Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter reciprocity?

Hi All-

I have a question about reciprocity. Does any state fire training transfer to other states? I have been a paid Firefighter for 16 years in Ohio but have some family medical issues that may force us to relocate to another state. Is there a list anywhere that tells what states will accpt OH FF 240 cert?
    Also, can anyone tell me what IFSAC is? and what it means to have it and how do you get it?

Thanks so much for the info...

Forum Member

Smile

IFSAC is the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress: http://www.ifsac.org/. They can get you headed in the right direction. I'm in North Carolina, & the contact here is the NC Dept. of Insurance:
    http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/FireAndRes...on/FR_home.asp. Reciprocity is more-accepted now, but still not as much as in other occupations. Transferring in-rank is even less common. Best to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic7 View Post
    Hi All-

I have a question about reciprocity. Does any state fire training transfer to other states? I have been a paid Firefighter for 16 years in Ohio but have some family medical issues that may force us to relocate to another state. Is there a list anywhere that tells what states will accpt OH FF 240 cert?
    Also, can anyone tell me what IFSAC is? and what it means to have it and how do you get it?

Thanks so much for the info...
    Here is the list for what Ohio Courses are IFSAC accredited and the states that it should transfer to. Not saying that it will not transfer to others.

http://www.ifsac.org/Handbook/ACCREDITED_LEVELS.pdf
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Reciprocity would probably mean more to a volunteer than us. Most Dept's.are gonna make you go back thru the academy no matter how much time you have in and where. Just my experience in the matter.

Forum Member

Tennessee allows you to apply for reciprocity for your fire certs. They just have to have an IFSAC seal. If you received your certs prior to 2001, and they are not IFSAC, go to The Ohio Fire Academy web page and print off the IFSAC grandfather application. Send that in with a copy of your certs and you will get a new certification w/ an IFSAC seal. They allow you to grandfather Level I & II, Hazmat Awareness & Ops, & Instructor I & II.

Forum Member

I think you can transfer your certs to Florida, but I think you have to challenge their fire test.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I moved from NJ to OH my certifications transfered, sort of. They counted my class time however I still had to challenge the EMT, FF2, instructor and inspectors test which in my opinion defeats the purpose of true reciprocity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fairborn View Post
    Tennessee allows you to apply for reciprocity for your fire certs. They just have to have an IFSAC seal. If you received your certs prior to 2001, and they are not IFSAC, go to The Ohio Fire Academy web page and print off the IFSAC grandfather application. Send that in with a copy of your certs and you will get a new certification w/ an IFSAC seal. They allow you to grandfather Level I & II, Hazmat Awareness & Ops, & Instructor I & II.
    What application are you referring to? The one on the site refers to the 70's as the date. You can go to Columbus and take an IFSAC test now to get that card. I think it costs $150. Written and practical skills.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Im in NC and i finish EMT saturday, thats my state exam.
    I am almost done with my FF2
    would it transfer to Ohio?

Thread Information