MembersZone Subscriber

Default trench rescue trailer

i am hoping to get diagrams or different ideas on layouts of trench trailers. Hoping to get different ideas and put them together to make most of trailer. Looking into getting an 18'-24'. Any ideas on length would be appreciated also (+'s & -'s). If possible, my email is wacres763@yahoo.com
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

I will see if I can get pictures of our trailer for you, the guys we got it from over 10 years ago still use it as their example. It works for us, a little overloaded, but a decent set up.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

A standard tow behind trailer gets heavy (overweight) fast. For about the same cost as a trailer and a tow vehicle you can purchase a box truck that is strong enough to carry the stuff and you would have no tow vehicle to worry about.
    Below is an example of a rig that would carry plenty of wood plus the other accessories you need and used for about $25,000
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Default Trench trailer

We went with a 24' trailer about 15 years ago. Any shorter would be problematic for what we carry. Has 4x8 panels pre-rigged with 2x12 uprights and rope handles stored on edge in the middle area, pipe jacks, hand tools, buckets, saw horses, chop saw, etc. up front. Weighs about 8K, so you need a decent sized truck to tow it. If you go the trailer route, be very cautious of overloading it, and remember if it weighs more than 10K, you need a Class A CDL. And just as importantly, get a tongue weight scale to get the balance right, or you will have a crash.

Trailers are very low maintenance, but not as fast in service as a truck. We carry 4 panels, Airshores, and some plywood for ground pads in our rescue truck. The trailer backs it up with additional stuff. We share the trailer and its equipment with a neighboring department to help reduce costs. Below is a link to pics.

http://www.mtlfd.org/index.php?page=our-fleet
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Specs

I sent the following pictures to you in an email with design specs. These specs are based on a 24' trailer with tandem axles. The configuration allows for the weight to be carried over the tires and to the sides. The plywood is positioned against the outside wall with the dimention lumber towards the middle. This allows you to carry everything from 2x4's to 6x6's as well as 10'x12" planks. We also pre-cut 3/4" plywood for edge protection.

I hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you all for your help, its appreciated

MembersZone Subscriber

Attached are a few pics from an area Trench trailer.

Forum Member

TM, just curious, did you guys weigh that trailer?? Not that it really matters but I was curious what you pull it with also.

I like all the wood, it never hurts having more wood. In fact, you can never have enough of it!! I probably would have had another axle thrown under there (tri) and added even more wood....lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out Anne Arundel Co. Md. Station 23 "Jones Station" is the county spec. ops house. They have a nice GMC collapse unit that the members built.
    http://www.jonesstationco23.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Scooby,
    I don't know any details about the weight or axle specs other than it was custom built for them. I obtained the pics from an instructor friend. IMO the triple axle would be an over kill based on the amount of lumber shown. It is always nicer to have equipment in an enclosed space though.

Thread Information