Forum Member

Default How To Find IFSAC/Pro Board Schools

Well Im the new First Sergeant/Fire Chief at my Army Reserve unit and im trying to get the ball rolling on getting my guys certs that they need. I would just send them to Goodfellow but thatís not going to happen due to seating problems, quantity of people that need certs, and what ever else.

So, im by passing that and going to try to start sending them any place I can find to get them certs.

On that note I ask of you firefighters on here what schools across the lower 48 dose the IFSAC or Pro Board certs.

HELP!!!

Iím just trying to get a list going. Getting this many guys, this many certs is a huge research project that I have to turn into higher for funding; complete with ARís, FMís, DoD regs, OASH regs, NPFAís and what ever else. But to get funding I have to ďJustifyĒ why these guys need certs. In other words I have to dumb it down so non firefighters can understand whatís going on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Proboard classes

Green Valley Fire District in Arizona is offering all of the Officer, Instructor, and Inspector classes in conjunction with TEEX between now and February. If you would like more infor contact me or check out our course catalog on dodfire.com
    Scott Van Boerum
    Battalion Chief - Training
    Green Valley Fire District
    Green Valley, AZ

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

TRY HERE>>>>>

http://www.dodfire.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

Shortimer52...

You can always try Texas A&M (TEEKS), Bucks County, Alabama Fire College and MFRI (Maryland Fire Rescue Institute). One word of caution though; I know the Air Force has any outside courses being sought after to be approved at the MAJCOM level prior to either sending anyone or having the agency come to the base to teach. The reason is that since the DoD is paying for certifications and has a program in place, paying to send out personnel or have an agency come in is maybe not so cost effective.

I'm not sure how the Army does things, but I would think that they need to follow the DoD guidelines just like the Air Force does. Another matter to watch is that after you get the approval from the MAJCOM, you cannot simply go out and hire an accredited agency like Bucks or MFRI without going through the base contracting for coordination. Think of it like sending out for bids on a construction project. The lowest bis wins, however in the case of receiving training, the cheapest may not always be the wisest choice hence you have some grounds to justify the need to go with a particular agency.

Forum Member

Default schools

If you have as many guys that need certs as you say then your best bet might be to bring the trainnig in to you. If you are a military base then you might want to conisder ft.mammoth ( I have no idea how to spell it) They will send instructors to you and other then TDY costs for them there isnt' much of a charge. other places that will send instructors to you are TEEX which has a good reputation but my old base used them twice and I wasn't impressed with the guy who came to teach the classes. Indiana fire instructors assn will provide instructors. The one class i took through them was a really well run course but i think they charge per student.

I have contact information for most of the stuff above. If you are interested send me a e-mail and i'll get you the contact information. Hope that helps

Mike
    Motivation is something that you bring to work in your lunch box. - Skip Kirkwood, Wake county NC EMS director

MembersZone Subscriber

I have attended Bucks County classes in PA several times for IFSAC courses and had no problems getting DoD to recognize them. They will send instructors to you. You simply need to supply the course materials (i.e. for HazMat Tech, you need all the simulators and kits etc.).

I would strongly recommend!

Forum Member

Take the CDC's if your in the reserves/contract firefighter except WSI folks or a federal fire service GS-0081.

CFEI / CFII

Default Georgia State Fire Academy

Quote Originally Posted by shortimer52 View Post
    Well Im the new First Sergeant/Fire Chief at my Army Reserve unit and im trying to get the ball rolling on getting my guys certs that they need. I would just send them to Goodfellow but thatís not going to happen due to seating problems, quantity of people that need certs, and what ever else.

So, im by passing that and going to try to start sending them any place I can find to get them certs.

On that note I ask of you firefighters on here what schools across the lower 48 dose the IFSAC or Pro Board certs.

HELP!!!

