Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Pierce Saber Chassis problems

Anybody else having problems with Pierce Saber chassis apparatus? My department bought a 2001 Saber Rescue pumper Detroit 40 series, Allison MD3060 transmission, 1250gpm single stage Waterous. We have had many issues with this particular piece of equipment.

1st problem was after pumping the vehicle would not shift into reverse without first pulling forward several feet. We have had several instances where the vehicle would not shift into pump gear. The Micro Controller has had to be replaced twice. Most recently we had a siren speaker short out which caused the driver to short out. No fuses or circuit breakers tripped, This caused the load manager to shut down the whole apparatus. We have been told by the local Pierce service department has told us that the siren speaker can cause this to happen.

Has anyone else had similar issues or questionable service?
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Wow I guess we've been really lucky. We have 2 1996 Sabers with the same setup and we've never had any major issues with either one. Finally had the pump overhauled on one this year but that was due to a leaking output shaft seal on the T case. We decided that since it was that far down we might as well go ahead.
    Personally I have nothing bad to say about Pierce. All of my experiance with them has been good.

Forum Member

Cool Saber

In 1987 we took delivery of a Pierce Saber, within 6 months the transfer case dropped out of it at a call, we pumped for several hours, never went back into road from pump, seven thousand dollars later, we were back on the road, pierce did not once try to help us pay for it. Since then we take the truck to a non pierce dealer, and are buying a new truck next spring, not a Pierce, seemed like a great package, the Saber that is , really under powered low end truck, next to be a Spartan Gladiator . Good Luck.

Thank you both for your input. I guess our issues are ours and ours alone. I have been told by our Chief that this is the last Pierce to park in our house.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

If its an air shift check the air tanks for water.
    If it's electric shift you might have a bad shift motor. Waterous uses a motor thats the same as a 2 speed rear motor to shift into pump.

Also Check the manual pump shift cable. This might be starting to seize up. Have someone shift it into pump while you observe the handle. It should go in and out easily as the pump is shifted in and out. If it doesnt go into pump follow the instructions to manually put it into pump and see if it goes in.

That would explain the not going into and out of pump if we had not made all those checks and everything been good. The pumper will now get out of its own way with a new cam position sensor. We still have the pump shift issues that are resolved by simply repeating the procedures. We are on our 3rd Micro Controller. And most importantly our local rep is still more concerned with the Chief's tone and language than he is taking care of our issues.

Forum Member

We have a '96 Saber. The paint is falling off for the 2nd time (major corrission problems), all the lights that are mounted flush to the metal have rotted at least once some are being replaced for the 2nd time. The power steering resivoir has fallen off x2 that I am aware of. The fuel tank fell out of. The left rear compartment is rotting through. The manual pump shift has frozen up in the past. The front door windows have rotted and fallen into the door x3. We had a pump cooler line rot out. And the list goes on! We had little to NO warranty support and all of the above was under warranty when these problems started and where reported.

We recently purchased a new truck and it was NOT a Pierce.

We own 2 Pierce units the last is a piece.

First issue sounds like an Allison problem... the other sounds like a Waterous issue.

Siren speaker shorting out? If anything I could see the Q doing it or some old rotating light bar... hmmm... odd. Did you take the rig to an independant EVT service shop?

Ouch a Detroit 40 series? How's it holding up?
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

The apparatus was taken to the only EVT shop in our area. They happen to be the service department associated with our area Pierce dealer.

The 40 series. It has been dependable. Underpowered, won't get out of its own way but it's been dependable. We recently changed the cam position sensor and the engine came to life with a considerable amount of additional accelaration.

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    The apparatus was taken to the only EVT shop in our area. They happen to be the service department associated with our area Pierce dealer.

The 40 series. It has been dependable. Underpowered, won't get out of its own way but it's been dependable. We recently changed the cam position sensor and the engine came to life with a considerable amount of additional accelaration.
    what's rear end top speed geared for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking More engine power

Used to be you had to bore and stroke the engine, port and polish the heads, bigger carbs and exhaust and a wilder cam to get more hp. Now you just change the cam position sensor to get more power??

Times have changed !!

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Used to be you had to bore and stroke the engine, port and polish the heads, bigger carbs and exhaust and a wilder cam to get more hp. Now you just change the cam position sensor to get more power??

Times have changed !!
    you can also chip it... lol!

The 400 ISL in our other engine was turned up to about 430... it's a signifacnt difference! It also smokes more... hmmm LMAO!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post

Times have changed !!
    You're not old enough - we used to port and RELIEVE!

Thread Information