Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: What can I do?

Default What can I do?

I am currently serving the last year of my 6-year tour active military. I have talked to a couple of recruiters with the Houston Fire Department and they informed me that all I can do is wait for the next civil test to come out. Now my question is does anyone know of any studying guides, websites or other studying materials that I can start using to prepare myself for when I take the test I can be one-step head of other recruits. I have purchase a couple of exam books from Barnes and Nobles, but I want to study more. Thank you for your help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tyates34 View Post
    I am currently serving the last year of my 6-year tour active military. I have talked to a couple of recruiters with the Houston Fire Department and they informed me that all I can do is wait for the next civil test to come out. Now my question is does anyone know of any studying guides, websites or other studying materials that I can start using to prepare myself for when I take the test I can be one-step head of other recruits. I have purchase a couple of exam books from Barnes and Nobles, but I want to study more. Thank you for your help.
    Most Fire exams will be heavily based on basic math and reading comprehension. If you're not good with math, i.e. long division and multiplication, problem solving, fractions, conversions, and ratios, then I would suggest getting a SAT prep book. There is a good one I believe called BEST SAT. You can get it used for cheap on Amazon.com.

Some tests will have mechanical ability questions and public relations/situational questions.

Default What can you do

You also need to ask yourself where am I willing to work. Do you only want to apply to a basic few departments? If so you are limiting your exposure and limiting your odds of getting hired. I have suggested this many times and would say it still holds true, you need to test everywhere you are physically able to, not only because it gives you better odds but it also makes you better at taking tests, and lets be honest half of the battle is just mastering how to take the tests. The more you take the lower your stress level is and the better you do, almost guaranteed. Then once you start taking a number of tests you start to see patterns in the types of questions you do well on and the ones you do poorly on. You can then come up with a better strategy for what to study. Then once you master that its on to the every famous interview and oral board which is a whole other post and should be a forum drop me a line if you have any questions,
    Last edited by coachleather; 01-27-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Thread Information