Forum Member

Default Cal Fire Hiring

Hey guys,

I'm a 20 year old college student with only my first responder and a few fire classes. I had an interview and got a 3 on it due to the lack of my fire experience. However, I politiced hard (I live 3 hours away from the unit I interviewed in) usually about once a week to different stations in that unit. On monday I got a call with a job offer. I mean this might be rare, but it just proves that you don't necessarily have to have all the certs as everyone else. But you need to be a salesman when you go to the stations. You need to show them that you are a better canidate than the next guy.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=dkline1;1050349]Hey dude thanx for the info. I did my station visits to about five stations big and small and they were quite helpful with everything. Now i guess we wait and see. Do you know when they start calling people for seasonal work?

From another thread I started I've been told you can get a call anytime, and that you better respond asap if you get a voicemail. Even if you get a denial letter, you can still be on a list for late hire, so its still not out of the ? You dont accept private messages? I was wondering if you've heard anything?

Wink

Politic your *** off

Forum Member

Hey guys, I wanted to bring this thread back up because I wasn't completely sure, by reading all on this thread, what I need to join CAL Fire. I would like to know the requirements and if I DO need to be a firefighter in order to apply?

From reading this thread, I see that an EMT-1, hazmat fro, confined space awareness, and CAL FIRE Basic Firefighter (67 Hours) is required and ideally what i need.

Also, where in the Bay Area can get the cdf wildland class(67 hours) cert?
    Is that class called S-130?
    Last edited by adlx21; 08-08-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Default Seasonal employment

Hey, I wanted to find out what type of odds I was looking in getting hired for the 2010 season. I am planning on applying to the forest service and cal fire. I'm currently a explorer and have been for 2 and a half years, I have also went to a wild land academy for explorers and have my I-100 S-110 S-130 S-190 L-180 IS-700 and going to finish my emt program around mid november.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adlx21 View Post
    Hey guys, I wanted to bring this thread back up because I wasn't completely sure, by reading all on this thread, what I need to join CAL Fire. I would like to know the requirements and if I DO need to be a firefighter in order to apply?

From reading this thread, I see that an EMT-1, hazmat fro, confined space awareness, and CAL FIRE Basic Firefighter (67 Hours) is required and ideally what i need.

Also, where in the Bay Area can get the cdf wildland class(67 hours) cert?
    Is that class called S-130?
    Technically the only requirements are that your 18 if I remember right, but you better teally wow the interview panel to get on with just your age. The system is set up so the more 'checks in the box' you have the better you do. In alot of cases the 67 is a must, there are cases of people being hired without it, but its something they look for, despite the fact that some units put on a spring 67 after they hire people. Once upon a time john doe off the street could apply and get a position but its not that way anymore.
    IDEALLY, you want to have your EMT-B, Hazmat awareness, confined space, FF1. I think paramedic is even a checkable box so having that doesn't hurt either, paramedics get grabbed up pretty fast.
    S-130 is not the 67 hour. The 67 is a seperate deal all together S-130 is a NWCG(basically the NFPA of wildland) standard class and the 67 is Cal-Fires own deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by thernandez63 View Post
    Hey, I wanted to find out what type of odds I was looking in getting hired for the 2010 season. I am planning on applying to the forest service and cal fire. I'm currently a explorer and have been for 2 and a half years, I have also went to a wild land academy for explorers and have my I-100 S-110 S-130 S-190 L-180 IS-700 and going to finish my emt program around mid november.
    I would say the odds of getting hired with the Forest Service are good. As long as you start calling Captains NOW as in monday morning. They will be extremely hard to get ahold of this month, but now is important timing. Get in AVUE and get ur app in for them, then call ever captain in the areas you want to work.
    As for Cal-Fire, well turn in the applications to every unit possible. You have to turn in your application in person for all units in South Ops, MVU(San Diego) RRU(Riverside) BDU(San Bernardino) TUU(Tulare) FKU(Fresno-Kings) BEU(Monterey) MMU(Mariposa-Merced) TCU(toulumee-Calaveras). The rest you can mail in. I would apply and go to any interviews you get just now that its VERY VERY competive out there right now for Cal-Fire postions, and you will have stiff competions.

