Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

damn, the D/C beat me to it
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Firefighters seem to get the brunt of budget cutbacks. We have constantly been told we have to more with less, and we have risen to the challenge, only to be slapped across the face again when we are asked to give even more for less.
    and as "unfirefighter" as it might sound, we continue to do it, and we wonder why we keep getting targetted for cuts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The mutts won't hire additional personnel, saying that paying OT is cheaper... then they whine and bitch that OT costs are going through the roof and demand to know why.. duh.. because it's the situation the politicians created.
    you noticed that too huh? thought it was just me....

I hope it doesn't take a death to force the politicians to realize that the cuts are a bad idea....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default I feel your pain

I hate threads like this and with good reason, I just get angry because I can't really do much about it. The cuts in staffing are dangerous and the politicans don't care because they can't see beyond the budget cycle. I wish I could do more than say "I feel for ya!" here's hoping that the situation improves!
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    as "unfirefighter" as it might sound, we continue to do it, and we wonder why we keep getting targetted for cuts

No, it doesn't sound "un-firefighter", it sounds like what we are supposed to do, and how we are supposed to act. A run comes in and we take care of it. We are supposed to go to work and do our job, regardless of circumstance.

We are tired of just trying to do more with less, mostly because it doesn't work. We know the pain of Detroit, or Trenton, or Gary, because the same thing, if not worse happens in those cities every single day.
    I am glad we are finally saying out loud what needs to be said, and that is that politicians, along with some of our chiefs are more worried about dollars, or their jobs, or staying in office term after term, than they are about the lives of civilians and us.
    Case in point here, Chief Douglass Holton budgeted an 8% pay raise for himself in this budget, along with an aide position for the departments PIO. We know where Chief Holton's priorities are, and that is not with his firemen.

Hopefully, with the research that went into producing local-215's power point, it will be blatantly obvious that doing "more with less" does not work.

The real research has been going on in Washington DC, Detroit, MI, and Gary, IN for a number of years, and I know there are more out there. That research has been etched in blood, and burns, and broken bones.
    Washington DC proved that any budget savings accrued, at the expense of no less than five-man truck companies, is quickly negated by line-of-duty workman's comp payouts, or worse, line-of-duty-deaths. This doesn't even take into account the civilians who are hurt or killed by these very same cuts. What value do they have? Or, are flowers in the boulevards more important than the lives of our residents?

In any event, I just wanted to say thanks for the support. Local-215 is by far not the only local being subjected to dangerous staffing cuts. There are many of us in all of our departments who are feeling this pain, daily. Let's put a stop to this, and force our politicians to be wise with budgets, rather than foolish.

Forum Member

Sorry to hear about the budget cuts. There is some talk about the same thing in my department.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    No, it doesn't sound "un-firefighter", it sounds like what we are supposed to do, and how we are supposed to act. A run comes in and we take care of it. We are supposed to go to work and do our job, regardless of circumstance.
    you misunderstood (or maybe I was unclear, if so I apologize).

We constantly do more with less. As I have said before, we do the same job with fewer men, fewer companies, and less money. and then we get cut again. and we do it with fewer men, fewer companies and less money.

As the DC said, we do more with less, and rise to the challenge, and get cut again. because we always do find a way to rise to the challenge, and get the job done, politicians say they can cut us again, and do, because we continue to rise to challenge and get the job done.

it truly is a vicious circle.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information