Forum Member

Default Department looking for used aerial platform

Greetings:

The Lynnfield, MA Fire Department has suffered a permanent failure in our 1971 Mack/Baker Aerialscope. The Town Government is not willing to purchase a new replacement apparatus at this time. The Town has directed me to seek to purchase a used aerial platform. I am aware of the NFPA requirements should a used platform need refurbishing and the costs associated with that requirement. I am also aware that Seagrave will remanufacture and remount our present Aerialscope on a new Seagrave chassis for an amount somewhat over $700,000. I am seeking information on an appropriate used apparatus that should not be over ten years in age and should have low mileage/hours and should be in excellent condition. If any forum users see or hear of any such apparatus, I would be most grateful to hear of it.

Thanks in advance.
    Paul N. Romano
    Chief of Department
    Lynnfield, MA FD
    (chiefsquared)

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief,

I just sent you an email to your town email address.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brindlee Mt (great folks) has a '95 100ft platform listed. They buy/sell a pretty large # of aerials and will have some good ideas on where/when such will be coming available. Particularily with E-Ones.

http://www.bmfallc.com

Forum Member

Default 2000 Gen/Safety-100':

Chief, Romano;

Here is one on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...=p4506.c0.m245
    Last edited by 1OLDTIMER; 10-08-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Forum Member

Smile

Chief Try Fireline Equipment .com or click this link.

http://www.firelineequipment.com/

The listing on this site are Fire Departments wanting to sell there apparatus. Fire Line is only the host. I do not work for them I only support them and the services they provide.

Regards

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1OLDTIMER View Post
    Chief, Romano;

Here is one on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...=p4506.c0.m245
    Thats an AI aerial tower and in case you aren't aware, buy ANYTHING before you buy an old AI.

Just a word to the wise from one old geezer to anyone who wants to do their homework.

Forum Member

Heres a link to a 1990 Spartan/LTI

Forum Member

Thumbs up Brindlee Mountain

As mentioned, check-out Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus. I assisted a neighboring dept purchase a used platform a couple of years ago. They are a top notch apparatus re-seller. When they take in a piece of apparatus, it gets a thorough check-over and anything in question is repaired or replaced, even items I found or recommended be replaced to suit the dept was looked after.

Forum Member

Default Brindlee

I agree with the Brindlee recomendation. James Wessel and his team are good people! I inspected a truck for Oxford Maine about 7 months ago at Brindlee. The town bought a 1990 E-1 Tower and I went along to inspect the truck. Brindlee took care of our punch list items and give a good major component warranty. John

MembersZone Subscriber

Our neighboring department is selling a 1990 Grumman 102' Aerialcat ladder. I know it's not a platform, but man is it in nice shape. They've taken very good care of it and it's got low miles, low hours. www.WestLakeFireDepartment.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JREGANGFA View Post
    I agree with the Brindlee recomendation. James Wessel and his team are good people! I inspected a truck for Oxford Maine about 7 months ago at Brindlee. The town bought a 1990 E-1 Tower and I went along to inspect the truck. Brindlee took care of our punch list items and give a good major component warranty. John
    The key here is brig your own inspector and have an acceptance test, treat this like a new piece of apparatus, with the obvious differences contemplated.

Forum Member

Cool Replacement app:

Quote Originally Posted by deputyhunter View Post
    Thats an AI aerial tower and in case you aren't aware, buy ANYTHING before you buy an old AI.

Just a word to the wise from one old geezer to anyone who wants to do their homework.
    Aerial tower, aerial platform? I was only attempting to help him find a replacement for his 1971 Mack/Baker Aerialscope. I believe a tower is closer to a scope than a aerial platform device, and...I didn't think a mfgr. was specified.
    I am seeking information on an appropriate used apparatus that should not be over ten years in age and should have low mileage/hours and should be in excellent condition.
    I don't favor AI either, however it "looked" (from the pics) like something he might be able to make a deal on...if "the price is right." But nevermind...it was sold late yesterday anyway...so all this is a moot point.

What's with the "high school homework" crap? I haven't done homework in over 52 years...and it's too late to start now...ya ole geezer.
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Forum Member

The key here is brig your own inspector and have an acceptance test, treat this like a new piece of apparatus, with the obvious differences contemplated.
    The unit I was involved with received an NDT inspection before the sale which stated any defects found which were then repaired before the sale. I tell you, I was impressed with the whole sale from before and even after the unit was delivered. Just like a new sale.

Forum Member

Default Thank you

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I am aware of Brindlee Mountain and know them to be a good outfit. We are trying to keep our "prospect" range in apparatus no older than 10 years and in condition that does not require major upgrades as I am afraid of invoking the NFPA standard on refurbing.

We do have a lead on a newer apparatus that we are going to look at next week-I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your help.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Again, my thanks to all those that offered tips and advice. I am pleased to report that the Lynnfield Fire Department is the proud new owner of a 2007 Seagrave Tower Max 100' aerial platform. A Town Meeting last week voted overwhelmingly to fund the purchase of the truck. The truck arrived yesterday and will be put into service after training is completed. I will post images and more detailed specifications later but I'll try one image for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information