Forum Member

Default Cal Fire Seasonal hiring 2010!.....

Anyone else hear wanna car pool soon down south reply!
    Stay safe!

Forum Member

Default Chances of getting hired?

I'm a certified EMT-P. I have reserve time along with ICS-200, Confined space awareness, and haz-mat FRO.

I do not have a 67 hour academy but am enrolled in one coming up in the next couple weeks. Can anyone give me some insight on chances of getting hired at either the San Diego or Riverside units as a Cal Fire seasonal firefighter.

Forum Member

Be prepared for STIFF STIFF competion in both of those units. In the last year I have seen people that were way way OVER qualified taking seasonal FF1 jobs because there is nothing else out there.
    But with your certs and experience I would say you should get an interview. So nail the interview and cross your fingers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2008TNFHS View Post
    Be prepared for STIFF STIFF competion in both of those units. In the last year I have seen people that were way way OVER qualified taking seasonal FF1 jobs because there is nothing else out there.
    But with your certs and experience I would say you should get an interview. So nail the interview and cross your fingers.
    Are there any units up North that are not as competitive as the others? I live down south and can only take off a limited amount of time from work.

Forum Member

Yes, but even that is competitive right now. But Yes, I would mail your apps TODAY for all the northern units. Might as well mail them to all the North Ops units, and see if you get an interview. I am not trying to discourage you, just so you have a reality check. I have seen people with every cert in the book and masters degree's trying to get a position.
    I reread your post(I misread it the first time I posted) and what certs you had, and I think you have a good chance in any unit. You should get an interview in any unit with that list of experience and certs(no guarantee's some units are only interviewing the top XX% of the applicants). With that being said, I would say that weather or not you get a job depends on the amount of reserve time and experience and your interview.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2008TNFHS View Post
    Yes, but even that is competitive right now. But Yes, I would mail your apps TODAY for all the northern units. Might as well mail them to all the North Ops units, and see if you get an interview. I am not trying to discourage you, just so you have a reality check. I have seen people with every cert in the book and masters degree's trying to get a position.
    I reread your post(I misread it the first time I posted) and what certs you had, and I think you have a good chance in any unit. You should get an interview in any unit with that list of experience and certs(no guarantee's some units are only interviewing the top XX% of the applicants). With that being said, I would say that weather or not you get a job depends on the amount of reserve time and experience and your interview.
    I have 9 years reserve time and 5 years fulltime with DOD. As for certs, I have all but the paramedic. I also have my fire science degree.

If I can get some interviews, I will have my captains and assistant chiefs help prepare me.

Forum Member

This might be in the job announcement, but I will ask anyways.

When we submit are applications for Seasonal Fire Fighter, do we include a copy of our certs and resume? I am thinking only the certs that they ask for on the application.

Thanks.

Forum Member

if your talking about calfire...NO you just sent in your application, they will ask to see all of that at your interview. I would take ALL of my certs to an interview, you never know what might bump you over the edge. If you have other certs it might mean that they have to train you less in certain things. It also shows that you are serious and this is the extra work I have done/am doing to advance my career in fire.

Forum Member

Does anyone know which certs are the best to get, besides the ones listed on the seasonal FF1 application? I was thinking Fire Fighter 2, Driver Operator 1A & 1B, Rescue Tech (confined space, swift water, trench), level 1 Fire prevention courses, ICS courses not included in 67. I ask for your help cuz I saw these classes and many more being offered close to where I live. But, I can only take a few.