Iím just trying to get a list going. Getting this many guys, this many certs is a huge research project that I have to turn into higher for funding; complete with ARís, FMís, DoD regs, OASH regs, NPFAís and what ever else. But to get funding I have to ďJustifyĒ why these guys need certs. In other words I have to dumb it down so non firefighters can understand whatís going on.
    Georgia State Fire Academy
    Most classes are ProBoard Certifying Courses.
    Some of which are:
    Firefigher 1 & 2
    Hazmat Awareness, Operations and Technician
    Inspector
    Fire investigator
    Instructor 1, 2 & 3
    Airport Firefighter (ARFF)
    NPQS/ProBoard Evaluator

It maybe more cost efficient to send a few key people to get certificate as instructors in each of the courses your department needs. They can teach in house then take the ProBoard certification test and practicals at the reserve center or other approved site.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Forum Member

this link is from proboard and it has links to every state that has any probaord program and other places that offer classes

http://www.theproboard.org/agencies.htm

Forum Member

HELP!!!

Alabama Fire College has a DOD/Industrial program. They will send you the instructors to teach as many students as the instructor sets for student/teacher ratio. They have more DOD/IFSAC/Pro Board classes then most of the other states. I think they offer all of DOD classes. Their web site has a list.
    Last I heard they were charging $50 a course hour plus instructor expenses.
    So if you want a 40 hour Fire officer I, II, or III course it is $2000.00 + for approx 24 maybe more, students. You supply the books and reading materials so that cost has to be factored in. If youíre looking to certify as many students as possible it may be worth a call to Alabama.

Forum Member

I took my ARFF course at South Carolina Fire Academy in 2001. They had a great facility, were reasonably priced, and tuition included a room and beakfast/lunch. Good course and it was only 6 days vs the 17 day Goodfellow block. I couldn't get a seat at Goodfellow, and it was actually cheaper for the unit for me to go to SCFA-11 less days pay/per diem. About half the class were ANG or DoD firefighters, IFSAC cert recognized no problem (at that time).

I challenged the FF I/II at Bucks County, also a good experience, and no problem with certs.

My Marine Reserve ARFF det never was able to do CDCs, even though we were on an ANG/AFR base. Noone would take responsibility to act as our testing facility.

I know MCAS' Miramar and Yuma use TX A&M, but it takes a while to certify the instructors and then they charge $250 per cert/per FF for having your own people teach you on site.

Forum Member

Ok great ideas guys and lots of helpful info. Iím going to have to print this thread off.

Deal with the CDCís I can get them for the unit, and I have a NCO working on a CDC program for the unit right now. But Pvt. Joe Snuffy has a year to get one done. Not only that but we donít have the props to do some of the CDCís with, so doing CDCís is a great idea but we just cant do the Haz Mat stuff, driver stuff(EVOC), any anything else you need props for. No base around to help out either. Also we all know how the reserves are, you give them a year to get it done in and not a person will get it done.

My main concern right now is driver certs. I have two NOCís out of 55 soldiers that have their pumper cert. No one has an ARFF driver cert. Thatís what im pushing right now. Itís a one step at a time kind of thing. I know the NCOís and drivers need the driver certs right away.

I was told that money is not the problem, but soldierís time is. I canít have the entire unit come down for a 40 hour class and have it count for a drill weekend or A/T. What I can do is put them on orders but it wonít count as A/T.

I have a NOC calling around about having an instructor come down and start giving classes. I have a feeling thatís the best idea right now for the amount of people we have. I just need to get the guys up to speed, and then ill worry about the small stuff.

I really wish A&M would start taking the G.I.Bill or T.A. for this stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

shortimer52....

If you do not have the props or equipment to perform the CDC practicals, have you run this concern up the chain? If you go to your senior leadership and argue the fact that these firefighters are require to be certified to a particular level and meet the DoD and NFPA requirements but are unable to do so due to the lack of equipment, they may budge a bit and throw some funding your way. The best argument is that if they (firefighters) are not certified, they cannot perform their duties thus impacting the mission capabilities.

