Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Experience with short WB and OAL 100' quints

Hello.

We are in the process of looking at a new ladder to replace our 1989 100' ladder tower. Im not asking for opinions on what to get, rather any experience with short OAL and WB 100' quints. The one I have been looking at is shorter than most 75' quints. Its a KME that is 36.91' OAL and 208" WB (tandem).

http://www.warrenfireequip.com/2006_...wellington.htm

Im concerned about the short WB eating up tires. Most 100' quints I see are at least 225" WB and 40' OAL. This is also a 4 section aerial. I havent had experience with anything other than 3 section aerials. I would imagine the fly would be pretty shallow and narrow, and more sway than a 3 section?

Any other manufacturers that can make a 100' quint this small save the Metz?

Two depts in our area have 2001 Aerialcats and both are very displeased. How about other depts. out there with Aerialcats?

Forum Member

That aerial has been discussed here before. Have you seen this aerial in person? It looks like a 3 section ladder in the picture and without seeing the drawing, I'd never believe that truck has a WB of 208 and an OAL of 36'. That's pretty much the same dimensions as an Engine.

I think Seagrave does a 100 foot rear mount on a single rear axle that I'm sure you could stretch into a quint and be short, but you'd have to go to a tandem rear I'm sure due to the extra water and pump weight.

I think you're also in a 250 pound tip load aerial at the extremes of the operating envelope as well, so you may want to verify that fact.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Van -- 36' 10-11/16" long, 208" WB, 136" OAH, 1750/600, 100' ladder.

http://www.antietamfireapparatus.com...gs/GSO6815.pdf

Forum Member

Default Lots of ways to skin a cat!

You can always find different or better ways to skin a cat....just research, talk to many and truly get a builder who will do things YOUR way. I would also lend, you do not design an apparatus that quickly becomes a personal momument giving both you and the builder a headache to live with for the 20 years you own it! As far as the KME comment. I think there are many units out there that have tarnished reviews, including EVERY major manufacturer with a horror story! I can say from the units I have seen, KME is a significantly changed and polished company from where they were just a few short years ago. The newer Predator cab is really something to look at, beneath the exterior pretty "skin", it is built rugged as hell! Seems as though John Kovatch has stepped up to the plate, hired a serious staff of engineers, committed for the long term and has assembled a team to step into the 21st century. Just an opinion, as there bar has been raised in the business, with ALL manufacturers having to produce quality products or be gone. The "ok" truck is something of the past and I think there are now two or three types of builders: "legitimate, producing a quality ENGINEERED product and of SOUND financial performance"....or "junk - garage shop guys".....or if I add a third...."all LOOKS good, great exterior image, decent trucks and flat on their backside financially - which is going to see even more changes with the economy and budgets in their current state"...

I found another short wheelbase 100' on the Antietam website while looking at the other one. Its a rig for Tamaqua PA. No pump, but a full through locker where the pump could be installed. I do know one of the people from this Department if it interests you. Let me know and I could get you his contact info for a "direct" opinion, not hearsay:

http://www.antietamfireapparatus.com...gs/GSO6563.pdf

I found another real short wheelbase ALF in CT, but with the continued state of affairs with them....you can be the judge of that! Again, meet with many builders, evaluate, thin them out after presentations, then concentrate with the one you like the best and cover EVERY detail BEFORE you go to bid! Best of luck in your search. Be safe and good fishing!

Fish

Forum Member

Thank you for all the comments. Keep them coming.

I would appreciate an email address to talk to a Tamaqua guy.

Thanks for the drawing too, I have Wellingtons spec, but was looking for a drawing.

Forum Member

The Huntington Fire Dept. in Long Island NY put one in service in the beginning of this year. They love it. I've looked it over and was very impressed with it. It has 650 gallon water tank and it handles thier tight streets and hilly areas with no problems.
    Here's the drawing. I cant find any pics of it.
    It was on the back cover of FAJ a few months ago.

http://www.chieffire.net/drawings/LI...int%206773.pdf

Forum Member

Jack spread on these KME's?

Is the fly rediculously narrow?

MembersZone Subscriber

Great questions!

PM me and I can send you some more drawings for an idea.

Forum Member

Your PM's arent turned on. ekambari@myway.com is my email. Thanks.

Forum Member

OneL1L,

Thanks for the clarification and drawing. That is impressive. In the drawing provided I see the longest ground ladder is only 30', I would hope you could get a 35' in there. The truck bodied version that Fish provided has quite the ground ladder compliment.

Thread Information