Thread: Need Some Ideas

Forum Member

Default Need Some Ideas

Hello All;
    I need your help gathering some ideas. We just put a new Engine in-service and there is SOOO much extra compartment space on the rig that we have empty compartments. The truck is already outfitted with everything that NFPA suggests for a Class A pumper. We're looking for new ideas for different tools and such to make our already tough jobs a little easier. I would appreciate any web links for 'different' tools and such or maybe just some ideas. All help is appreciated!

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfdlt109 View Post
    Hello All;
    I need your help gathering some ideas. We just put a new Engine in-service and there is SOOO much extra compartment space on the rig that we have empty compartments. The truck is already outfitted with everything that NFPA suggests for a Class A pumper. We're looking for new ideas for different tools and such to make our already tough jobs a little easier. I would appreciate any web links for 'different' tools and such or maybe just some ideas. All help is appreciated!

Thank you
    Check out our rig here...

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=100380

Forum Member

WOW....I don't think that we have ever had that problem.

You don't need to fill you compartments just to be filling them. Take a hard look at what kind of calls that you have been having and produce your list from this. It won't take long to fill them.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

What do you types of runs do you mostly take in?
    Any special hazards in your area?
    Any items that are used alot that could be duplicated or different variations be added?
    Have you asked others at the station what they would like to see?

I wouldn't throw stuff on there just to take the space, over time it'll probably be filled. Why stuff it when you don't have to stuff it?

Throw some extra cribbing and quik dry on there, can never have enough of it.

Forum Member

It doesn't take much space, but a 2 1/2 cap with an air fitting on it and a short piece of air hose with the right connections can be used to turn a length of 2 1/2 or 3" hose into an inflatable device for quick water rescue.

Brooms and a scoop shovel are always nice.

A case of water for rehab? A dept near me actually keeps a small dorm-type refrig on one of their engines loaded with water and plugged in to the 120 volt AC shorline.

MembersZone Subscriber

GREAT IDEA!!!! We'll trade you our engine with not enough compartment space for your engine with too much. Its a win win situation in my eyes.

Forum Member

Uhh...the pictures I saw in the thread you mentioned show a rig outfitted with quite a lot of equipment. And I don't see these empty compartments you are speaking of. The rig seems well equipped and full based on the pictures I saw.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's hard to recommend additional equipment without knowing how you use the engine and what other equipment you can count on.

My first suggestion is to make sure that you have plenty of fittings and adapters. After that, you might consider a PPV fan or smoke ejector and maybe a combination tool and some cribbing. Chainsaws are also useful in many situations around here.

Forum Member

if you already have it loaded with the neccassary items you may look at adding things such as salvage covers(tarps), drinking water can, folding chairs for R&R, spare bottles, forcible entry tools, spare donuts(hose), even spare PPE supplies(gloves, nomex, and such)
    i dont believe i have ever seen a fire truck that didnt have every nook and cranny stuffed with something
    Last edited by onlocation; 10-06-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast68 View Post
    Uhh...the pictures I saw in the thread you mentioned show a rig outfitted with quite a lot of equipment. And I don't see these empty compartments you are speaking of. The rig seems well equipped and full based on the pictures I saw.
    Uhh...the pictures were not of the OP's rig, they were posted as a reply to the OP to generate some ideas of what kind of stuff might be carried on a well-stocked truck, which was pretty much what the OP was asking for
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Sorry, That makes a lot more sense.

I agree with the idea of some rehab supplies mentioned by other posters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Speedy dry...
    spare gloves/gear
    tools....(axe, halligan--they can get lost..)
    blankets
    tarps
    bottled water
    hazmat awareness/operations level items (pigs, pads, etc...)
    extra tool boxes w/wrenches, screw drivers..
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

