Forum Member

Default SCBA Reduction in the 10 Questions Email

Good news, our department received the 1199A update and 10 questions email, bad news, we were told our price was too high.

I understand that the Feds have a cap on equipment, but we shopped around and to purchase the new CBRNE compliant SCOTT SCBA with 45 minute bottle (and spare) plus face mask with voice amp and bracket (not to mention the "Pac Tracker" locator) the price was $6,162.00. The emailed stated the cap was $5,250.00.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Forum Member

This was a big discussion item last year as well. You need to talk to the scott rep and tell him to sharpen his pencil and make their bid competitive. They are well aware of how much the AFG program will pay & the Feds really hate getting ripped off. We just purchased 07 compliant MSA packs and lets just say that we payed less than half that amount per 4.5 pack with a spare bottle. Our regional AFG rep was quite amazed at how good a bargain we managed to get from our AFG dollars.

Forum Member

Thanks for the update. is my quote for SCOTT specific units that high?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFD View Post
    Good news, our department received the 1199A update and 10 questions email, bad news, we were told our price was too high.

I understand that the Feds have a cap on equipment, but we shopped around and to purchase the new CBRNE compliant SCOTT SCBA with 45 minute bottle (and spare) plus face mask with voice amp and bracket (not to mention the "Pac Tracker" locator) the price was $6,162.00. The emailed stated the cap was $5,250.00.

NorCal,

My air pack request was funded at $5787.

From the narrative "19 - New NFPA 1981, 2007 compliant Scott 2.2 Air Pack 75s SCBAs with, ... ...30 Minute Carbon Cylinders, 30 Minute Spare Carbon Cylinder, Pak Alert Integrated PASS, Heads Up Display, Voice Amplifier and Face piece Storage Bag @ $5,787.00 each"

Scott rep was eager to get the business and worked with Tyco to close the deal.

Forum Member

Default warctyfirecd

In some states distributors sell equipment at "State Contract" prices. This is supposed to keep the price down. Often it does not! Let's just say mosat of the time when government gets involved it causes things to get more expensive.

Maybe you live near the border of another state and you could purchases the SCBA from an out-of-state vendor for a much cheaper price.

Hey if I'm only going to save a percent or two, I'm going to give my business to a local vendor. If youcan save say 3 percent on a $5,000.00 SCBA unit, and you are purchasing 20 of them. That is a $3,000.00 savings. I'm sure you could pay one of your members gas and throw him a hundred or two for travel to another state to pick up some "Out-of-State" units. Most of us would do it for nothing. I know I would.

MembersZone Subscriber

For $5000 you can buy 4500psi NXG or AP75 with 2x cylinders, AV3000 w/voice amps and bracket and paktracker. And throw in Dual EBSS. You need to find a more motivated sales rep and demand the Scott regional rep come to your FD for a demo. Mention the other inferior brands as strong contenders for your purchase (as you can afford them). Scott knows the FG limits quite well.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Paktracker isn't included in their pricing limit, so that had to be entered as an Accountability system in the application to be considered, not as part of the SCBA.

You can pay more matching to make it happen but they're not paying more than the 95% match on $5250. Or check other vendors.

Forum Member

I got my 2007 compliant Scott SCBA with spare 45 min cylinder last year when the allowance was only $5250. We had to come up with more matching, but its amazing how the price can drop from a vendor when you say you have to take your money elsewhere

Forum Member

Thanks to all for the insight. I will be having a heart to heart conversation with our SCOTT rep at the open of buisiness tomorrow morning.

Another question, would it be "allowable" to contact the AFG staff and ask to have the PAC-Tracker device put as a seperate line item in our grant proposal and try to have it funded that way?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks to all for the insight. I will be having a heart to heart conversation with our SCOTT rep at the open of buisiness tomorrow morning.

Another question, would it be "allowable" to contact the AFG staff and ask to have the PAC-Tracker device put as a seperate line item in our grant proposal and try to have it funded that way?
    It doesn't hurt to try, the worst case is they will say no. Better to try and know vs. never trying and not knowing.

IMO it would not be approved. The decisions are based on what you wrote and supplied in the application; in this case a complete SCBA package. The PAC-Tracker would have been a line item from the start.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pactraker is integral to the SCBA electronics. To order with paktracker activated it changes one digit in the part number and +$200. You have sufficient $ just order it that way in my opinion. Maybe you have to come up with $1250 for the handheld. Or maybe just have the vendor throw it in I'm sure you can make the invoicing work out.

What the difference between that and adding a repel seat or gut belt in your TO gear pants? Or upgrade from Nomex to Advance. You have sufficient $ and you're meet the performance objectives (more than meeting).

Forum Member

Thanks again for the insight and help. I will be negotiating with our SCOTT rep tomorrow and will let you all know how that goes. I am hoping to get our original specifications for the cap that FEMA gives.

Forum Member

Talking There are other vendors

Remind him that there are more sales reps out there that WILL meet the AFG price and tell him you don't want to buy his wife a new car off one sale.

Forum Member

I just went up against Scott on a bid (I sell MSA) and Scott came in with their Pak Traker, spare cylinders and masks, 45 min cylinder all for $5000.00. I think the local distributor had to get some special pricing from corporate to come in that cheap with the Pak Traker included, but it can be done.

Forum Member

Low and behold, the rep was more than willing to come down, big surprise! Interesting market as he was the lowest of three bids prior to the reduction. Thanks again for everyone's help and insight.

Forum Member

Low and behold, the rep was more than willing to come down, big surprise! Interesting market as he was the lowest of three bids prior to the reduction. Thanks again for everyone's help and insight.
    It's amazing how they can all of a sudden find a much lower price when told there is a possibility of not getting a sale. I guess the profit margins are pretty healthy on airpacks since they can cut 1000.00 off of the original pricing and still make money.

Thread Information