Thread: Fdny

Forum Member

Default Fdny

how hard is it to get into the fdny? Just curious. Also what do they look for?

Forum Member

The fire service in general is a very competitive career to get into. Larger departments such as FDNY have thousands of applicants at every exam. In general they are looking for candidates with no criminal history, and a clean driving history. A good moral and ethical foundation, clean shaven, professional, and being in shape are a few of the many things they are looking for in a candidate.

Forum Member

More specifically, FDNY wont even talk to you without at least 30 college credits and a current NYS CFR certification (EMT is even better). You can sign-up and take the written test (that's money in their pccket!), but you wont go any further without the credits and the EMS.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Actually, the requirements are now 15 credits or 6 months full time work experience. No, EMS or EMT is required but after being hired you need to get your CFR-D training within the first year on your own time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NxtGenProbie View Post
    Actually, the requirements are now 15 credits or 6 months full time work experience. No, EMS or EMT is required but after being hired you need to get your CFR-D training within the first year on your own time.
    Those might be the MINIMUM requirements, but remember: There is a world of difference between meeting the requirements, and being competetive in a pool of thousands of applicants
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Those might be the MINIMUM requirements, but remember: There is a world of difference between meeting the requirements, and being competetive in a pool of thousands of applicants

We give a civil service exam about every 4 years...there is a written and physical. You are scored on these and given a list number and as long as you meet the minimum requirements you are hired in the order of your list number....there is no difference between holding CFR qualifications and being a medical doctor...you still get hired in list number order.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    We give a civil service exam about every 4 years...there is a written and physical. You are scored on these and given a list number and as long as you meet the minimum requirements you are hired in the order of your list number....there is no difference between holding CFR qualifications and being a medical doctor...you still get hired in list number order.

FTM-PTB
    who determines the list number or how is it determined?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by blinkd44 View Post
    who determines the list number or how is it determined?
    Reading comprehension is part of the written so based on your question above I'd focus on improving that skill.

The list number as I said was determined based on the written and physical. (although in the most recent exam the list number was determined by written only and the physical was pass/fail. This exam is a joke and hopefully won't be repeated in the next exam.)

No one chooses what your number is...your performance as compared to the others is what determines what your list number is (and there are points given to residents of the 5 boroughs, vets,..etc.).

Also do a search in the forums and read thoroughly, your answer is right there.

Forum Member

I took the most recent open competetive for FDNY and here is my experience thus far. I took the test in January 2007, it was multiple choice, pretty basic and easy. About six months later I recieved my score with a list number that was made by ranking peoples scores.I recieved my application packet in Feb. 2008 I filled out the application packet and went to HQ to hand in my documents. In June I began attending a Prep course for the C-PAT at The Rock and took my C-PAT in August. The C-PAT is a standardized test, pass/fail and you get three shots. After that I was called for an almost 600 question psych exam and a full medical exam. So far I have passed everything and will be going into the Academy in January. A few weeks before class begins I will be called to the Rock to do a 1.5 mile run in under 13 minutes, failure to comply means failure period.

Many veterans are a little ****ed about what they feel is a dumbing down of the requirements. However the Academy is tougher than ever having gone from 13 to 24 weeks long. The DI's also feel this way and do their best to weed out the weak in the first few weeks. This is not just a job, its a life decision. Even getting through the Academy will not be enough to earn respect in the house, just the right to prove yourself worthy to the men and women currently on the job. If you have what it takes go for it, the next exam will be in 2011 and you won't regret it.

It will be hard, it will be painful but if you never give up you can make it. The first time I attempted a time trial of the C-PAT I couldn't finish the stairs and my time was 12min 30 sec. Then I saw a poster in the gym at the rock that said no excuses, just results. I passed my C-PAT on the first try in 8min30sec and my medical on the first try. And I'll be damned if I don't keep pushing and earn my status amongst the best trained, most proven fire department in the world.

(sorry for the long rant, I am chock full of inspiration lately)

MembersZone Subscriber

so the next time we can even apply is 2011?

Forum Member

Many veterans are a little ****ed about what they feel is a dumbing down of the requirements. However the Academy is tougher than ever having gone from 13 to 24 weeks long. The DI's also feel this way and do their best to weed out the weak in the first few weeks. This is not just a job, its a life decision. Even getting through the Academy will not be enough to earn respect in the house, just the right to prove yourself worthy to the men and women currently on the job. If you have what it takes go for it, the next exam will be in 2011 and you won't regret it.
    you're right the "reformated" the test in an attempt to help certain people do better, but they'll just DQ them in the Academy anyways....

Forum Member

thank you for your input! i graduate highschool in 2010 and will be in college in 2011. However I plan on taking the test. I can't wait to get started at the rock. I know I am smart enough to pass and the only thing I lack is muscles. I need to start lifting weights. I could easily do the 1.5 mile run in easily 10 minutes or so. I will train for it though. I do not live in NY but I plan to go to school in the state so I guess that will make me a resident. I will also change my drivers liscenses at the dmv there.