...traffic cones
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

If you have room for it, one of those easy free-standing pop-up canopies. We carry one on our rescue truck. It's handy for a shady spot for rehab, but where we really use it a lot is when we get called to an MVA in the rain. Sets up in seconds, and once you have your patient out of the car you can finish your packaging under the canopy so the patient doesn't have to have rain falling in his face. It's also wide enough to straddle the whole car if need be, so if you have removed the roof and still have some entrapment, medical folks and patients can be out of the rain. It's pretty handy and it's quick and easy to set up.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Default a little more info for you all

ok...maybe i should've been a little more clear about what the truck already has:
    1. all the fittings and adapters you could imagine
    2. 2 extra SCBAs
    3. PPV Fan
    4. Negative Pressure Fan
    5. Plenty of tarps
    6. of course all of the ladders/hose/pike poles
    7. short pike poles
    8. drywall hooks
    9. shovels
    10. sledge hammers
    11. bolt cutters
    12. 2,000 gallon collapsable dump tank
    13. axes
    14. everything required by NFPA & ISO
    15. portable pump
    16. Ventillation saw

we're not trying to just stuff it with useless stuff, we're just trying to get stuff that we haven't seen or newer versions of things that we already have, maybe some of the things you all have on your engines. We've went through all the ideas from the guys at the station and guys from neighboring depts, all that stuff is already added and we sifted through some of the ideas to see what we can or can't use...we might still have empty compartment space that i'm sure we'll fill over time...we just want some other ideas, things to look into to see if they'll work for us. This truck is used as our first out pumper on all fires. and by the way...if you'd like to take a look at the truck...it's on our website at www.danvillevfd.com

Thank you all!

Forum Member

Throw a couple more SCBAs on there and a bunch of spare cylinders, do you have any spare cylinder on there currently? Put a case our two of bottled water in, or a cooler if you have guys that can keep up on it and change the water. Put more cribbing and quik dry in. Some rolls of hose is good and some short sections of whatever you use for supply hose never know when you need the extra little bit.

What is the majority of runs you take in? Any special hazards in your area? Do you provide any medical services? Perhaps think of a little first aid kit or even a full jump bag.

Forum Member

Two things to follow and you'll be GOLDEN!

ISO and NFPA...

good luck!
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CooterRob View Post

ISO and NFPA...

good luck!
    You forgot the third thing to follow.......

The Yellow Brick Road!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CooterRob View Post

ISO and NFPA...

good luck!
    You can end up with a truck full of textbook equipment that isnt suited for local application.

For example, neither one will tell you that you should spec your suction hose to be as long as the hose trouch/apparatus body will allow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    You forgot the third thing to follow.......

The Yellow Brick Road!
    Don't forget TOTO! LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    You can end up with a truck full of textbook equipment that isnt suited for local application.

For example, neither one will tell you that you should spec your suction hose to be as long as the hose trouch/apparatus body will allow.
    I agree with you, but the NFPA 1901 has an appendix section with recommended equipment. Following NFPA and ISO will give you a good idea on what you should have.... not what is absolutely practical.

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry a smoke detector bag for installing smoke detectors in residences. Policy states that all residential incidents that we respond to, the crew will check the smoke detctors and install more if necessary. Includes:

Cheapo fabric tool bag like a carpenter would use
    Wal-Mart smoke detectors (4-5)
    Phillips and flat head screwdrivers
    Black and Decker battery power screwdriver (similar to this: http://blackanddecker.com/ProductGui...ProductID=5470)
    Spare 9v batteries
    Screws
    Anchors
    Can of compressed air for blowing out detectors
    Other miscellaneous items that might be needed

MembersZone Subscriber

You can never have enough extra fuel for fans and saws. Extension cords rolled into buckets are also real handy (assuming generator). Extra SCBA cylinders, and spare structure gloves, flash hoods, and maybe even a helmet (yeah, people would forget their head if it was'nt screwed on!!) Man I wish we had more room on our first run engine.....
    Mike S.
    ASSUME GOOD INTENT:
    This comment is intended to be taken at face value. Nothing in this comment should be interpreted as anything more than what is written. There’s no hidden meaning, and I’m not upset about anything.
    It’s not intended to upset anybody, “beat a political drum”, or “stir the pot”. There’s no need to try to read in between the lines.
    It’s just not that deep, so stop looking for something that isn’t there.

Thread Information