Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Fit-5 Fire Extinguishing Device

Have you guys heard of this device? Here is a you tube clip www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Ig5CENwxQ

This device is awesome. We had a fully involved structure fire last night. The fit-5 was deployed and pretty much extinguished the fire. We used about 5 gallons of water. Incredible piece of equipment......cost abou $1000/ device, but well worth it. I complained in fun and said it takes the fun out of firefighting.

We where given one of these devices from the Fire Within calendar. We joked about it, but now that we have used it - wow. Incredible.

Any one else using this?
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Spam Spam Spam!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

So it has many uses then!

Forum Member

.....if you act now..I'll even throw in that 5 gallons of water !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by len1582; 10-01-2008 at 05:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone loves.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Now that's what I want to see.....

Billy selling Spam on late night TV!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Oh, be fair, now...Dave404 has almost 700 posts, if he was a spammer he would never have been around that long. I consider a spammer the guy who registers and starts trying to sell stuff right off the bat. Sounds like he's just asking if anyone else has used the device...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Oh, be fair, now...Dave404 has almost 700 posts, if he was a spammer he would never have been around that long. I consider a spammer the guy who registers and starts trying to sell stuff right off the bat. Sounds like he's just asking if anyone else has used the device...

Gosh - thanks dmleblanc - nice to see someone recognizes the fact that perhaps I am seeking a little more info on these units as well as that I am pretty pumped about something that could be added to the aresenal on the truck!
    Not selling these things, but from my experience with them ( one time use) these things are awesome. What I would like is some input on if any one else has used them.

I know they are the cats *** in an 900 sqft apartment fire that is fully involved. NOW - has anyone else seen this device in action? Does anyone know what the limitations would be?

I am thinking basement fires, apartment, hotel, strip mall applications are possible, but to what point could you use them effectively? Our apartment fire had all windows and doors intact - curious what the effects would be on a room with multiple openings?

Gonzo - follow this link www.spamrecipes.net/
    Last edited by Dave404; 10-02-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Forum Member

We just got our hands on a similar device called the STAT-X FIRST RESPONDER. Looks and feels just like a hand grenade (not the pineapples but more like a flashbang.) Saw video of a trial close to home here and was very very impressed. AM going to witness personally in early November. Difference here is this device weighs about 2.4 lbs. can be thrown, has a shelf life of 10+ yrs. and costs 150.00 a pop. Was looking for info on these things as far as others experience. Any one got anything?
    "The one man engine company...tough as hell cause we have to be."

"What we have here is a Charlie Foxtrot of the Mongolian persuasion."

Forum Member

ffpedro - the STAT-X looks like a very comperable product, and at $150 vs $1000/ use, may be a little easier to swallow.

Here are the websites for the two different products:
    www.arasafety.com/support/product-manuals.htm
    www.statx.com/index.php

Had a quick look and they both seem to do the same job.....has to be something to mke that big a price jump!?
    Last edited by Dave404; 10-02-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Forum Member

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 8, 11am, at The Connecticut State Fire Academy

34 Perimeter Rd, Windsor Locks, CT. 06096

860 627-6363

We will conclude with a complimentary lunch, (in order to have enough food, I need a head count.)

Live training by the rep!

Watch them burn up 4500 worth of extinguishers!
    Last edited by jonnyirons2; 10-02-2008 at 09:39 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys act like this is a new concept....Firefighter Brian McCaffrey of the Chicago Fire Department invented this technique years ago. You simply knock off the valve assembly of a standard dry chemical fire extinguisher and toss into the seat of the fire, effectively smothering the fire.

Or did I see that in a movie?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Not sure about the reasoning behind pricing but I agree that throwing away 150 bucks is alot better than 1000. Had a chance to speak at great length with rep about the product and he did give 100% guarantee (STAT-X.) There are limitations to the product and we understand that. I am really looking for some info from folks who have used or carry this product so that I may report back to the guys in the house about their findings, etc. I do know that it is a new product and has only been in country for about 8 mos., however they seem to be selling like hotcakes and before we spend the money we would like to be well informed.