One example was at Moron AB, Spain. The firefighters there were not Rescue Technician I certified. There was at the time a requirement to have x amount of firefighters certified to the Rescue Technician I level in order to sustain flying missions. Well since there were no certified firefighters, the Wing Commander shut the runway down and ordered the Fire Chief to host a Rescue Technician I course immediately. My team was diverted from Turkey to go to Spain and teach the 3 week long course. After the 20 students graduated, the runway was reopened and flying missions resumed. During that time though, all air traffic had to be rerouted to other bases in Spain; i.e. Rota.

As you can see, not having certain certifications can greatly impact the mission of whatever organization you fall under. Pull out the regulations, specifically the DoD regulation stating what each base is required to have on hand in terms of certified firefighters as well as what level of certification those firefighters must have to not only be employed but sustain the mission.

Regarding the soldiers time to obtain the training, I would push the issue that they need to complete the training immediately. Having only one or two certified drivers available at any given time is asking for trouble. Should those individuals be deployed or become ill and cannot work, you're left with a crew and apparatus sitting in the station. Again, pull out the regulations and emphasize the need to get these individuals trained. I'm sure there is a way to get a mass training session implemented. There is always a way to cut orders and have it count in these situations.
    Last edited by kferrara2002; 10-18-2008 at 09:42 PM.

CFEI / CFII

Ok great ideas guys and lots of helpful info. Iím going to have to print this thread off.

Deal with the CDCís I can get them for the unit, and I have a NCO working on a CDC program for the unit right now. But Pvt. Joe Snuffy has a year to get one done. Not only that but we donít have the props to do some of the CDCís with, so doing CDCís is a great idea but we just cant do the Haz Mat stuff, driver stuff(EVOC), any anything else you need props for. No base around to help out either. Also we all know how the reserves are, you give them a year to get it done in and not a person will get it done.

My main concern right now is driver certs. I have two NOCís out of 55 soldiers that have their pumper cert. No one has an ARFF driver cert. Thatís what im pushing right now. Itís a one step at a time kind of thing. I know the NCOís and drivers need the driver certs right away.

I was told that money is not the problem, but soldierís time is. I canít have the entire unit come down for a 40 hour class and have it count for a drill weekend or A/T. What I can do is put them on orders but it wonít count as A/T.

I have a NOC calling around about having an instructor come down and start giving classes. I have a feeling thatís the best idea right now for the amount of people we have. I just need to get the guys up to speed, and then ill worry about the small stuff.

My department self certifies driver training using the course recommendation from IFCA. Its a cone course that requires serpentine forward and backwards,
    descending alley, loading dock, parallel parking. Requirements are to complete the course at least four times a year. New drivers must complete a minimum of 80 miles over the road in additional training.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Forum Member

IIRC, some of the USMC ARFF units used to do that. Some of the Marines complained because you can't force them to use their GI Bill for unit training. Not every military FF wants a degree in Fire Science. I believe they may use it at their option, but you have to be careful about making them feel as if it is required. This is second hand info, but I know it is in the ballpark and seems logical.

Forum Member

SEmper Fi Gunny V!

I had a question Ive earned an AA is Fire Protection technology and am an EMT, I want to go out for Federal fire and get back to OEF. I need to get all my IFSAC certs first though. How so I find places the teach FFI, FFII, HZMT cert courses?

Respsectfully submitted,

W. J. Holbrook USMC Veteran, EMT-b

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kyjarhead12 View Post
    SEmper Fi Gunny V!

I had a question Ive earned an AA is Fire Protection technology and am an EMT, I want to go out for Federal fire and get back to OEF. I need to get all my IFSAC certs first though. How so I find places the teach FFI, FFII, HZMT cert courses?

Respsectfully submitted,

W. J. Holbrook USMC Veteran, EMT-b
    You need to contact your state, or surrounding states Fire Marshal Offices, or whoever oversees fire training to see if their program is IFSAC approved. You can also contact the Bucks County Emergency Services Training Center (Pa.) they have a program specifically for DOD/IFSAC credentials.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

^^^^^^What he said

Thread Information