Forum Member

Default Fire Dept's in CA that are hiring...

Does anyone have any info on depts that are hiring in California?

I am currently chugging away to get hired with a dept. I have done the explorer thing, taken all of my fire tach courses, countless hours of community volunteerism, worked as an EMT for an ambulance company to name a few. I have been in backgrounds for LA city fire twice and both times have been rejected. Its now time for me to take my CPAT & then schedule an interview again....the process sometimes seems hopeless, but I am determined to one day obtain the prestigious position.

~In The Process

Forum Member

L.A. County is open filing as well.
    OCFA is doing a 4 cycle testing process. The first 2 are already done, so keep an eye out for the 3rd one to come around.
    Long Beach should be opening up in a few months

I get my info from 911hotjobs and governmentjobs.com. Both are free.

What was in your backgrounds that got you out of the process, if you don't mind me asking?

MembersZone Subscriber

You JUST missed Huntington Beach. I got an email the other day. I think they had it open for 48 hours.

I really wanted to work in CA, but I'm pretty much giving up on that. I live in Milwaukee. So it's getting quite expensive with all of the flights. I flew out there a couple times before getting dropped in the Initial Panel with LAFD. Then I tested over the summer with OCFA. There's so many that want to be firefighters out there. I want to try to apply with LA County, but I'll see what I can end up affording. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    You JUST missed Huntington Beach. I got an email the other day. I think they had it open for 48 hours.

I really wanted to work in CA, but I'm pretty much giving up on that. I live in Milwaukee. So it's getting quite expensive with all of the flights. I flew out there a couple times before getting dropped in the Initial Panel with LAFD. Then I tested over the summer with OCFA. There's so many that want to be firefighters out there. I want to try to apply with LA County, but I'll see what I can end up affording. Good luck.
    I thought Huntington Beach filing period is October 20th-22nd. It should be on there website or governmentjobs.com.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by intheprocess View Post
    Does anyone have any info on depts that are hiring in California?

I am currently chugging away to get hired with a dept. I have done the explorer thing, taken all of my fire tach courses, countless hours of community volunteerism, worked as an EMT for an ambulance company to name a few. I have been in backgrounds for LA city fire twice and both times have been rejected. Its now time for me to take my CPAT & then schedule an interview again....the process sometimes seems hopeless, but I am determined to one day obtain the prestigious position.

~In The Process
    Look up firehire.com. From what I understand you take 1 written test that covers many Northern CA departments. I think you have to pay for the service and they give you some sort of study guide. Also, I think the CPAT and EMT are required.

Forum Member

Google "Counties in California"

Find a picture of them all.. Google every county name.. go to county website.. look for open FF positions.

Will work.

Permanently Removed

Best source- www.firerecruit.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    I thought Huntington Beach filing period is October 20th-22nd. It should be on there website or governmentjobs.com.
    Sorry, you're right. Didn't see that. I'm not eligible anyway. My certs aren't for CA.

Permanently Removed

clark918- To be very honest, if your certs and background are not California based, your going to have a near impossible time relocating to California.

We have thousands of well qualified candidates here with CSFM FF1, EMT, etc. If youre a NR Paramedic or career Federal Firefighter that can transfer in, you might have a decent shot.

Please PM me or the other Cali locals here with your questions.

Thread Information