Forum Member

Default Cholesterol Question

Hello all,

I am a 28 y/o male and I am in the final stages of the testing process with a large department. After receiving my medical/physical results, all was well except one thing: High Cholesterol. The personnel dept. sent me a letter stating I had High Cholesterol and needed to schedule an appt. w/ my personal physician. I was shocked! I am 28, 5'10", 177 lbs. and in the best shape of my life. I eat well (no fast food) and I workout and run on a regular basis. I'm not sure how much of that Chol. level is good and bad HDL/LDL, but I am a bit frustrated to say the least.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with this in their hiring process? If so, are you frozen until you lower it within normal ranges?

2) What are some proven ways I can lower my cholesterol quickly? As I mentioned, I am already working out and am in good shape.

My diet contains quite a bit of protein i.e. chicken breast, nuts, shakes, eggs, tuna, yogurt, etc. I drink about a gallon of water/gatorade each day and I drink alcohol maybe once a week which consists of just 1-3 drinks.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post

2) What are some proven ways I can lower my cholesterol quickly? As I mentioned, I am already working out and am in good shape.
    Cheerios say they can lower your cholesterol!!
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not know how it will effect the hiring process but it sounds to me like you are doing the things that need to be done on your end. The most important thing is to check with your MD and ask them for advice. A REGISTERED dietician consult may not be a bad idea as well. Do the best you can and get as much info as possible but you may want to check your family history...genetics play a role in high chol as well. Good luck.

FF-EMT

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    Hello all,

I am a 28 y/o male and I am in the final stages of the testing process with a large department. After receiving my medical/physical results, all was well except one thing: High Cholesterol. The personnel dept. sent me a letter stating I had High Cholesterol and needed to schedule an appt. w/ my personal physician. I was shocked! I am 28, 5'10", 177 lbs. and in the best shape of my life. I eat well (no fast food) and I workout and run on a regular basis. I'm not sure how much of that Chol. level is good and bad HDL/LDL, but I am a bit frustrated to say the least.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with this in their hiring process? If so, are you frozen until you lower it within normal ranges?

My diet contains quite a bit of protein i.e. chicken breast, nuts, shakes, eggs, tuna, yogurt, etc. I drink about a gallon of water/gatorade each day and I drink alcohol maybe once a week which consists of just 1-3 drinks.
    Unfortunately, genetics can play a very big part in your cholesterol level, so I would followthe reccomendation and see your personal physician and see what needs to be done. I can understand your frustration
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

So I visited my physician and had more blood work done. Cholesterol dropped a whopping 40 points! Down to 189. The reason for being so high during my medical was probably because i did not fast before it. This time I did and I have also been eating a heart-healthy diet for a couple weeks straight. I'm going to keep on the diet because I feel great and it'll be better in the long run. Lots of fruits/veggies, fish, whole grains, fiber, and omega-3 oils. mmmm

Question Same here

Same problem here almost through the hiring process and the dr sent my results as having high cholesterol also borderline high i guess they call it 232. just wondering if anyone knows what this means as far as getting hired?? are they going to pass right over me becuase of this please help
    dan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Diet...

emmex510:
    Glad you fixed the problem. Tha fasting is a big deal. I was going to ask you for a weeks worth of diet records... and I might be able to pick out waht was causing it... that may have been hidden.

A few years back, In addition to what you have already done, i took it 1 step further, and got my Cholesterol so low and my HDL-LDL ratio so good, my GP couldn't believe her eyes. She said she thought I was healthy before, but my next tests after these small changes, and she has never seen #'s or ratios so good EVER:

1/2 glass of red wine 3 times a week. (yes, it worked for me)
    Use Smart Balance products instead of butter/oil/peanut butter. They taste great, and it's a very easy shift to make. now I have no guilt about eating peanut butter or putting butter on my bread.

Just another idea!!!

dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 01-01-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

Here is a link to the "red wine helps you live longer" study / pill

I have good news too .. they are trying to figure out a way to put the drug in to beer to save the rest of us.

Forum Member

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/04/...maker-sirtris/

here is the link i forgot but i cant see my message so i cant edit it ...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Owenscott

funny comment, thanks...

I am in the same boat as you! well not as fit, but i just had my cholesterol tested and it was way too high for my age.

Some things i've read about and applied:
    1. Engine 2 diet, basically a vegan diet (no animal products, which is where all the bad cholesterol comes from), they did tests with the diet and firefighters who had high cholesterol lowered it within a month to a resonable level. I still eat chicken, but cut out redmeat, milk and eggs.

2. I take a garlic supplement. My step-father's cardiologist suggested it after some studies and trials they had been doing. I take 2000mg a day. I havn't had my cholesterol retaken since i started but i will at my 6mo mark.

Hope that helps! Good luck on the job outlook!

Sounds like a lot of good came out of this for you, instead of the bad you expected. Turns out nothing is wrong, but you know now to be more careful than you were. Genetics can also play a big role for some people who eat healthy and stay fit to begin with. I would definitely recommend a garlic supplement as well. You can get the odorless pills now, so they're easy to add to your routine. But garlic is known to be good for your heart, and it's good for the body in a variety of other ways as well. And it's a pretty inexpensive supplements as well (I found it at seacoastvitamins.com for a good price). So I'd definitely look into that if I were you.

Thread Information