Thread: Arrow

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Arrow

Well we have decided to go with a pierce arrow cab for a rescue pumper design. I mostly like the traditional look with options the newer cabs have to offer. Saw a Portland OR arrow today at dealer and it is a nice engine that seems well designed and a lot of thought on every detail. Really looked at KME and it you could park the two next to each other and compare, there is a black and white difference. I understand the arrow will be more but well worth it. Still struggling with a CAFS? We do commerical, rural, city and residential and a designated rescue pumper. So we are going to carefully design the engine to our needs which is a lot of work. Any thoughts on scene lighting? Our pumper/tender has a PTO generator with command light and a electric cord reel, never used cord reel on a call, command light kicks #&^, however for that money you could spec a crap load of scene lighting all the way around. Will most likely put new gensis rescue tool system with hose reel(s). Definelty have a front trash line, what do you like on a engine? Any ideas and justification please, we want this engine to be used for 15-20 years.

Forum Member

Buy a Seagrave... :-)

(I'm about to rile up the appleton kool-aid people)
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

If you are seeing alot of fire and can afford it go with the CAFS system. Its not cheap but I think the cost is worth it, again if you see alot of fire. If you are chasing smells and bells it might not be. I would definitely at the very least go with a foam system.

If you decide to go with a command light you might want to consider tucking it in between the air conditioners on the roof. There are several that fit very nicely up there and it is becoming a popular option.

I am curious. If you have never used the cord reels before how do you light up the building interiors at night?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool cord reel

flashlights for light and then fire investigator has generator and tripod lights for extended investigations. Also they style we are looking at is where the water tank in standing up to get a low hose bed and there is almost a 2nd crows nest ontop of tank, thinking about command light there and brow lights to cover front? Saw a interesting design with a hose reel in crows nest with booster hose going under hose bed and hanging at rear of engine. Kinda of different.

Forum Member

A serious reply...

We spec'd a few things that were NOT the most popular vote.

- Larger Generator- the prepare for it to become a rescue/engine
    - Cord Reel- In accordance with the above
    - Large rear compartment- Soo we can house our extrication equipment
    - Front trash line- We wanted the option for the jet siphon and for a trashline

What are your demographics in detail... are you mroe rural than city? More city than rural... or more a of suburban dept, with some rural. It makes all the difference in wheelbase, tank size, discharges and of course vehicle scene and emergency lighting.

Unfortunately I was unable to convince my fellow commitee members to add an on board foam tank, but then again we also didn't have a large budget for this piece of apparatus.
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

I'm a little confused on your selection process. By the sound of it, you have chosen the builder and the chassis but haven't even developed the specs or determined your needs? Huh?

Forum Member

Default Just specd a rescue engine ourselves

We already have a rescue engine by pierce and are about to order a twin. Some of the things we did, first off we run a top mount pump pannel, we used their regular rescue engine body with 24" depth compartments all the way around. One of the things we did to maximize compartment space is the breaker pannel that they usually locate in the compartment we got them to build a special pannel on the driver side of the pump pannel in some dead space that you end up with on a top mount pump. We specd double bottle wells by the rear wheels for spare air bottles so we didnt have to use compartment space for that. We have electric reels mounted high in the two rear most compartments on the driver and officer side with pre connected junction boxes. the back compartment inside the rear step we have a slide out tray and hydraulic reel for extrication equipment. on the driver side rear compartment we have 3 slide out tool boards. All the other compartments are standard compartments set up for the different tools and equip we carry and they all have slide out drawers. We have 750 gallons of water. For lighting we have the 2 extending quartz lights on the pump pannel, and on the back we have 2 removable tripod lights which we can leave on the truck or connect to the reel and set up at any scene or in a house. Any specific questions on anything that we did or your thinking about doing be happy to ask like i said we already have one of these trucks in service since 2001 and are so happy with it were goin for a twin basicly. The chassis we use is the quantum with a 22" raise roof so its by no means a small truck over all height is 11'2 and overall length is around 35-36'

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're on a tight budget... don't go Pierce.

There are a few threads on here about of 2007 KME Rescue-Engine here in Westampton NJ. All of which have a lot of questions and answers. You can also visit our website at http://www.westamptonfire.org as we have a "tour" of the rig and you can see how we laid it out.

As far as your questions...

Front bumper line - we use it all the time. 150' of 1 3/4" hose - we use this more then our crosslays.

Light Tower - we ditched the expense of this in favor of numerous surface mounted lights. We are very satisfied with our choice in both light output, cost savings, and maintance savings.

Generator - We went with a 15kw Onan Hydraulic. LOVE IT! We also switch everything from the cab and had the breaker box high up behind the roll up doors. It's amazing being able to pull up and have 6000watts of scene lights and live hydraulic pumps before you even get out of the rig.

Cord Reel - I see your points on lighting, however what about SawZalls of other electric tools. (We have 110v Band Saw, Grinder, SawZalls, Circular Saw... so on and so on) PLUS - How would you power lighting to the other side of the vehicle... or if your running as the truck company of a structure fire... just thoughts and scenarios we run into frequently.

Rear Compartment - We moved the tools to the side and use the rear compartment for extensive amounts of cribbing. Allows us to still park in a blocking position behind the scene and keep people from frequently working at the rear of the rig in the "Crush Zone".

Foam System - We have one on our Engine. Rarely use it. So we ditched it in favor of a Pro-Pak which we use more and more. Our region isn't big on foam except for petrochemical incidents.

Anymore questions I can help with, please feel free to shoot them my way!
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    If you're on a tight budget... don't go Pierce.

There are a few threads on here about of 2007 KME Rescue-Engine here in Westampton NJ. All of which have a lot of questions and answers. You can also visit our website at http://www.westamptonfire.org as we have a "tour" of the rig and you can see how we laid it out.

As far as your questions...

Front bumper line - we use it all the time. 150' of 1 3/4" hose - we use this more then our crosslays.

Light Tower - we ditched the expense of this in favor of numerous surface mounted lights. We are very satisfied with our choice in both light output, cost savings, and maintance savings.

Generator - We went with a 15kw Onan Hydraulic. LOVE IT! We also switch everything from the cab and had the breaker box high up behind the roll up doors. It's amazing being able to pull up and have 6000watts of scene lights and live hydraulic pumps before you even get out of the rig.

Cord Reel - I see your points on lighting, however what about SawZalls of other electric tools. (We have 110v Band Saw, Grinder, SawZalls, Circular Saw... so on and so on) PLUS - How would you power lighting to the other side of the vehicle... or if your running as the truck company of a structure fire... just thoughts and scenarios we run into frequently.

Rear Compartment - We moved the tools to the side and use the rear compartment for extensive amounts of cribbing. Allows us to still park in a blocking position behind the scene and keep people from frequently working at the rear of the rig in the "Crush Zone".

Foam System - We have one on our Engine. Rarely use it. So we ditched it in favor of a Pro-Pak which we use more and more. Our region isn't big on foam except for petrochemical incidents.

Anymore questions I can help with, please feel free to shoot them my way!

or instead of pro pack you could also spec a foam pro system to you truck we had one installed on ours and it just runs to our 2 crosslays whenever we need it, it turn out to be about a 3,000.00 option better than a 20,000 for a complete system. We do have Pro packs on two of our other engines they seem to work fine if you dont use foam alot, just throwing another suggestion.

Thread Information