Forum Member

Default Fire Department Billing Rates

Hi Everyone,
    Looking to see if there is a standard set of billing rates that fire companies use to bill insurance companies for runs. I know ambulances have set guidelines that medicare and such will only pay. I was just wondering if there is such for fire departments?

My department currently only bill insurance companies, both home and auto, for our responses and would just like to see if maybe we are billing to much or even not enough. Any costs anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Such rates are: MVAs, MVA with extrication, residential structure fires, car fires, foam use on structure or vehicle fires, tool use, equipment use, etc.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Captain Jason Crambo
    Jefferson Township Fire Company
    Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
    www.29FireRescue.com

CFEI / CFII

Quote Originally Posted by jc29ems View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Looking to see if there is a standard set of billing rates that fire companies use to bill insurance companies for runs. I know ambulances have set guidelines that medicare and such will only pay. I was just wondering if there is such for fire departments?

My department currently only bill insurance companies, both home and auto, for our responses and would just like to see if maybe we are billing to much or even not enough. Any costs anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Such rates are: MVAs, MVA with extrication, residential structure fires, car fires, foam use on structure or vehicle fires, tool use, equipment use, etc.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Captain Jason Crambo
    Jefferson Township Fire Company
    Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
    www.29FireRescue.com
    I can't tell you the answer for MVAs. Most insurance policies have a clause that pays for fire department responses to fires. In my state its $500.00.
    I hope this helps!

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Forum Member

Default need info to start billing

We are looking to start into billing insurance companies for our runs. Any help, guidance, or direction would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for any information. I heard something about there are a couple of companies that will do all of the paperwork and submittal for ya and only take 10%. Has anyone heard of that?

CFEI / CFII

Default Third party billing works best!

Quote Originally Posted by fireinspect0924 View Post
    We are looking to start into billing insurance companies for our runs. Any help, guidance, or direction would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for any information. I heard something about there are a couple of companies that will do all of the paperwork and submittal for ya and only take 10%. Has anyone heard of that?
    We use third party billing for our EMS calls. We use to do our own in house billing. We were lucky if we collected 50% of our outstanding bills. I donít know the company we use. I will try to find out from our admin. Our collection rates increased to around 85 to 90 percent using third party billing. Thatís a lot of money for us because we run 15,000 EMS calls a year.

I read about a year ago about fire departments in Texas that were using third party billing for all calls including fire alarms, house fires, car fires, extrication, hazmat calls and so forth. This company bills the insurance company with an itemized invoice of equipment used and manpower expenses. Each piece of equipment was bill separately. The key they said was getting the person writing the report to document each item used. The company generates all the billing documents and does all the interaction with the insurance companies. All you have to do is write your reports and wait for the reimbursement checks to arrive.

The equipment list invoice to the insurance companies went like this:
    (They are charge for each individual section of hose used)
    8 50' sections of 1 3/4 inch fire hose
    9 100' sections of 5 inch fire hose
    2 Akron fire nozzles
    2 Class A fire engines
    1 Axe
    2 pike poles
    15 firefighters with a combined total of 60 man hours
    15 SCBA Packs
    1 incident command 4 man hours
    1 safety officer 4 man hours

I donít remember the name of the company. The article I read was an interview with a few rural district fire chiefs in Texas. They each recovered around 100K in one year through third party billing of insurance companies. The article was published on Firehouse.com. I wish I could remember more....sorry

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yep..............

Gentlemen, Please send me an email or PM, I'll reply with the info that you need. My Son is a Volunteer in a VFD that bills for service, And he also owns a Billing Business. (No, he doesn't do his own VFD's Bills, for ethical reasons.) His Billing expertise is mostly in the Medical fields, including VFD Ambulance operations.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Billing in Indiana

May want to check with your state laws, the billing rate's we use are set by State Fire Marshall, which is used for any MVA's or fire runs.

Thread Information