so they almost let the CAFS go on both Ops and Vehicle for that reason. Now it's anything making the truck what it is being changed (tank, CAFS add-on, replace/enclose chassis, add pump to plain tanker, etc) is all Vehicle category.

Forum Member

Exactly what Brian said. We checked with our regional AFG rep and were told to submit it as a vehicle app.

Nothing ventured , nothing gained. As I said we did hit for new SCBA's and radios plus helmet mounted bone mike communicators, which are a really sweet piece of communications equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well that's dumber than dirt. This program gets more and more DC every year. Following in footsteps of NASA apparently.

So how do you handicap likelyhood of success with such as a CAFS retrofit app vs. app for say a tanker. For example: Rural FD flushed multiple years for - a $150k +/=tanker (payback etc.) so go for a CAFS retrofit $40-50k to attempt to solve shortage of water using Plan B. All things being equal does that make FD more competitive? Or are just as well off staying with the tanker project?

Similar to the issue of going for the used $50k tanker or go for the new unit. Spending less $ actually improve your chances getting thru the computer (but perhaps ruining at peer review)?

Thread Information