Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: run reports

MembersZone Subscriber

Default run reports

hello, i am on a volunteer dept in ohio and i was wondering if there is any way i could get the run reports(the response times in particular) for our department, i have talked to our chief and our reports are often inaccurate in times listed on the reports (its not always done and times are sometimes assumed) i had also talked to the sherriff and after 3 days of getting the run around they said they only had the time the call came in on file, and what i had wanted(times dispached and time of arrival) would be very hard to get and too time consuming for them, saying their CAD system is out of date and not within reason. I wanted to compile a report for our dept. and was wondering if there was any other way to get this info. Thanks again.

also i wanted to come up with ways to improve response times and personnel responding? any ideas? thanks again!

Forum Member

Wentz - Sounds like you have taken all the approaches I can think of. Obviously the best source of times would be your dispatches CAD times. Call tapes (radio tapes) could also be of use, but are probably not realistic for reviewing large numbers of calls. If you would like some suggestions on how to record more accurate data from this point forward contact me directly at jarret@irtsoftware.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ARPSARWMD View Post
    Wentz - Sounds like you have taken all the approaches I can think of. Obviously the best source of times would be your dispatches CAD times. Call tapes (radio tapes) could also be of use, but are probably not realistic for reviewing large numbers of calls. If you would like some suggestions on how to record more accurate data from this point forward contact me directly at jarret@irtsoftware.com.
    thanks for the response. i will be sending you an email.

Anyone else have any ideas for this or improving response times and/or personnel responding to calls?

The best way that I know how to get this accomplished is to have someone on your department record these times. It doesn't take that long to jot down your "time of call", "time out of station", "time on scene" and so forth. Our dispatchers do a pretty good job of keeping our times, but occasionally, we have to rely on our own records.

It only takes a few seconds after the tones drop to write down:
    1. The nature of the call
    2. The address
    3. The time of page

When your vehicles leave the station, have your officer write down that time and then do the same when arriving on scene.

You need this stuff anyway to do your job. So, give it a try, you will be surprised!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Default Here is how a deal with dispatchers that forget!

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    The best way that I know how to get this accomplished is to have someone on your department record these times. It doesn't take that long to jot down your "time of call", "time out of station", "time on scene" and so forth. Our dispatchers do a pretty good job of keeping our times, but occasionally, we have to rely on our own records.

2. The address
    3. The time of page

When your vehicles leave the station, have your officer write down that time and then do the same when arriving on scene.

You need this stuff anyway to do your job. So, give it a try, you will be surprised!!!
    We have the ability to look at the CAD through a secure intranet connect. We can see all the call taker notes. If the dispatchers forget or if it is very easy to see they made times up. I call the supervisor and ask that the tape be played back and CAD times be amended. If this fails to solve the problem. I have them download the call to a disk or e-mail the file. We then get everything from the time the phone was answered to the termination of the call. This includes a recording of the 911 caller, tone outs, and all radio traffic. Then we call their department head with a formal complaint if deemed necessary. Most complaints occur when we find out the dispatcher had critical information and fail to pass it on to us.
    Example would be a person with mental health issues that has a history of violence. He also has weapons in the house. The call was dispatched as a person not feeling well. It was not fun to arrive on scene and have a man charge you with a butcher knife. The 911 dispatcher after the call tape got reviewed was suspended.
    We do have two different stations that man radio watches 24/7. If those stations are both empty do to calls, training etc. We don't get the times recorded in house.
    This has been long run down a rabbit trail to get to this point. Even if your dispatchers fail record your times in a log. Federal regulations mandate that all calls and dispatches be voice recorded with time references. This is because the recordings can be called into court as evidence. You can get these times if you force the issue.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

My fire company fills out "run sheets" for each call we go on. Someone will usually be at the firehouse to record all the information necessary and those reports go into the NIFRS report at the end of each month I believe. Some of our pagers, Motorola Minitor IV's, have repeaters on them so someone can easily playback the call and find out the dispatch time and if there is a discrepancy with the time(s), we can always contact the county sheriff's department (they handle all emergency dispatches) and resolve the issue(s). Our most recent fire had a time discrepancy from the Sheriff's Department and the dispatcher's times so my Chief had to clear it up in order to clear himself of anything just in case someone looked into further and saw that.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wentz34 View Post
    thanks for the response. i will be sending you an email.

Anyone else have any ideas for this or improving response times and/or personnel responding to calls?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for all the responses!!

Anyone else have any ideas for this or
    improving response times and/or personnel responding to calls?

Quote Originally Posted by cubbie View Post
    You can get these times if you force the issue.

Looks like you guys have done a good job of covering call times.

With the above statement.....it would be easier to record your own times than have to "force the issue" on every call.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

While we are waiting for a regional dispatch center to be planned and built, a couple of our stations out here installed these units (Telecorder TC-02):

http://www.omnicronelectronics.com/tc/telecorder_p2.htm

It was worth about $1000 CAD installed, and as long as your crews make a radio transmission indicating noteworthy events such as; leaving hall, on scene, water established, interior attack, knockdown, etc., you will have a decent record for run reports. Relatively cheap if you can't afford a more elaborate central system for your dispatch just yet.

It can also record phone lines at the hall if needed.

As for your current situation, if the dispatch doesn't have the logs, you are likely SOL for historic data.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 10-07-2008 at 03:11 AM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Wentz, still looking forward to chatting with you soon.

Forum Member

We just call the dispatcher and have them give us a rundown of our times, nothing easier than that.

I agree with this. I am a fire policeman in my department and I keep a notebook in my POV that contains similar information:

1. Date
    2. Time of the tone
    3. Box type
    4. Address
    5. Time of the recall
    6. Mileage

This way I have room to add my own notes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post

2. The address
    3. The time of page

Thread Information