MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unhappy Kids May Have Been Dead For More Than A Year

This is an ongoing story/investigation in the news, and has been for a few days now. I had trouble believing it when I saw it first on the news, and reading it didnt help any. Just one more substantiation to the unknown limits that one person will inflict upon another, like no other creature on this planet.

Police: Frozen Bodies Could Date Back to Last Year. Bodies of dead girls tranferred from one home to another in freezer

POSTED: 9:50 am EDT October 1, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:43 am EDT October 1, 2008

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Police investigating child-sized remains found in a basement freezer in southern Maryland believe the children have been dead since at least last fall and the bodies may have been moved several times.

Lt. Paul Starks of the Montgomery County police says investigators are working on the premise that Renee Bowman's two adopted daughters were killed while the family was living in Rockville. Bowman's former landlord there has told police the family moved away in November.

Police searched the Rockville home Tuesday, but found no remains.

The remains in the freezer were found Saturday at Bowman's home in Lusby. Calvert County deputies searched the house after arresting Bowman on child abuse charges related to a third daughter. Autopsy results are pending.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

Bodies of dead girls tranferred from one home to another in freezer
    I just can not get past this one line. I want to ask "How?" and "Why?", but those questions would be rhetorical in nature, probably with no clear concise answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow...

Possibly one of the worst things I've ever heard.

MembersZone Subscriber

This really shocked me, especially since it happened in my neck of the woods. The house in Lusby is about a mile by road from where I live and in the first due of my last department.

I just can't imagine how anybody could do this to a child, or how something strange wasn't noticed when she was adopting these kids.

MembersZone Subscriber

Eng34FF, I knew you and a few other folks here are from in and around that area. I can't even imagine what your thoughts are; I'll be polite and not ask. I know mine, and those are bad enough.

I add to this, by saying I just read a news report from Illinois, about a 2 week old girl who was found in a garbage bin. Very well wrapped in good warm clothing, but abandoned none the less.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

I read this with a mouth hanging wide open

Aspen Hill Home Searched In Freezer Bodies Investigation. Neighbors Didn't Know Mother Had Children

POSTED: 7:20 am EDT September 30, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:18 am EDT October 1, 2008

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Investigators on Tuesday searched the Montgomery County home where they believe two children whose bodies were found in a freezer in Calvert County may have died.

Cadaver dogs were taken to the home on Vandalia Court in Aspen Hill. Investigators examined a section of the back yard where someone appeared to have been digging, but did not find anything.

"(The dogs) gave us kind of a mixed signal, so quite frankly, we thought, well, better safe than sorry," Capt. Patty Walker said. "Let's make sure that we close all the loops, and so that's why we dug into the ground, but we didn't find anything, and that's good news."

Renee Bowman, 43, is facing child abuse charges after her adopted daughter ran away from home Friday, which led to the discovery of two children's remains in a freezer in a search of Bowman's rented Lusby home on Saturday.

A neighbor helped a 7-year-old girl after she escaped her home on Buckskin Trail, according to the Calvert County Sheriff's Office. The girl had open and infected sores and lesions, wounds on her feet and knees, and ligature marks and scarring on her neck.

During Bowman's interview with police, she said she beat her daughter on several occasions with a white flip-flop with a hard heel, according to the police report. She told police that she beat her daughter because she was angry about her daughter's mental capacity and because she was stressed out, according to the report. {W.T.F.??}

Police said they believe the remains in the freezer are those of two girls, ages 9 and 11, who, like the 7-year-old girl, were adopted by Bowman.

Bowman adopted all three girls from the District of Columbia. Bowman adopted the oldest girl in July 2001. Three years later, she adopted a girl who would now be 9 and her 7-year-old sister, D.C. officials said at a news conference Monday in Washington.

Montgomery County police joined the investigation because the children may have died in that jurisdiction. Bowman said the remains had been in the freezer since before she moved to Lusby from Rockville in February 2008. Calvert County Sheriff Mike Evans said Bowman indicated that the girls had been dead for more than a year.

Neighbors in Aspen Hill said Bowman lived there for just more than a year. They said they never saw any children at the home.

Nicki Clark, a neighbor in Lusby, told News4 that when she asked Bowman if she had any children, she replied that they were grown. She also said she invited Bowman into her home when Bowman told her she had breast cancer.

Lusby neighbor Chick Baronick never heard a mention of or saw any children at Bowman's home, but he said she was friendly and outgoing.

Adrian Levin, who lives across the street, never saw any children, either.

"There was a mention that seemed to kind of relate that they had children," he said.

Some neighbors also told News4 that Bowman said she moved to Lusby to escape an abusive relationship, and that beginning three months ago, they often saw a man at the house, but she never identified him as her husband.

Residents of the northeast Washington neighborhood where Bowman grew up said she was a foster child who was raised by a woman who sent her to a private Catholic school. Bowman worked for years scheduling medical appointments.

Court documents indicate that in 1999, before she adopted her daughters, Bowman was arrested on a misdemeanor charge. She was accused of threatening a 72-year-old man whose car had struck hers in a crash. According to court documents, she demanded money for the damage and then said she was going to "get the drug boys around the corner" to break into his house and assault him.

Her misdemeanor conviction would not necessarily have prevented her from adopting through the D.C. foster care system.

Jude Iweanoge, an attorney who represented Bowman in a 2003 civil case, said he remembered a different woman.

"She seemed really nice," he said. "She was easy to get along with. Every time we talked, she was always smiling all the time."

Bowman has not been charged in connection with the deaths of the children.

The freezer was taken to the medical examiner's office in Baltimore. The autopsy began Tuesday.

Anyone with information about the case should call Maryland State Police at 410-535-1400 or the Calvert County Sheriff's Office at 410-535-2800, extension 2454.

Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Forum Member

Sadly, people never cease to amaze me. This is just sickening.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    This really shocked me, especially since it happened in my neck of the woods. The house in Lusby is about a mile by road from where I live and in the first due of my last department.
    I just can't imagine how anybody could do this to a child, or how something strange wasn't noticed when she was adopting these kids.
    That's because those called to serve as firefighters,EMTs or police officers usually do want to help and so we do not understand the mindset that allows some people to harm a child.
    Over the past few weeks,there have been a lot of child abuse stories on the local news and every time,I just have to wonder what the rusty F word is going on.
    I wish someone could explain the rationalization behind beating a kid or killing a child because they "had problems with toilet training,was too noisy while I was watching TV" and so forth.
    I sure don't get it.Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't grown ups PROTECT the little ones who cannot fend for themselves?
    It just makes me foam at the mouth about this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Eng34FF, I knew you and a few other folks here are from in and around that area. I can't even imagine what your thoughts are; I'll be polite and not ask. I know mine, and those are bad enough.
    I can't even really put my thoughts into words. I'm just glad I didn't have to respond, I dont' think I could have handled that. Fortunately, all i have heard about his is what has been on the news.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Hey 34??.............

Ranch Club???..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

There just aren't words to describe the horror of such an act.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ranch Club???..........
    How'd you guess Harve? Most of the interesting stuff down here happens in the Ranch Club.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup!..........

When I was working for Forestry, I did Patrol Duty down there when Rick or Brian were off. Some fun days, that's for sure..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information