Forum Member

Default how can I get hired as a paid call firefighter?

Hello, I live in Santa Cruz, Ca. I am in the process of becoming a firefighter. I am 18 years old and currently going to a local JC to get a fire tech degree and EMT-b. I am also an explorer for my local department, and currently testing for the paid call firefighting job that they offer, I passed the C-PAT(with 2 minutes to spare), and the next step in the hiring process is the written exam. Out of the hundreds of people testing, the top 50 scores on the written exam will be invited to a oral interview, and from the 50, 25 will be selected to join as a paid call firefighter.

I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on how I can get hired as a paid call firefighter. And maybe some little tips or past experiences.

Anything will help, thanks
    Gregor Cameron
    Paid Call Firefighter
    Central Fire Protection District
    Santa Cruz, CA

Forum Member

You've already put into play many of the ingrediants to become a firefighter. What will help you make the cut and get the badge is learning how to take a firefighter interview.

The problem is many younger candidates don't think they have the life experience needed.

I gave a presentation at Shasta Fire College. Many students didn't feel they had any experience that would apply to the position. That was until I asked several candidates to tell me about their first and succeeding jobs in life; no matter how menial it seemed. Many had paper routes, mowing lawns and working at Burger King. O.K., what did you learn?

Once the answers started flowing, we heard how they learned to work hard, have responsibility, learn customer service and how to work as a team. Did you participate in sports in school? Isn't that working as a team. Do any of these areas apply to the fire service? You bet! So any time you can relate your personal life experience in answering an oral board question, you are telling the oral board that you not only know the answer the question, you have already lived it!

When the board asks what you have done to prepare for the position, don't forget to rewind the video tape of your life and create an early trail of how you learned how to work hard, have responsibility, and work as a team.

The biggest part of getting a high enough oral board score that will get you the badge is convincing the oral board you can do the job before you get it. Stories are convincing evidence that you are the match for the badge!

I knew several fire explorers who were too young to test. At large city badge ceremony one of the fire scouts got a badge on the first test he was old enough to take. You have never seen a happier rookie firefighter. His secret? He learned how to take a firefighter interview before he showed up for his oral board.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Ya I played a lot of sports, I was on a comp. soccer team for 5 years, and I also played school sports, I was actually the captain of the JV soccer team when I was a sophomore, I also played football and baseball. And I have job experence, thank you, this will definitely help me in my interview.
    Gregor Cameron
    Paid Call Firefighter
    Central Fire Protection District
    Santa Cruz, CA

Thread Information