Thanks once again

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    There was a guy who registered here pushing the Fit 5 as the be all and end all of firefighting.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks pretty cheap and hoaky to me. Like tossing in a smoke grenade...
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Spoke with a FIT rep today, they stopped by to give us a replacement and get some photo evidence of the results. The rep says that the STAT-X is limited in it's use and may take 2 to 3 to do a living room area. Both products are limited in the fact that the smaller the area and more secure the better the results will be. Apartment, basement, incipient stage fires are ideal for results.
    Apparently the City of Red Deer in Alberta is putting these on most of the trucks, a couple of departments in the New York area, and also Chicago. Like to hear some results from those guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    There was a guy who registered here pushing the Fit 5 as the be all and end all of firefighting.

Maybe, and I hope they ran that guy out with a sh!++y mop, but I don't think it was Dave.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave404 View Post
    Gosh - thanks dmleblanc - nice to see someone recognizes the fact that perhaps I am seeking a little more info on these units as well as that I am pretty pumped about something that could be added to the aresenal on the truck!
    Not selling these things, but from my experience with them ( one time use) these things are awesome. What I would like is some input on if any one else has used them.

I know they are the cats *** in an 900 sqft apartment fire that is fully involved. NOW - has anyone else seen this device in action? Does anyone know what the limitations would be?

I am thinking basement fires, apartment, hotel, strip mall applications are possible, but to what point could you use them effectively? Our apartment fire had all windows and doors intact - curious what the effects would be on a room with multiple openings?

Gonzo - follow this link www.spamrecipes.net/
    I am thinking Line of Duty funeral.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave404 View Post
    Spoke with a FIT rep today, they stopped by to give us a replacement and get some photo evidence of the results. The rep says that the STAT-X is limited in it's use and may take 2 to 3 to do a living room area. Both products are limited in the fact that the smaller the area and more secure the better the results will be. Apartment, basement, incipient stage fires are ideal for results.
    Apparently the City of Red Deer in Alberta is putting these on most of the trucks, a couple of departments in the New York area, and also Chicago. Like to hear some results from those guys.
    Or you could try a 1 3/4"! I'm just saying...

Forum Member

I remember a guy also touting this new technology as the holy grail and future of the fire service. It got me a little worried, for a second, but then I realized it will still take the same number of guys to search a structure in heavy smoke that the fires will still push throughout, as well as finding the fire in the concealed spaces, ventilating the structure, etc etc. Water will always be very cheap and very plentiful and most folks pay insurance companies too much money for one reason or another. It does look great for one room or small apartment fires, but so does a properly trained nozzleman. The smoke and fire is still going to ruin the structure with or without water damage. my 2 cents

