Forum Member

Talking Madison WI written test

I know MFD will be accepting applications through December 6th,but has anyone heard about when the written exam will be given?

Forum Member

I might be mistaken, but I thought I saw February 9th or something like that.

Forum Member

I just looked at the madison fire dept website,

The written examination has been scheduled for Monday, February 2, 2009. You will be notified of the time and location. There are NO alternate exam dates or times.

that is straight from the website.

Forum Member

I got an invitation yesterday to the written exam. It was surprising to see that there were only 25 more people invited to take the written than in the last process. With there being an extra moth to apply, I was sure there would be more applicants. Maybe more were rejected right off the bat. I guess there's only so much room at the Alliant Energy Center for taking the exam in two sessions. Mine is at 7 AM. Looks like I'll have to bring a thermos of joe. I tested in the later group last time, which I'm assuming is at 12:15 PM again.

Forum Member

So I am one of the 1149 applications. Surtur or anyone else got any helpful advice for this test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

If there are 1149 for this process, at least at this point, that is about average from previous testings in Madison. I think that is near what there were 2 yrs ago. Lights would know for sure. Hope to see you all there, my testing time is 12:15pm February 2. Good luck to all and here is to hoping that I and others from here can make it back to the eligible 118 like last time.
    Last edited by APiernot; 01-12-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Forum Member

Be honest, Especially on the personal inventory. If you are not honest it could come back to haunt you. some questions get asked over and over with slight variations. good luck to all in the process, my friend on the dept loves his job

Forum Member

i think the most important aspect of the written is the personal inventory. You need to be as honest as possible. I think any dishonesty will hurt you later on in the testing. As you progress through the testing, people drop like flies. Some have scheduling conflicts, some dont show, some cant pass the physical. I've seen several "fit" people not make it! dont be afraid to show up to the practice physical, it can only help. If you make it to an oral, dont be afraid to " toot you horn" Look at the past several academies. Not too many didnt have experience of some sort. Like i said "be honest" . good luck to all!! My friend on the dept. loves his job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmine109 View Post
    So I am one of the 1149 applications. Surtur or anyone else got any helpful advice for this test?
    fmine, my advise would be that you not focus too much on each one of the personality or background questions. If you do that, you'll wind up over thinking the questions and find yourself scrambling at the end of the test in order to finish within the four hours allotted. I know that four hours seems like a long time, but you'll be surprised at how quickly that time can get away from you. Plus, the longer you think about which answer to give, the more tempting it is to try and give answers that you think they want to see instead of simply being honest. Just be completely truthful for this test no matter how tempting it is to give answers that you think will make you seem like a better candidate. If you're not honest, the test has so many questions that you'll eventually get tripped up and become inconsistent with your answers. That can cause failure. You're by no means expected to have gone through life unscathed or possess a flawless personality; otherwise, I wouldn't have passed last time, but you ARE expected to be an honest candidate. If you make it to an interview, you'll find that honesty is one of the most important virtues that Madison looks for in potential firefighters.

This may not be revolutionary advise, but I hope that it helps for what it's worth.

Thread Information