Forum Member

Default Transferring Firefighter II to IL

Alright, I haven't found a clear answer on this yet. I am planning on taking the Firefighter II and EMT B courses at Madison Area Technical College. What I am trying to find out is if it is worth it because I am moving back to Illinois next year.

Will these transfer over and would it be big hassle to do that? How do you go about transferring them? Should I just take them in Illinois to avoid it possibly not transferring? Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

I don't know all the details and such, but according to what I've heard from my instructor at MATC, if I heard correctly, IL is pretty good about accepting WI credentials.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is what I found on the Illinois State Fire Marshall's webpage:

CERTIFICATION

1. How do I transfer my certification from other states to Illinois ?

The State of Illinois does not grant automatic certificate reciprocity. All courses must be reviewed to establish if the course(s) satisfy a minimum of 80% of the required Illinois objectives for a level of certification once an individual is employed by an Illinois fire department. The review is based on submission of the course documentation, i.e. course syllabi, training documentation, proof of course completion and a completed equivalency checklist with a money order or certified check for $100.00. The Authority having Jurisdiction is allowed to review and accept legal responsibility for the training for Firefighter II and III, but all other courses must be reviewed by Office staff. If a course is granted equivalency, the individual is allowed one attempt of the State Written and Practical examinations. If passed, certification will be awarded. If unsuccessful, the individual must pass an approved Illinois course prior to re-testing.

2. I am interested in moving to another state, are my certifications transferable?

You will need to check with the other entity to check their requirements. We do suggest that you obtain and keep copies of your own training records indicating the number of hours you have trained for the various levels and copies of completion certificates or transcripts for schools you have attended.

3. When should the Application for Certification/Validation/Attestation be mailed?

Please do not send the application until after you have received your exam results.

4. What other paperwork must I mail with the Application for Certification/Validation/Attestation?

Please mail copies of any transcripts, course completion certificates, or official paperwork showing where and when you attended the class. If submitted with the application, your certification will not be held or returned requesting the course completion until the official roster from the department/school has been received and processed.

5. What paperwork is needed to apply for Fire Apparatus Engineer certification?

In addition to the Application for Certification/Validation/Attestation form, the Driving Validation form must be submitted.

6. My original certificate has been lost or destroyed. How do I request a replacement certificate?

The employing fire department may request a duplicate certificate by writing, faxing or emailing a request to the division with the individual's name, social security number and level(s) of certification that the duplicate certificate is require for. The duplicate will be forwarded to the employing department.

7. Can certificates be sent to my home address?

All certificates are sent to the employing Fire Chief. No exceptions are made.

8. I cannot be certified as a Firefighter III until I have 3 years in the fire service. Will my Certificate automatically be sent out to my Chief?

Due to the volume of fire departments and individuals that our office serves it would be best to have your Chief or Training Officer notify us in writing when you have attained your three years.

9. Does OSFM handle EMT certification?

No, EMT certification is handled by the Illinois Department of Public Health. They may be contacted at 217/785-2080.

10. How long is my practical exam valid for?

All practical exams are valid for one year, with the exception of Firefighter II & II. Firefighter II & III are valid up to five years.

I hope that's helpful in some degree.

Forum Member

Default Credential Transfering

I'll give an opposite opinion here, but I found transfer of credentials to Illinois probably the most difficult of several states. After many years experience and Wisconsin credentials I would have basically had to retest for each one and take some classes. Not that the classes wouldn't do me some good, I found the entire process very cumbersome and sometimes unclear. One good thing, your FF II in Wisconsin will be IFSAC accredited. I'm hearing Illinois, which uses neither IFSAC or Pro Board is learning towards one of them, I beleive its Pro. Everybody's experience is different, but if you know for sure you are moving to Illinois start working on this stuff early or ASAP. The U of I Fire Institute is one of the best I've ever seen, however I found the fire marshalls difficult in this area and we glad I had to opp to move back to Wisconsin. I've dealt with many in this predicament, most have told me Illinois is a difficult one.

MembersZone Subscriber

How about going the opposite direction, IL to WI? I have a bunch of IL certs and may be looking to move to WI. I cannot find anything on the net about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    How about going the opposite direction, IL to WI? I have a bunch of IL certs and may be looking to move to WI. I cannot find anything on the net about it.
    I looked on the Wisconsin Fire Service Education and Training webpage. I found they have a Certification Program Policy and Procedure Manual. According to Article 5.2 Reciprocal Certification: Reciprocal certification shall be issued upon request to individuals currently certified by entities whose certifications are accredited by IFSAC or the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (NPQS). The certification must meet the current standard utilized by the WTCS. Requests for reciprocity shall consist of a cover letter thoroughly explaining the certification level(s) for which reciprocity is being requested, photocopies of the certificates for which reciprocity is being requested with the accreditation agency seal and number clearly displayed, and full name, address, and date of birth of the individual requesting reciprocity. But if Illinois isn't accredited by either one then I have no clue lol. I tried searching but I couldn't find anything either.
    Last edited by fyrfyter414; 11-14-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Forum Member

PM me, I beleive I can help you out a little more.

MembersZone Subscriber

PM Sent...

Forum Member

Alright, I was planning on moving back to IL in August, but I decided I am just going to move back in a couple weeks. I have a feeling it will save me a lot of time to just get my stuff done in IL. I am going to get my EMT: B starting in January and also try to get on with Tinley Park POC.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Information