Default ISO info: admin leave for volunteer ff late for federal job?

Hi,
    I'm a volunteer firefighter and rescue squad member as well as a Federal employee. I've come in late to work as a result of my response to fire or rescue emergencies and my supervisor has made me take annual leave. My question is... is there some over-arching Federal policy that allows for Federal employees responding to emergencies to take administrative leave? In my searches online I found a few vague and seemingly old references: "
    10/ EXEC. ORDER NO.10,529, 19 FED.REG. 2,397(1954). THIS EXECUTIVE
    ORDER AUTHORIZES UP TO 40 HOURS OF ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE PER YEAR FOR PARTICIPATION IN RECOGNIZED CIVIL DEFENSE ACTIVITIES."

and
    FPM SUPPLEMENT 990-2, BOOK 630, SUBCHAPTER S11. SUBCHAPTER S11-5 see the text here: http://www.flra.gov/decisions/v07/07-053-3.html

Any help would be much appreciated as I am really committed to my fire department and rescue squad, but if I have to run myself out of annual leave to respond to emergencies, it seems to me that there's a problem in the system.
    V/r,
    John

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I'm also a federal employee, and have researched this a little bit. My command has a local instruction that states the supervisor MAY authorize up to 40 hrs a year admin leave for volunteer fire activities. The instruction does not require them to allow it. I've had some supervisors allow the leave and some who don't. Fortunately, my current positions allows for some flexibility as long as I don't abuse it and make all morning meetings that are scheduled.

I'm sure that several others will repeat what I'm about to tell you. Your job comes before the volunteer work. If you can work things out with your supervisor to occasionally be late due to emergency calls, consider that a bonus and don't abuse that privilege. If you can't work things out, donít' go on calls you don't reasonably think you will be back from in time, or be prepared to use leave.

Forum Member

Fortunately for me, my federal employment allows flexibility when coming and going. If there is something worth me being late to work for, I can just stay a few hours late to make up for it and no problem. Otherwise it is AL or CL as far as I know.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

You have your priorities backwards if you are more concerned about your volunteer activities versus your job that pays your bills and puts food on your table.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would not want to be the one that has to hold over on overtime because you are out doing a sidejob.

Forum Member

As Firefighters we should be willing to help out a fellow brother or sister whenever needed. If holding over is necessary because someone is out volunteering on a working fire or major incident, we should be more than happy to help. A few hours of overtime looks good on a pay check and it is nice knowing we helped a volunteer save the day.

I am not a volunteer, but I support all volunteers who want to protect there communities and give back. As long as the volunteer is not making it a regular habit, we should all be willing to hold over. Besides, it is normally the lowest seniority that gets forced.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    As Firefighters we should be willing to help out a fellow brother or sister whenever needed. If holding over is necessary because someone is out volunteering on a working fire or major incident, we should be more than happy to help. A few hours of overtime looks good on a pay check and it is nice knowing we helped a volunteer save the day.

I am not a volunteer, but I support all volunteers who want to protect there communities and give back. As long as the volunteer is not making it a regular habit, we should all be willing to hold over. Besides, it is normally the lowest seniority that gets forced.

Kev,

In some ways I agree with your reply. As a part timer, I hate placing someone at my regular job in that position by being late. I would guess my statement earlier would be based on the person making it a regular habit...

Default Thanks one and all for the input

I appreciate you all taking the time to write.
    A couple of points:
    1) My paying job is white collar - not emergency service at all, and nobody has to hold over to cover for me. I've come in late from responding to house fires, multi car pileups on the interstate and even wrecks at the entrance to work, and have used AL or CL. While I was at these nobody had to cover for me and I did not hold up production or miss any meetings. For the most part I make my own schedule and most of my job tasks are flexible as long as I get them done.
    2) As for my priorities being out of whack... Trust me I value my paying job and after GOD and my family it is top priority.
    3) I'm not trying to get one over on my employer or abuse the sytem. Allowing volunteer first responders to respond to emergencies to help support the local community, I understand is fairly common. I'm just trying to see what the rules are, since folks at work don't seem to know how to handle it. 4) It's not like it's a habit or anything. We don't catch that many runs. When we do though, we need everybody that can turn out to respond and it's tough to leave when you drove the apparatus. This is something I've had to take leave for less than 10 times in my short tenure. I guess since it happens so infrequently, I should just bite the bullet and take the AL or CL. I suppose as long as I don't abuse it they'd look really bad if they did any disciplinary action on me for helping out in an emergency.

Thanks again,
    Be Safe

Forum Member

Your government agency can handle your volunteer time several ways. Its really there call. if they allow you to go on A/L, great. They can also go the other way to, meaning LWOP or AWOL if they care to. As for your rights, if your late for work without prior approval, then feel lucky your being offered A/L. Come out to Ca here and you will see what those other options look like on your monthly take home.

Thread Information