MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Aerial Nozzles

Check out this link to newer products by Akron for aerial master streams.

http://www.akronbrass.com/uploadedFi...eam-Master.pdf

The new model Streammaster has the ability to operate at the critical angles when using the aerial/"telesquirt" booms below zero degrees and when it is necessary to get water into the ceiling/overhead areas. This is a nice feature. Most aerials and "telesquirts" (excludung true telesqurts-read brand name) are severely limited in being able to apply water in this fashion because the nozzle travel stops in line with the aerial. Our KME Firestix falls into this category. We cannot effectively operate the boom at lower than about 20 degrees from the sides. From the rear, below zero degrees, the nozzle simply washes the ground off.

For the engineering guys. Does this "extension" of operating range cause rating issues with the aerial because of the unusual direction of load by the nozzle reaction? Would a retrofit require engineering consultation? Are these nozzles limited in application or availible to any brand of rig?

http://www.akronbrass.com/uploadedFi...evere-Duty.pdf

This looks like it would be nice for tower applications where a manual "tiller bar" gun is desired. This style of gun is certainly preferrable to rapidly sweep water into involved areas and they seem to be making a comeback. As I understand it there are some rating issues by the manufacturers as to use of this type of gun. RFDACM02-You guys dealt with this on the ALF. Besides ALF and Seagrave-Aerialscope, do any other mfr's allow tiller bar guns these days and would the above gun be acceptible?

Just some thoughts, I don't sell anything.
    Last edited by MG3610; 10-13-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Would a retrofit require engineering consultation?
    I would certainly want a Mfr's Engineer to take a look at any product (and the forces created using it) that could have the potential to effect their device.

Would Ford approve of adding an aftermarket blower to one of their stock engines? No! How about while it was under warranty? HELL NO!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure the extended operating range will impact tip loads while flowing, if even allowed. RK Aerials allows 80 degrees above the axis parallel to the ladder on their straight sticks, with I'm sure a reduction in tip load, but I can't find that in writing to verify this. Chances are though, if you're sticking the tip through an opening and shooting a master stream into a burning attic, you're not riding the stick.

I'll keep looking for info on this.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Assuming your flowing 1250 gpm from the nozzle, the reaction force would be approximately 625 lbs, not to mention the aerial is most likely in a below grade position. It's probably not an advisable thing to do unless the manufacturer designed the aerial device that way.

MembersZone Subscriber

The point of my post is to identify that these new monitors offer some incerdible versatility, however they pose some potential questions as to their applicability.

If, by retrofitting with the Streammaster XT Monitor, you can now take your aerial (of any brand) and use it with the versatility of a telesqurt-this opens up some great possibilities for master stream fire attack improvement.

Nowhere can I locate any references by Akron that specify a danger of retrofitting this nozzle to existing aerials. I will be emailing my KME rep today to discuss this possibility.

As perviously mentioned, it would potentially cause some tip load restrictions, however, it seems like it would work.

Somewhere I heard ALF is putting these on their aerials, but I'm not sure if its true.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    The point of my post is to identify that these new monitors offer some incerdible versatility, however they pose some potential questions as to their applicability.

If, by retrofitting with the Streammaster XT Monitor, you can now take your aerial (of any brand) and use it with the versatility of a telesqurt-this opens up some great possibilities for master stream fire attack improvement.

Nowhere can I locate any references by Akron that specify a danger of retrofitting this nozzle to existing aerials. I will be emailing my KME rep today to discuss this possibility.

As perviously mentioned, it would potentially cause some tip load restrictions, however, it seems like it would work.

Somewhere I heard ALF is putting these on their aerials, but I'm not sure if its true.
    That is correct that ALF is putting those monitors on there Aerial Ladders!

ALF asked (worked with) ARKON to come up with this nozzle.

See Ad!

There are restrictions on the amount of weight you can have on the tip when operating above horitzontal with the nozzle.

Chief1ff
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chief1FF; 10-15-2008 at 11:13 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats perfect, thanks for the reply Chief!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd definitely want to get the manufacturer to sign off on the retrofit. The aerial engineers tend to be very particular with forces and loads. When we were speccing our tower we found that the sales people would tell us "no problem" on the tiller bar gun, but upon discussion before the final bid only two would commit to actually to actually speccing them, ALF and Scope. Others may have done it but we couldn't get a final answer. E-One and Peirce flat out said NO do to the ability to create rapid changes in directional force. While this would not be the case with a motorized monitor like the ones presented here, the engineers have a lot to say about what gets mounted on the tip of a new aerial.

Like VANISLE noted, check to see your aerials rating below 0, 15, 30, and 45 degrees and see if the force created by the guns full flow would violate the rating. But I'd also check with the builder no mater what.

Thread Information