Forum Member

Let me put this out there again. If you have ??? or need help with Cal Fire Hiring go to www.Californiafirefighter.com There are a ton of Cal Fire folks there to reply to questions.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    Let me put this out there again. If you have ??? or need help with Cal Fire Hiring go to www.Californiafirefighter.com There are a ton of Cal Fire folks there to reply to questions.
    The last guy "Calffbou" was banned for advertising this site here. The site is not going to give him anymore answers than he can get here...

Forum Member

Default I sent out all my apps for cal fire

i sent out all my apps for cal fire and i have a couple questions i need help with.
    so my story is i graduated from a fire academy with the emt portion. On the application for cal fire there is a box if you are EMT certified. i didnt click it because i have not done national reg yet so i figured im not eleiglble for that. Should i have checked it even with out national reg?
    and if so does that error pretty much slim my chances of getting a job?

also for the interview process i want to know what to expect. what kind of questions are they asking? and the deadline for apps just ended so should i be expecting a call? or should i call and introduce myself?

any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks.

Forum Member

I recieved a few interviews for the seasonal positions. The first is in Santa Cruz. It looks like you need your 67, EMT and Haz Mat FRO to be considered. Firefighter 1 was not mentioned in any of the letters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interviews Scheduled...

Looking for a few answers here.. I have received 7 interviews with CalFire Units thus far, 5 of which are in Northern California. I have been hearing that even though some units are scheduling interviews, that they still may not hire.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with that? Why would they go through the process, spend the money for interviews, but not hire ANYONE?

I ask only because it is a serious endeavor for me to take work off and get to some of these interviews. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Forum Member

I have heard of it happening, what happens more frequently is the go through the whole process and only hire say 5 people. Also there is the rehire factor that isn't known untill about interview time. Most employees that worked the previous season and are still in good standing have first dibs. basically they can get their job back. So even though there might be 40 'vacancies' those might all be filled by returnees. The reason they schedule interviews is because people change their minds or find other higher paying jobs. So the interview process creates a list of people they can hire off of in the advent of having openings. I know last year LNU only interviewed a few select candidates because they had no openings.
    My suggestion would be to try to get ahold of some of the captains in those units and see what they have to say, its possilbe that its just nor worth your time or money to interview.

Forum Member

Hey new guy here to firehouse

I applied at every northern station, I sent in my application and attached my resume. I sent them all out January 1st and have yet to hear anything back. I figured I had a decent resume to at least get an interview, I've taken many courses at my community college to get an AAS in Fire Protection. I've also taken S-190, S-130, L-180. I'm certified in Oregon as an EMT B but I didn't take the national test at the time so I didn't mark it down.

Here I am a month later wondering just what the process is here? At first I figured they wouldn't contact anyone until after Jan. 29th but now I see I wasn't considered at all?

Maybe i'll try next year as I have my NREMT-B, Hazmat ops, rescue awareness and some other stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default not sure..

Don't be too discouraged, I just received mine and I know some people that have the same qualifications as I do and have not yet heard anything. Like I said, I just started receiving min and I live in california, yours may be on the way....

I am still struggling with the concept of not identifying who is and is not coming back before you conduct interviews. That really just seems ridiculous. So they may spend who knows how much time and money (not to mention mine) just to find out a few weeks later they will not be hiring anyone. It doesn't add up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Btw

By the way, living in Oregon, are you taking the test for Portland Fire and Rescue this month?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tuite993 View Post
    Don't be too discouraged, I just received mine and I know some people that have the same qualifications as I do and have not yet heard anything. Like I said, I just started receiving min and I live in california, yours may be on the way....

I am still struggling with the concept of not identifying who is and is not coming back before you conduct interviews. That really just seems ridiculous. So they may spend who knows how much time and money (not to mention mine) just to find out a few weeks later they will not be hiring anyone. It doesn't add up.
    Ah ok, I'll just play the waiting game for a while then. I put in my application for oregon dept. of forestry so hopefully one of them works out! I applied for portland and will be taking the test soon, should be fun. Did you apply?

Thread Information