Forum Member

I do not live in NY but I plan to go to school in the state so I guess that will make me a resident.

WRONG! New York and New York City are not the same thing. That's one of the best ways to get strangled by the millions of New Yorkers not from NYC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    WRONG! New York and New York City are not the same thing. That's one of the best ways to get strangled by the millions of New Yorkers not from NYC.
    um no. i know that they are totally different. i'm not an idiot. i also know if you live in westchester county or any of the surrounding county's then you qualify. i also plan on going to school in new york city so i should be fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

um no. i know that they are totally different. i'm not an idiot. i also know if you live in westchester county or any of the surrounding county's then you qualify. i also plan on going to school in new york city so i should be fine.
    While the six surrounding NYS counties are ok to live in, the five points for NYC residency makes a HUGE difference in where you fall on the list and may mean the difference between being hired or not.

Forum Member

you were the one that said college in state would take care of residency, not me.

Also I doubt they'll take a dorm as an address, you better get an apartment or live with someone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    you're right the "reformated" the test in an attempt to help certain people do better, but they'll just DQ them in the Academy anyways....
    Falls back on the Fire 20/20 BS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Falls back on the Fire 20/20 BS.
    only god can help us now, and god help all of the people that deserve the job that will now be marked as tokens due to this PC bull****.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I took the most recent open competetive for FDNY and here is my experience thus far. I took the test in January 2007, it was multiple choice, pretty basic and easy. About six months later I recieved my score with a list number that was made by ranking peoples scores.I recieved my application packet in Feb. 2008 I filled out the application packet and went to HQ to hand in my documents. In June I began attending a Prep course for the C-PAT at The Rock and took my C-PAT in August. The C-PAT is a standardized test, pass/fail and you get three shots. After that I was called for an almost 600 question psych exam and a full medical exam. So far I have passed everything and will be going into the Academy in January. A few weeks before class begins I will be called to the Rock to do a 1.5 mile run in under 13 minutes, failure to comply means failure period.

It will be hard, it will be painful but if you never give up you can make it. The first time I attempted a time trial of the C-PAT I couldn't finish the stairs and my time was 12min 30 sec. Then I saw a poster in the gym at the rock that said no excuses, just results. I passed my C-PAT on the first try in 8min30sec and my medical on the first try. And I'll be damned if I don't keep pushing and earn my status amongst the best trained, most proven fire department in the world.

You have a great attitude and will be a great asset to any department that hires you. Keep up the good work.

MembersZone Subscriber

blinkd44- you will be able to apply in 2011, but there is and age requirement of 21 to be hired,so you will have better chance in 2015
    Last edited by rawbff15; 10-11-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

yeah man. I see what you mean. I'll take the test and all in 2011 but also in 2015. Also yeah i'll move to NYC. It's my dream place in living.

MembersZone Subscriber

Start saving up.

Forum Member

although i do like your enthusiasm and it seems like your VERY motivated im afraid youve been misinformed.
    heres my take.
    1. The DIs are NOT weeding out weak probies. They CANT because of all the eeo BS. That means we are not getting top of the line talent. Instead were getting every tom dick and harry that made it into the academy.
    2. Cpat. pass or fail with THREE chances. BS. If you fail it you should be OUT. Theres no reason or excuse not to be ready for this test. If you have the slightest idea your going into the academy be prepared.
    3. The 6 month class. Theres only so much you can learn at the rock. Your stretching into the same buildings over and over, forcing the same doors over and over, searching the same rooms over and over. I dont think its that much harder. Plus now they have the probies spending a week at a firehouse doing day tours. If anything these guys should be coming out of the rock better then guys on the job already.
    Good luck kid and remember to keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYQBORO View Post
    although i do like your enthusiasm and it seems like your VERY motivated im afraid youve been misinformed.
    heres my take.
    1. The DIs are NOT weeding out weak probies. They CANT because of all the eeo BS. That means we are not getting top of the line talent. Instead were getting every tom dick and harry that made it into the academy.
    2. Cpat. pass or fail with THREE chances. BS. If you fail it you should be OUT. Theres no reason or excuse not to be ready for this test. If you have the slightest idea your going into the academy be prepared.
    3. The 6 month class. Theres only so much you can learn at the rock. Your stretching into the same buildings over and over, forcing the same doors over and over, searching the same rooms over and over. I dont think its that much harder. Plus now they have the probies spending a week at a firehouse doing day tours. If anything these guys should be coming out of the rock better then guys on the job already.
    Good luck kid and remember to keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING.
    I hear you on the C-PAT stuff, it was much easier than I anticipated. I also hear you on how much you can learn at the Rock. There is but so much I can gather on my own from the outside. When I get on the job, I do not want to be considered one of these *******s who slipped through the cracks, I want to be the best I can be, and I know that means just shutting up and learning as much as I can from my DI's and the guys in the house.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYQBORO View Post
    If anything these guys should be coming out of the rock better then guys on the job already.
    Say whaaaa???

Thread Information