MembersZone Subscriber

Default Police Arsonist?

What the heck is going on in Wisconsin? I guess the bad apples are on top of the bushel!!!

TUESDAY, Sept. 30, 2008, 3:19 p.m.
    By Dan Benson

UPDATE: Officer engaged to firefighter

Port Washington - A Saukville police officer charged with setting fire to a vacant house in March is scheduled to be married in a few days to one of the firefighters who responded and extinguished the blaze, according to statements made in Ozaukee County Circuit Court this afternoon.

Melissa L. Kronebusch, 26, a three-year veteran with the Saukville Police Department, is charged with one count of arson and one count of 2nd degree reckless endangerment, both felonies for which she could be sentenced to 50 years in prison if convicted.

According to a criminal complaint, Kronebusch was spotted on a surveillance tape entering the house at 625 E. Green Bay Road, next door to the Saukville Police Department, at about 12:30 a.m. on March 20. About 20 minutes later, the video shows a glow visible in the southwest basement window of the house, which is owned by the village.

The video then shows Kronebusch leaving the adjacent parking lot in her squad car, driving through smoke that was already coming from the house, and then returning a few minutes later, at which time she reported the house on fire, the complaint says.

Saukville firefighters responded and extinguished the fire, which started in the area of the basement where the glow was seen. The fire caused $5,000 damage to the house, the complaint says.

One of the four firefighters named in the complaint as having extinguished the blaze was in court Tuesday and was identified by Kronebusch's lawyer, Michael Guerin, as her fiance.

The couple's wedding is planned for Oct. 10, he said.

Circuit Judge Joseph D. McCormack set bail for Kronebusch at $5,000. District Attorney Sandy Williams had asked for $50,000 bail.

Guerin requested that Kronebusch be released on her own recognizance.

Kronebusch appeared in court via teleconference from the Ozaukee County Jail, clad in a jail-issued orange jumpsuit and occasionally dabbing tears from her eyes.

McCormack ordered that conditions of Kronebusch's bail include having no contact with members of the Saukville police or fire departments, except for her fiance, and that she not leave the state except to visit her parents' home in Altura, Minn., just across the state line near La Crosse.

That means the couple will have to forgo their honeymoon and that many of those from the police and fire departments involved in the wedding will not be able to attend, Guerin told McCormack.

In a statement issued Tuesday, Saukville Police Chief Bill Meloy said Kronebusch was placed on paid administrative leave on June 26 and will remain there until an internal investigation is completed.

"This was a complete surprise to us," Meloy said in an interview, adding that Kronebusch has been a reliable member of his department during her tenure.

The Saukville Police Department employs eight patrol officers, two clerical workers and three officers, including the chief.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

The question begs to be asked ... why the heck is he still going to marry her????!!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    The question begs to be asked ... why the heck is he still going to marry her????!!!!!
    Silly. The fire was his wedding present!
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Silly. The fire was his wedding present!
    The sad thing is that for a lot of firefighters, a nice fire would just be the perfect end to a perfect day.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    The sad thing is that for a lot of firefighters, a nice fire would just be the perfect end to a perfect day.
    You're telling me?

MembersZone Subscriber

Classic.

The 3rd most popular motivation for arson - arson for vanity.
    A cop setting a fire to look like the hero saving life and property. This happens more than you realize. Thank God for security cameras!!

Huge embarassment for him and the fire department. I wonder if the wedding is still on? Maybe the jail chaplain can work something out.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

A cop setting a fire to look like the hero saving life and property. This happens more than you realize.
    Do you have figures to support this claim? I locked up over 30 fire fighters in my career. I locked up one cop.

Forum Member

Guess that took a little heat off NJ for a while

Forum Member

George..Were those all fire related incidents or other situations.

MembersZone Subscriber

**deleted due to popular demand**
    Last edited by Dickey; 10-01-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    George..Were those all fire related incidents or other situations.
    That was just for arson-related crimes. 17 years.

The cop case was domestic violence related arson to a motor vehicle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    There is no reliable source of firefighter/security guard/police officer arson statistics.

I guess it's more like firefighters and "security guards." Actual law enforcement officers are in there too but not as often. Most common is firefighter arson.
    Then how do you back up your statement? "Security guards" are distinctly different than police officers. If you made this up, you should delete or edit the post above.

MembersZone Subscriber

Then how do you back up your statement? "Security guards" are distinctly different than police officers. If you made this up, you should delete or edit the post above.
    I would have to agree. Comparing a Security Guard to an actual cop would be the same as calling a Security Guard a Fire Fighter because they were shown how to use a Fire Extinguisher once...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

George or whoever,

Do police departments / police officers have a problem comparable to the problem with Arson and the fire service? Is there any type of similar problem?

We seem to have had a large amount of "Using the color of law" violations by police departments in the midwest. Is that a national problem? Officers have had trouble trading speeding tickets or similar violations for sex, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fine, happy?

I had no intention to compare security guards with cops, you missed my point. I wouldn't compare the two either because there is no comparison.

I made the guard statement because 2 cases I did were set by security guards setting them and then putting them out to make themselves look like a hero. I was just saying it happens. Arsonsist cops are very rare but they are out there. That was my point.

Sorry I blew up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Last edited by Dickey; 10-01-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    George or whoever,

Do police departments / police officers have a problem comparable to the problem with Arson and the fire service? Is there any type of similar problem?

We seem to have had a large amount of "Using the color of law" violations by police departments in the midwest. Is that a national problem? Officers have had trouble trading speeding tickets or similar violations for sex, etc.
    There is no huge problem running rampant or a some national trend in the law enforcement community if that is what you are asking.

As a general rule, 99% of all cops are legit and are outstanding individuals and do a great job every day, in comparison to 99% of all firefighters.

It is the little 1% that might be involved in something or do something stupid like this that make the rest of us/them look bad. Yeah, there are stats out there that say cops/firefighters have a higher divorce rate or higher risk for alcoholism, suicides, health problems, etc. but there is nothing "common" that is a problem across the country.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Fine, happy?

I had no intention to compare security guards with cops, you missed my point. I wouldn't compare the two either because there is no comparison.

I made the guard statement because 2 cases I did were set by security guards setting them and then putting them out to make themselves look like a hero. I was just saying it happens. Arsonsist cops are very rare but they are out there. That was my point.

Sorry I blew up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    I think you missed my point. You made a statement.

A cop setting a fire to look like the hero saving life and property. This happens more than you realize.
    I asked you to back it up. You couldn't. You made it up.

That was my point.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's ok, whatever works man.

I just hope she hangs.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information