Forum Member

Default Question for all the testers?

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you all that are still in the testing process, how do you guys get the time and money to take the tests? I am a student and working a full time seasonal job but am finding it incredibly hard to get to test dates on time. I am shot-gunning it lately but the more tests dates I miss, the more I think I will just select 5 and work at them. Right now I am missing many days from work to make some tests. I'm in the process for 7 and applied to about 15 this past year. Time and money are getting tougher and tougher. How do you guys do it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ACfire1 View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to ask you all that are still in the testing process, how do you guys get the time and money to take the tests? I am a student and working a full time seasonal job but am finding it incredibly hard to get to test dates on time. I am shot-gunning it lately but the more tests dates I miss, the more I think I will just select 5 and work at them. Right now I am missing many days from work to make some tests. I'm in the process for 7 and applied to about 15 this past year. Time and money are getting tougher and tougher. How do you guys do it?
    man i'm 25 and i feel your pain...I also have school & a full time job....its real hard to workout...and study...

you just have to manage your time the best you can....at my current job they know I want to be FF...and they excuse alot of my "call in's" as long as I give them proof I left NYC to take an exam or anything FF related in another state....

all you can do is try your best....work hard and everything will fall into place....

GOOD LUCK....

Permanently Removed

All I can offer is this-

First- Decide absolutely where you want to work and live and focus on that/those specific areas.

Hopefully, this will keep the traveling and other expenses down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    man i'm 25 and i feel your pain...I also have school & a full time job....its real hard to workout...and study...

you just have to manage your time the best you can....at my current job they know I want to be FF...and they excuse alot of my "call in's" as long as I give them proof I left NYC to take an exam or anything FF related in another state....

all you can do is try your best....work hard and everything will fall into place....

GOOD LUCK....
    Amen to that...

Went from 5 days a week working out to maybe 1 or 2 because juggling a full time job 40+ hrs a week, EMT-I for 4 hrs three nights a week, testing and throw in clinicals in about 2-3 months I won't have much free time at all anymore. Hang in there guys...3 years of hard work is worth the chance on a lifetime.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

I have a friend that always has an excuse as to why he has not been hired, but when you look at the real reason it is because he didn't work for it. I have been testing and I am very close to being hired. My friend always has an excuse as to why he can't test or go to an interview. My advise is make it a priority, if you want it that much, drop everything to get it. If it means calling out of work, or taking a vacation, skipping a class, or missing a few parties. Things will work out for you, if you make them work out for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Amen to that...

Went from 5 days a week working out to maybe 1 or 2 because juggling a full time job 40+ hrs a week, EMT-I for 4 hrs three nights a week, testing and throw in clinicals in about 2-3 months I won't have much free time at all anymore. Hang in there guys...3 years of hard work is worth the chance on a lifetime.

your currently taking EMT-I courses?

Forum Member

Well I've narrowed it down to a specific region but even those places are like 3-4 hour drives with so many steps in a process. I've probably missed about 20-25 days of work the past 6 months though to test. The past 2 years between school and fire testing I've been through 2-3 jobs and it doesn't look good. Can't really tell them that Im testing to be a Fireman because looking for another job is grounds for discipline at the company I work for. The only thing that truly sucks is this job isn't going to give me a good reference at all, if they don't fire me first. I'm just learning to not shotgon all over the east coast and focus mostly in 2 states. I'll have my degree soon and Paramedic. Luckily I got a supportive family.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seventies View Post
    I have a friend that always has an excuse as to why he has not been hired, but when you look at the real reason it is because he didn't work for it. I have been testing and I am very close to being hired. My friend always has an excuse as to why he can't test or go to an interview. My advise is make it a priority, if you want it that much, drop everything to get it. If it means calling out of work, or taking a vacation, skipping a class, or missing a few parties. Things will work out for you, if you make them work out for you.

I agree with you there man. Something you really have to work for and sacrifice just about everything. I'm 23 and the nights I used to spend out with buddies is spent doing cardio or weight training or studying civil service tests. Lost a few jobs to test and made a few bad grades but it's high risk, high reward.

Forum Member

If you are really that stressed on time, I would focus on departments you really want to work for and also larger departments that are hiring multiple candidates. You have a better chance of getting picked up w/ a dept. hiring 50 out of 2000 candidates thatn 5 out of 500.

Schedule as far ahead as you can so you can out in time off and schedule make-ups if they are allowed w/ your school.

Good luck...this road isn't supposed to be easy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    your currently taking EMT-I courses?
    Yep...year long course plus clinicals and an internship.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

You are approaching testing in the wrong manner. Instead of taking every test under the sun, I would encourage you to be selective in where you test. Save your hard earned money (and valuable time off from work) for the really important tests. DO NOT waste your time, money, and good will with your employer to take a test where the department is looking to hire only a few firefighters.

Instead, put the money in the bank and put it toward tuition at school and take another class. Your ultimate goal should be to become THE MOST qualified candidate you can be. When you do make it to the interview, you are one of the most qualified candidates the board will see instead of being just another candidate with average credentials.

A candidate with a degree, fire academy and reserve position stands above the crowd. I would not encourage you to take every test. An average candidate is an average candidate no matter how many tests he takes. While you may ďhit a home runĒ and get hired, you are better off being selective as to where you take exams.
    Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Just like everyone else on this post. Itís a juggling act man! Iím married with two little girls and not to mention I am a little more entrenched in life at my older age. I hold a very professional position in my place of business so itís very hard and it always seems I am walking a fine line of balance. Iím also a volunteer with a local department that I keep testing with but at least that helps me keep up my certs and in the loop. I just try to focus on the areas I want to live and keep plugging away. I realize that I canít afford (time/money) cast a wide net and I wonít make every test. I study when I can, in my car during lunch breaks, late at night, on business trips. My new dilemma, do I take the big step and drop off the radar for four months to become a medic in some accelerated program? I donít know. Keep the faith!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhigens View Post
    Just like everyone else on this post. Itís a juggling act man! Iím married with two little girls and not to mention I am a little more entrenched in life at my older age. I hold a very professional position in my place of business so itís very hard and it always seems I am walking a fine line of balance. Iím also a volunteer with a local department that I keep testing with but at least that helps me keep up my certs and in the loop. I just try to focus on the areas I want to live and keep plugging away. I realize that I canít afford (time/money) cast a wide net and I wonít make every test. I study when I can, in my car during lunch breaks, late at night, on business trips. My new dilemma, do I take the big step and drop off the radar for four months to become a medic in some accelerated program? I donít know. Keep the faith!
    Don't do the accelerated program. You will only be cheating yourself...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ACfire1 View Post
    I agree with you there man. Something you really have to work for and sacrifice just about everything. I'm 23 and the nights I used to spend out with buddies is spent doing cardio or weight training or studying civil service tests. Lost a few jobs to test and made a few bad grades but it's high risk, high reward.
    I'm in the same position as you. Eventually I got over going out with buddies all the time and decided to dedicate myself to FF school and training. I'm just lucky I have a job where I can tell my boss that I need the day(s) off for FF stuff.

Keep grinding man. It will all pay off in the end if you put forth 110%.

Thread Information