Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Osceola Fire Rescue

I am on the list to start testing soon for this department. I am wondering if anyone knows the employment process including whats on the written/agility test.

A year ago, I got a hiring packet from them. From what I can recall, the written exam covers Fire essentials and EMS. Fire practicals I believe is similar to fire combat challenge and EMS.

Floater for life!!

if it is the same as when i was hired there is a written of about 100 questions(i think) based on the essentials book. I cant remeber if there was EMS questions on it kinda like a 50/50 test Then you will have an ems practical consisting of 4-6 stations consisting of Pt imobilization, Assessment, Airway, and traction splinting. The agility is a combat challenge: High rise pack up 4 flights, hose hoist, keiser sled, hose pull, and dummy drag. Interview is a 4 person panel.

Now this is what i had to go through Oct 2006....i started in april of 2007 in the 2nd class off the list.....I am not sure if anything has changed since then......i recently went by the training office to pick up my books for the county sponsored medic program and i noticed some info on the board there. They had a start date of jan '09. also i noticed a note on a new hire maze...not sure if thats a maze for class or for testing......if i remember correctly the last testing process was done at the Cent FL fire academy.....thats the best i got for ya....good luck

Yeah, if you noticed a note with regard to a maze, and it is up in Central Florida Academy, you are correct. I work for a different Fire Department but I had to go through it during my orientation after being hired.

Forum Member

Any news on the process with Osceola? I haven't heard from them and they don't answer questions on the phone because its all electronic application stuff. I like the old days where you can follow up and be aggressive, nowadays you can't in most places.

Anyhow, if anyone knows any info on whats going on and how many applicants and how many positions are open that would be helpful.

=D

Floater for life!!

all i know is they closed the process once they reached 200 applicants for 20 something jobs....for some reason they just opened it back up last week with a closing date of Nov 6th......all i have heard is the start date is supposed to be early Jan......i would assume they will be doing the process quickly like they did this last time.....i did hear we had 18 medics apply....which is great for us and engine time......We havent received any notifications of standby opportunities for the physical......keep your hopes up....i would assume you will be contacted soon after this application deadline closes......oh and did anyone that applied get anything about writing an essay? heard that yesterday at lunch
    Last edited by e10pvmt; 11-04-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Forum Member

Standby for physicals? What do you mean? As far as an essay, I had to write a brief one when I submitted my application and that was it. Is that the one? 200 applicants for 20 positions? Dang! Thats a bunch heh.

I also applied for this position as an EMT. Not quite sure what to expect but am planning on Essentials Fire and Brady EMS material to study. We'll see, good luck to all you guys.

Floater for life!!

standbys as in EMS standby for the tests.....but if its at the academy we probably wont get offered then since htey are in a different county and legally i bet they couldnt do that......not sure though....cuz we get rehab standbys offered to us for orientation training.........and it was mentioned today that 19 medics have applied and i know that they we get snagged first as long as everything is kisher with testing and backgrounds.....of course last time we had 14 and only 2 accepted.......would be great for medic engine time.....i dont know what to advise you on for the tests besides what i said earlier since it seems like it has changed quite a bit since i tested 2 years ago.....but i talked to my rookie and he said he had to do a standard combat challenge at the academy for the agility test....not sure what he did for the written or practical....my LT mentioned a start date of jan 12th....not sure the truth to that......good luck to all of you

Forum Member

dang 14 medics and only 2 accepted? That is a very small passing rate. Hmm I wonder what the set back was.

Floater for life!!

i dont remember all the reasons...i believe some took other offers....but i doubt it was all testing.....i would think the only test that may be difficult would have been the agility if someone is out of shape....both medics that did accept were from other depts......as long as they pass all tests and BG checks they would get offers first......the word i overheard was that there were 19 ELIGIBLE to be hired...not sure how to take that but take it as you will

Forum Member

Oh ok, well the deadline has passed and I am hoping to hear from them soon. Also I have a question about their medic pay. I see on the posting, you get paid EMT pay until you are out of provisionals. How long does it take to get out of provisionals and once your done, do they back pay you for the time you were not paid as a medic? I am just curious.

