Exclamation need help on grant writting

I have recently moved from an urban area to a very rural area of north carolina. I have since joined the volunteer Fire department and am aw struck by the lack of equipment. I actualy find my fire fighting abilitys hendered by this. The department has not even been applying for grants, I have never written one before however I will be attempting it now. Our first immediate need is turnout gear, airpacks and spare bottles, and irons. Any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank's
    FF/medic sam

Forum Member

Default Grant help is out there

My advice to you would be to get hooked up with Kurt Bradley from chief grants. He has helped us in the past on grant and we have received money on the AFG grant and turnout gear should be a priority for you to get. SCBA also possible. Check out the site and get connect with Kurt.http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/ He also put on a great grant writing class

Forum Member

you have found the right place my friend.....scroll through all of the thousands of posts here and you will be a better grant writer.....bunkers and scba's are almost shoo-ins for an award and if the department you joined has never applied for AFG, you are definately needy.....also, brush up on the english or get a good proof reader aka your wife....

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations......welcome to the world of grant writing. As a first time writer you may feel that this process is overwhelming and daunting. Not the case......it just takes some time and effort on your part to understand the process to be successful. You have taken the first step by posting here. Any time you have a question just post it and it will be answered.

Get up to speed:

1) Review the 2008 AFG program guidance to familiarize yourself with the program and priorities.

http://firegrantsupport.com/docs/2008AFGguidance.pdf

2) Review applicable NFPA standards for the project. The standards can be reviewed on line, but cannot be downloaded.

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/li..._standards.asp

3) Attend a Regional workshop. Usually start after the first of the year.

4) Attend a seminar with Kurt Bradley and/or Brian Vickers. Both are offering seminars in NC. Schedules can be found at:

Kurt: http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/index.asp

Brian: http://www.vickersconsultingservices.com/

Project:

You have identified 3 areas of need......PPE (#1) & SCBA (#2) are the top priorities for the OPS grant.

Assuming that your department is small with a small budget you may want to look at doing this project over 2 years. If you submit for all 3 the cost/benefit maybe so high that you will get tossed out. A multiple item project (shopping cart) may pass for a large department, but usually hinders the small ones.

Start with PPE (#1) the first year and SCBA (#2) the second year. Do not ask for the irons in a grant proposal. They are a low priority item that will pull your score down hurting your application. Find another source for the irons and stick to the high priority items.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by spark353 View Post
    I have recently moved from an urban area to a very rural area of north carolina. I have since joined the volunteer Fire department and am aw struck by the lack of equipment. I actualy find my fire fighting abilitys hendered by this. The department has not even been applying for grants, I have never written one before however I will be attempting it now. Our first immediate need is turnout gear, airpacks and spare bottles, and irons. Any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank's
    FF/medic sam
    Spark353 I'll be glad to help you out if you will give me a call at 800-992-0272 Ext 3111. I am on EST 7-7 daily.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Spark353 I'll be glad to help you out if you will give me a call at 800-992-0272 Ext 3111. I am on EST 7-7 daily.
    Best call I ever made for my department!! Be sure to have a paper and something to write with when you call.

Kelly

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    Best call I ever made for my department!! Be sure to have a paper and something to write with when you call.

Kelly
    Thanks Kelly. Looking forward to December and coming back to Alum Bank once again. Too bad the new truck won't be quite done yet.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thanks Kelly. Looking forward to December and coming back to Alum Bank once again. Too bad the new truck won't be quite done yet.
    Keep your fingers crossed on that one Kurt. The chassis is in, the pump was supposed to arrive on Friday, and the body was nearing completion on the manufacturing side of things. Only thing they are waiting for is the tank to get it put together. I am hoping it is completed a few weeks early so it can be there for the seminar. I do know that people who are interested in attending the Alum Bank seminar need to get their registrations in to lock in the early bird pricing.

Kelly

Forum Member

We will be hosting a one day seminar in Rockingham County in NC on Dec. 6. Shoot me an email if you would like to attend. PS It is free to attend thanks to MES.

jcruise@ co.rockingham.nc.us

MembersZone Subscriber

live by a copy on FEMA-AFG guidelines, even get a copy of last years app if you can and start doing homework, also Kurt is the man, you will believe once you call him and then think $hit that guy is the cream of the crop! He has helped me a couple times and in hte future. GOto one of his seminars if you can. I will tell you what it is like it a coule of weeks. Be prepared to research and read and more, I will say it is very time consuming but worth it in hte long run. Good luck.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Also I have 2 other stops in NC besides Rockingham, White Lake NC is on Nov 13th and waiting on the info for the 12th which will also be Eastern NC. Will be back all over NC with more workshops in Jan & Feb.

Forum Member

This is the number you want to call he has lots to offer and also if you get a chance the grant class he put on is excellent. I have been to one and will be off to another one in December to brush up some more on the skill of grant writing.

Thread Information