Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hasty Harness

Forum Member

Default Hasty Harness

Does anyone have any luck using the Hasty harness on removing down firefighters? We use them when pulling unconcious victims from fires with great results- especially the ones not wearing clothes or that have clothes thathave burned off...just poking around

Forum Member

Is that the one from North American Rescue? Looks like an outstanding tool.
    Being a fireman here in Rescue isn't what you do, it's what you are.
    -Capt. Phil Ruvolo, FDNY Rescue 2

Forum Member

It will work, but odds are that you will wrapping the upper body only due to bulk of the gear and SCBA.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Yes, we have tied the "Hasty" harness many times on down FF's. And there is nothing hasty about it. It works well, but definitely needs to be a practiced skill.

We tend to clip our Gemtor harnesses to the ff's SCBA more often than not.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default coolest website

http://www.animatedknots.com/harness...matedknots.com

Reference to hasty harness reminded me of this link, check it out, great for newbies to learn their knots..........

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hasty Harness

One of the guys above had it right. Theres nothing hasty about a hasty harness. I cant even begin to imagine trying to attach it to a victim in low light and high heat. I got into it because we have some low angle stuff in our territory and fing it GREAT for that application. In my opinion a short section of rope (3-5 ft.) carried in a pocket works great.

1.) tie rope into a Rescue knot/Handcuff/Lovers knot (should be practiced until able to do it blind)
    2.) after putting victims forearms though and sinched down, secure tightness with a double overhand or granny.
    3.) Straddle victim and insert your head between their arms.

You can now drag the victim using mostly leg muscle while staying low (most important) to avoid heat and increase visibility.

It also works well for Firefighters, though there are alot more options with Firefighters.

My 2 cents.

-Flip Fierro

Forum Member

If I'm down please don't waste time putting me in a harness. Unclip SCBA, put it through my legs, reclip and drag. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Forum Member

Do the majority of you have the DRD in your turnouts?
    Blandford Fire Department
    93 Main Street
    Blandford, Ma 01008

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlandfordFire View Post
    Do the majority of you have the DRD in your turnouts?
    Negative where we are.

JMac73 - never used a Hasty Harness to drag someone, only when lifting and/or lowering.

BlandfordFire - DRD's are not common around here either. And the few that do have them, with a bottle and helmet in place...they aren't real "user" friendly.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I thought that having a DRD was required as per NFPA in all new gear? Could be wrong. I have it and it is a great tool to have in your coat. Waste not time with tying knots or unbuckling and buckling SCBA, just grab and go. If you got a gemtor then clip in and drag. It does not restrict your arms when not engaged. Ours has a flap with velcro that keeps it in place. No snags or entanglement.
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig77 View Post
    I thought that having a DRD was required as per NFPA in all new gear? Could be wrong. I have it and it is a great tool to have in your coat. Waste not time with tying knots or unbuckling and buckling SCBA, just grab and go. If you got a gemtor then clip in and drag. It does not restrict your arms when not engaged. Ours has a flap with velcro that keeps it in place. No snags or entanglement.
    The DRD was the biggest waste of money ever developed. It was forced on use by the manufacturers. If you think that you will be able to get to the DRD in a heat and low viz environment on a firefighter's back that has an SCBA, you are sorely mistaken. Try to use it when you can see it. You can't get to it if the SCBA is in place most of the time. The DRD is too low and is covered by the pack.

A hasty harness that is practiced and proficient will work. A set of handcuff knots will work. A Sling-Link is a rated strap that will work all the time.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    The DRD was the biggest waste of money ever developed. It was forced on use by the manufacturers. If you think that you will be able to get to the DRD in a heat and low viz environment on a firefighter's back that has an SCBA, you are sorely mistaken. Try to use it when you can see it. You can't get to it if the SCBA is in place most of the time. The DRD is too low and is covered by the pack.

A hasty harness that is practiced and proficient will work. A set of handcuff knots will work. A Sling-Link is a rated strap that will work all the time.
    Really? We have had much success in our training with it. Have used in our burn building with smoke and heat. We use the Globe g-extreme product line. Maybe the brand of gear you were using mounts their a little lower then others.

As was stated it's all about training, Training , Training
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Forum Member

I heard about a DRD that was accidentally deployed in training doin a low profile type manuver and the dude was so stuck that someone ELSE had to cut it so he could get out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    I heard about a DRD that was accidentally deployed in training doin a low profile type manuver and the dude was so stuck that someone ELSE had to cut it so he could get out.
    I believe that was a first generation DRD. The way that they stow has been changed in the newer gear to hopefully prevent this.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information