Default Hiring info

Just curious of how long did it take you guys that are already hired to get through the process? Also what order does the hiring process take place? For instance written test, BG, etc.... I submitted my app. in time and am waiting on a response. Thanks to all you guys that are passing on info for us new guys.

Floater for life!!

what you are reffering to is precepting.......your paramedic incentive is $7500 a year on top of your base pay.....so as a firefighter you make 36k or os plus the 7500....once you are eligible and are promotoed to engineer you make X amount of dollars plus the 7500 medic incentive.......precepting works like this.....if you arent put on the engine for a few shifts then you will start as the EMT on the box....you will, when your hired, recieve 1/2 your incentive hourly....i forget the exact hourly amount but say your incentive is $2 and hour you would recieve $1 an hour incentive while your precepting.....as soon as your done you will recieve the other half.....precepting is normally about 20 shifts or so.....i know some people were released earlier but i am not ure if they are doing that anymore....i believe they are requiring the 20 shifts now......once completing precepting you will be assigned to a station and be there for a year.....once you are off probation you will be reassigned as a floater until someone comes along and kicks you out of floating once they are off there probation.....which will be someone like me.....if you get hired you will be a released medic when i am starting P4......as soon as i complete my medic probation i will be moved to the float position and boot you out......this is a new policy so i have been the floater for about 18 months and when i am done it will be 2 years....my new guy is off probation in april......what the float pool will look like at that time is unclear.....as of now more and more engines are sitting at 4 man engines (3 is our min) and 2 man rescues......if there is 4 people on an engine someone could call in or be of and no one would float.......and best case is all 19 or so medics get hired and pass precepting then more medics arent "stuck" on the box and will ride backwards.....most LT's will ride a medic backwards if they have a choice so they dont have to have the keys......oh and if it hasnt been said all our units are ALS except our truck and squad

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I am really anxious to hear from them. I haven't heard anything...I am hoping tomorrow =) I was just wondering about the pay because I didnt know if I was going to be paid regular FF/EMT pay until I pass precepting and if back pay was involved for the time your precepted. I know departments that have done that so I just wanted to see if yours does.

If you hear anything else, let me know...I appreciate it...

Floater for life!!

cool....i have medic class next to the training office....i checked the board today and nthing has changed......i would assume you may here something soon....i know they can get everyhting done quick once they have your BG check done.....goo dluck to you and maybe i will see you in orientation

Forum Member

Well my app has been in review with the department since 9/19. I know my BG is clean and I have all the req. certs including EVOC. I live in Bradenton, so you know being in Brandon its a commute. I am hoping I can get most of the testing and whatnot done close together but im not gonna complain. I just want to work for this department bad.

Forum Member

Unhappy

I got my letter for testing in the mail today and I am glad but it was surprising to see the candidates are required to pay for testing. I hope I can come up with the cash in time...

Top 30 candidates get an interview. I am guessing they got quite a few as they have practical testing set up for Dec. 1-5.
    Last edited by firemedic80; 11-16-2008 at 01:24 AM.

Floater for life!!

wow...didnt know aout that....that sux.....i guess the only good hting is its probably the standardized test and it would be good for several depts in lieu of there testing....but i am not sure which ones....good luck to you thoug....i feel it will be wel worth it cuz if you pass i owuld guess its almost a certainty you will be offered employment with your patch

Forum Member

I hope so, but they only say that they will accept the top 30 with nothing mentioning preference on medics. The agility test is five stations:

Trauma primary and secondary survey

Search and Rescue, removing a victim from a maze

100 ft dry 1 3/4 hose to third floor and back down

24 foot extension ladder carry and raise

100 ft charged line drag and knock over 3 cones

Written test, medical and fire

Thread Information