Forum Member

We are to replace the trusty 1 3/4 line by any stretch of the imagination. It just looks like a fair way to buy some time and keep things on an even keel in a fair number of situations until you can appropriately mount an aggressive interior operation. Also would be nice when you gotta get somebody or when you find yourself in a bit of tight spot and need the extra 30 seconds or so to get some place more tenable. We are looking at it as a force multiplier for some of the jobs we get. I suppose it might help to explain that we run a "John Wayne" engine with one (yes that's right 1) guy on tour. We have on average 5 minutes until the second in comes with off-duty and POC folks. I know that everyone knows how big a room and contents fire can be in that amount of time. Forget about rescue if the situation is messy on arrival. We do what we can how we can with what we got and this STAT-X first responder seems to be a nice addition to the tool box but definitely not the end all be all and even they will tell you that. You still gotta do things the right way with hoselines and ventilation and all of that but until you get the right number of people there buying some time doesn't seem that bad faced with the alt. of letting the beast grow while you get things in order as far as a hose line stretched, 360, accountability, size-up, idea who and whats coming, etc. I just wonder if folks have had any success with these in real houses and not burn rooms and flashover trailers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffpedro View Post
    We are to replace the trusty 1 3/4 line by any stretch of the imagination. It just looks like a fair way to buy some time and keep things on an even keel in a fair number of situations until you can appropriately mount an aggressive interior operation. Also would be nice when you gotta get somebody or when you find yourself in a bit of tight spot and need the extra 30 seconds or so to get some place more tenable. We are looking at it as a force multiplier for some of the jobs we get. I suppose it might help to explain that we run a "John Wayne" engine with one (yes that's right 1) guy on tour. We have on average 5 minutes until the second in comes with off-duty and POC folks. I know that everyone knows how big a room and contents fire can be in that amount of time. Forget about rescue if the situation is messy on arrival. We do what we can how we can with what we got and this STAT-X first responder seems to be a nice addition to the tool box but definitely not the end all be all and even they will tell you that. You still gotta do things the right way with hoselines and ventilation and all of that but until you get the right number of people there buying some time doesn't seem that bad faced with the alt. of letting the beast grow while you get things in order as far as a hose line stretched, 360, accountability, size-up, idea who and whats coming, etc. I just wonder if folks have had any success with these in real houses and not burn rooms and flashover trailers.
    So your FD is willing to sacrifice the fight for adequate manning for a gadget. Speaks volumes for your administration.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    So your FD is willing to sacrifice the fight for adequate manning for a gadget. Speaks volumes for your administration.
    What about the small volunteer fire departments that get a call for a room and content fire at 10 am when most members are at work. One guy can make it on the engine, and the career department who is 2nd due is 10 minutes out?

Not every department is run by an evil administration who wants to save money and kill firefighters. Some are run by a very caring board of directors that wants to keep the lone guy that is able to respond safe...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    What about the small volunteer fire departments that get a call for a room and content fire at 10 am when most members are at work. One guy can make it on the engine, and the career department who is 2nd due is 10 minutes out?

Not every department is run by an evil administration who wants to save money and kill firefighters. Some are run by a very caring board of directors that wants to keep the lone guy that is able to respond safe...
    You're missing the point.

People are advocating replacing good, solid fire fighting practices with a gadget. Let that sink in for a minute. For example, someone on here was advocating its use on incipient stage fires. IF you have an incipient stage fire, why would you throw this gadget in there, which is going to do eons more damage with its agent than the fire will, when you could walk in with a portable water extinguisher or a small caliber line and put the damn thing out?

Use your heads people. Some of you are so wrapped up in wanting to be part of the "next new great thing" that you are losing the ability for rational thought. This gadget cannot scientifically do what is being claimed. The potential for misuse is great. The prospect for it killing fire fighters, increasing the risk to occupants (reduced visibility and a more toxic atmosphere) and an increase in the dollar value of damage is real.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You're missing the point.

People are advocating replacing good, solid fire fighting practices with a gadget. Let that sink in for a minute. For example, someone on here was advocating its use on incipient stage fires. IF you have an incipient stage fire, why would you throw this gadget in there, which is going to do eons more damage with its agent than the fire will, when you could walk in with a portable water extinguisher or a small caliber line and put the damn thing out?

Use your heads people. Some of you are so wrapped up in wanting to be part of the "next new great thing" that you are losing the ability for rational thought. This gadget cannot scientifically do what is being claimed. The potential for misuse is great. The prospect for it killing fire fighters, increasing the risk to occupants (reduced visibility and a more toxic atmosphere) and an increase in the dollar value of damage is real.

Bing-freaking-o!

Some mutt bean counter will see this and think that it will "save the taxpayers some money".... and try to eleminate firefighters and apparatus.

Well, unitl the Fit 5 can take command, give an intital report, strike additional alarms, perform a primary search, rescue occupants and overhaul, it's just anotyher "gadget".
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread Information