Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Let me put this out there again. If you have ??? or need help with Cal Fire Hiring go to www.Californiafirefighter.com There are a ton of Cal Fire folks there to reply to questions.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    Let me put this out there again. If you have ??? or need help with Cal Fire Hiring go to www.Californiafirefighter.com There are a ton of Cal Fire folks there to reply to questions.
    The last guy "Calffbou" was banned for advertising this site here. The site is not going to give him anymore answers than he can get here...

Forum Member

Default I sent out all my apps for cal fire

i sent out all my apps for cal fire and i have a couple questions i need help with.
    so my story is i graduated from a fire academy with the emt portion. On the application for cal fire there is a box if you are EMT certified. i didnt click it because i have not done national reg yet so i figured im not eleiglble for that. Should i have checked it even with out national reg?
    and if so does that error pretty much slim my chances of getting a job?

also for the interview process i want to know what to expect. what kind of questions are they asking? and the deadline for apps just ended so should i be expecting a call? or should i call and introduce myself?

any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks.

Forum Member

I recieved a few interviews for the seasonal positions. The first is in Santa Cruz. It looks like you need your 67, EMT and Haz Mat FRO to be considered. Firefighter 1 was not mentioned in any of the letters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interviews Scheduled...

Looking for a few answers here.. I have received 7 interviews with CalFire Units thus far, 5 of which are in Northern California. I have been hearing that even though some units are scheduling interviews, that they still may not hire.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with that? Why would they go through the process, spend the money for interviews, but not hire ANYONE?

I ask only because it is a serious endeavor for me to take work off and get to some of these interviews. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Forum Member

I have heard of it happening, what happens more frequently is the go through the whole process and only hire say 5 people. Also there is the rehire factor that isn't known untill about interview time. Most employees that worked the previous season and are still in good standing have first dibs. basically they can get their job back. So even though there might be 40 'vacancies' those might all be filled by returnees. The reason they schedule interviews is because people change their minds or find other higher paying jobs. So the interview process creates a list of people they can hire off of in the advent of having openings. I know last year LNU only interviewed a few select candidates because they had no openings.
    My suggestion would be to try to get ahold of some of the captains in those units and see what they have to say, its possilbe that its just nor worth your time or money to interview.

Forum Member

Hey new guy here to firehouse

I applied at every northern station, I sent in my application and attached my resume. I sent them all out January 1st and have yet to hear anything back. I figured I had a decent resume to at least get an interview, I've taken many courses at my community college to get an AAS in Fire Protection. I've also taken S-190, S-130, L-180. I'm certified in Oregon as an EMT B but I didn't take the national test at the time so I didn't mark it down.

Here I am a month later wondering just what the process is here? At first I figured they wouldn't contact anyone until after Jan. 29th but now I see I wasn't considered at all?

Maybe i'll try next year as I have my NREMT-B, Hazmat ops, rescue awareness and some other stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default not sure..

Don't be too discouraged, I just received mine and I know some people that have the same qualifications as I do and have not yet heard anything. Like I said, I just started receiving min and I live in california, yours may be on the way....

I am still struggling with the concept of not identifying who is and is not coming back before you conduct interviews. That really just seems ridiculous. So they may spend who knows how much time and money (not to mention mine) just to find out a few weeks later they will not be hiring anyone. It doesn't add up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Btw

By the way, living in Oregon, are you taking the test for Portland Fire and Rescue this month?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tuite993 View Post
    Don't be too discouraged, I just received mine and I know some people that have the same qualifications as I do and have not yet heard anything. Like I said, I just started receiving min and I live in california, yours may be on the way....

I am still struggling with the concept of not identifying who is and is not coming back before you conduct interviews. That really just seems ridiculous. So they may spend who knows how much time and money (not to mention mine) just to find out a few weeks later they will not be hiring anyone. It doesn't add up.
    Ah ok, I'll just play the waiting game for a while then. I put in my application for oregon dept. of forestry so hopefully one of them works out! I applied for portland and will be taking the test soon, should be fun. Did you apply?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portland

Yeah, I applied. I am taking the test on the 18th I believe. I have not taken a video based test before so I am a little nervous. You?

Forum Member

I have taken one before for Tualatin Valley F&R. It will probably be the same test. You can't really study for it, I ended up getting an 84.4 when I took TVFR's. You need atleast a 90 to get to the CPAT so i've been told. Your best bet would to just answer truthfully and remember these things: Don't lie, cheat, steal, sell out your buddies or be on the fence.

Good luck!

Forum Member

do they notify you through a letter for cal fire interviews?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanmallory22 View Post
    do they notify you through a letter for cal fire interviews?

Yes. I have letters for San Diego, Santa Cruz, Redding, and El Dorado, so far. Just started reciecing them a couple of days ago.

Forum Member

I am curious. If you score high on your interview, but dont politic or visit stations, are you for sure out of the running?

Kev

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    I am curious. If you score high on your interview, but dont politic or visit stations, are you for sure out of the running?

Kev
    No... but if you stick a snowball in the microwave, what do you think the odds are that you won't get a puddle?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCalElias View Post
    No... but if you stick a snowball in the microwave, what do you think the odds are that you won't get a puddle?
    I guess it depends on whether or not I turn the microwave on. lol

It is time to set up the station visits.

So I have an interviews for Tulare Unit and Amador El Dorado Unit on the same day a few hours apart. I cannot be two places at once. Does anyone have any idea on which unit I have a better chance of getting a spot with.

Forum Member

I'm in the same pickle. I have an interview with Calaveras and Nevada Yuba Placer on the same day, about 30 min apart. Does anybody know which unit has more openings?

Maybe the decision is which one would you prefer?
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Thread Information