MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Marshal Resume/CV help

Hello all! I am new here, and will lurk mostly, I think. I have recently departed the municipality I've worked for the past (and fast) 20 years, and look forward to the private sector opportunities and challenges. I am happy with my resume, but now I am putting together my CV and I don't know what to include besides the dates and classes. Also, I need to list, (right?) the fires/explosions I've investigated, but I'm not sure exactly how much detail besides the date, address...type if incident...determination...?? You see? I have never seen another CV. I saw some forums dealing with the resume, but I cant seem to find CV correspondence. Any help, or, direction to help would be much appreciated.

CFEI / CFII

Default Cv

CV is a modified resume. Remove anything that is not related to fire investigation. Where are you located?

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Cv

Quote Originally Posted by cubbie View Post
    CV is a modified resume. Remove anything that is not related to fire investigation. Where are you located?
    Thing is, I have sent out resume's, without all the curriculum data, stating that certificates, classes, seminars and references could be had at request. So, now I have to put together a CV after the fact. I am still gathering data from many years of service. I'm just not sure how it should look. Are you saying that a CV IS a resume...without all the other Fire Marshal items? I was of the belief it was a list of educational specific items listed separately? Thanks for responding. I am in CT.

CFEI / CFII

Quote Originally Posted by CTFM93 View Post
    Thing is, I have sent out resume's, without all the curriculum data, stating that certificates, classes, seminars and references could be had at request. So, now I have to put together a CV after the fact. I am still gathering data from many years of service. I'm just not sure how it should look. Are you saying that a CV IS a resume...without all the other Fire Marshal items? I was of the belief it was a list of educational specific items listed separately? Thanks for responding. I am in CT.
    Send me your e-mail address and I will forward you my CV. After I wrote it I sent it to a friend that is CEO of one of the largest insurance companies for review. He tweeked it for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hate to keep harping on you, but this is terrible advice.

A resume is used to apply for a job.

A Curriculum Vitae is a detailed recitation of ALL of your education, experience and training. In the private sector, the CV will have many uses. It will be used as a marketing tool. It will be forwarded to attorneys. It will be used in litigation.

Every single day of your work; every single class you ever took, every single seminar you ever attended should be on that CV. The O&C job in the private sector is very diverse. Who knows if that seminar you had to take on domestic violence, or that class you took on auto repair, or the side job you had as an oil burner mechanic will be the one thing that gets you the job or gets you through the Daubert hearing.

The worst thing that can happen is to have multiple versions of your CV out there. Of course you can update it as things change. But to send them out with some things removed and others added is asking for trouble.

One copy of a CV. Update as necessary. BTW, my resume is one page long. My CV is 13 pages long.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

CFEI / CFII

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I hate to keep harping on you, but this is terrible advice.

A resume is used to apply for a job.

A Curriculum Vitae is a detailed recitation of ALL of your education, experience and training. In the private sector, the CV will have many uses. It will be used as a marketing tool. It will be forwarded to attorneys. It will be used in litigation.

Every single day of your work; every single class you ever took, every single seminar you ever attended should be on that CV. The O&C job in the private sector is very diverse. Who knows if that seminar you had to take on domestic violence, or that class you took on auto repair, or the side job you had as an oil burner mechanic will be the one thing that gets you the job or gets you through the Daubert hearing.

The worst thing that can happen is to have multiple versions of your CV out there. Of course you can update it as things change. But to send them out with some things removed and others added is asking for trouble.

One copy of a CV. Update as necessary. BTW, my resume is one page long. My CV is 13 pages long.
    George you are correct....It was fun to throw the bait in the water. An wait for you to take it and run.....Sorry.....LOL

My resume is 2 pages and my CV is 14 pages.
    I did email him my CV so he could see what a good one looks like.
    Last edited by cubbie; 10-10-2008 at 10:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

George you are correct....It was fun to throw the bait in the water. An wait for you to take it and run.....Sorry.....LOL

My resume is 2 pages and my CV is 14 pages.
    I did email him my CV so he could see what a good one looks like.
    So, your tactics are to say something completely wrong to see if I respond? That is pretty stupid, don't you think? Why don't you try actually giving good advice?

CFEI / CFII

So, your tactics are to say something completely wrong to see if I respond? That is pretty stupid, don't you think? Why don't you try actually giving good advice?
    George you throw rocks at everyone on every forum page. I decided it was time one bounced back.
    Now smile....laugh a little.....and move on.

It takes time for anyone to become as great as you are.

MembersZone Subscriber

George you throw rocks at everyone on every forum page. I decided it was time one bounced back.
    Now smile....laugh a little.....and move on.

It takes time for anyone to become as great as you are.
    I do not and have never purposely baited someone into a fight by posting BS information into a legitimate question. They call that a TROLL. I laugh as much as anyone-when it is funny. What you did is unprofessional and downright stupid. Your credibility is shot. Time for you to go away, troll.

CFEI / CFII

I do not and have never purposely baited someone into a fight by posting BS information into a legitimate question. They call that a TROLL. I laugh as much as anyone-when it is funny. What you did is unprofessional and downright stupid. Your credibility is shot. Time for you to go away, troll.

I apologize George.

Thread Information