MembersZone Subscriber

Default colorado fire and ems

I know there are many threads similar to this post ,but they didnt answer all my questions. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any more info on the following departments. I planning on moving to colorado between now and may. I just got my paramedic, I have three years exp.. 2 years being in a very busy ems system as an emt. I would really like to eventully get on a fire dept in colorado but I am aware that the process takes a long time. So I would like to move to colorado and get know the area plus its easier to test when you are in the same state. I was looking at apply for the following departments

colorado springs - next test in 2009 ( this is my dream job) I was wondering how much would my paramedic help me in the process. I know they do the fireteam test.

Denver I would love this job if they where ALS is there any news if they will be hiring paramedics soon.

castle rock- I know they just had a hiring process not sure when they are hiring again I know they pay well and they are a growing department.

DRCOG- Looks Like alot of great departments and alot on there that run there own ambulance. wont be able to test there till june so I was worried I wouldnt get on most department list in time for this years academys Cause it seems most departments start there process in early spring.
    Littleton- seems like a great department when are they hiring again.
    Parker , South Metro merger seems like they put there hiring on hold for 2009
    North metro there web site sounds like they are a great dept and will be a new station soon.
    but it looks like all the departments on there would be great to work for.

So I would like to work on the ambulance till I got hired on fire. But I still had alot questions about them Like what is the PAY, Shifts I prefer 24s, And how often they hire. and if they are out of stations or system status management
    Denver seems like the same system I am in but I do like the double paramedic truck. sounds like there pay is all right starting out at 19hr
    AMR in the springs I have only heard bad things about AMR but alot people say they are not that bad in the springs. Whats there pay
    Platt valley ? pay? Shifts
    Grand county EMS ?Pay Shifts?
    NorthGlen Pay? Shifts ?
    thompson valley Pay? Shifts ?
    estes park ems Pay? Shifts ?
    Summit County Pay? Shifts ?
    Eagle County Pay? Shifts ?
    Western Eagle County Pay? Shifts ?
    Pridemark
    Pudre Valley ambulance..

also was wondering about the cost of living in colorado. I am coming from okc which has some of the lowest cost of living in the country 18 bucks an hour would go along way here. paramedics here only make 12hr. I am a single guy and dont have many expenses and am willing to live in a small apartment.

Thanks for any help

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Co EMS

I don't think your going to beat the pay at Denver Health. The downside to that is that I don't think they do 24 hour shifts. Mostly because they run all shift long.

I worked for Action Care Ambulance for a couple months before my current job fell into my lap. It's not a bad place to work, mostly your typical private service. Their pay varies based on your experience. I was at around 32,000 with 10 years in EMS and less than a year as a paramedic. The hourly rate varies passed on the type of shift you work adjusting so that you make the same amount per year. Basically, if you work 24's you make less than if you work 12's.

They do 10, 12 and 24 hour shifts but most medics are on 24 hour shifts on a modified Kelly schedule. The ambulances run out of quarters that are usually just 2 bedroom apartments.

I am not sure about OK, but if its not a National Registry state I would get it before you move. I made the mistake of not doing it and it too me a long time to get my Colorado certification.

Last but not least, good luck with your search!

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Well I will try to help, but here is a warning I AM VERY PRO Fire/EMS, and my opinions will will reflect.

Platt valley ? pay? Shifts.............I heard it was a very good Hospital based system out of Brighton, somewhat rural country
    Grand county EMS ?Pay Shifts?....Great Rural EMS, county funded, 48/96's not very busy expect some 2+ hour transfers to Denver though.
    NorthGlen Pay? Shifts ?..............private they run with N.Metro, expect lots of transfers
    thompson valley Pay? Shifts ?......Protocol driven system, pay is 3rd highest EMS only system, to Pudre and Denver, shifts are 24 hours
    estes park ems Pay? unknown
    Summit County Pay? Shifts ?24 hours shifts, expect long transfers down the hill.
    Eagle County Pay? Shifts ? 24, decent pay?
    Western Eagle County Pay? Shifts ?48's same as above? slower than above
    Pridemark:12's a sytem that I belive is circling the drain?
    Pudre Valley ambulance..hifts ?
    I belive they pay very well, shifts are 12's and 24's hospital based with a BLS FD
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you so much your input. I guess I leaning toward AMR or Denver Health I will be applying as a parmedic I have heard denver health pays about 18.50 hr and AMR About 16.50 hr

First I was wondering whats going on with denver health I heard they are having alot of problems right now. and how far will 18. 50 an hr go in denver will you be living in poverty. 18 bucks an hour in okc is a great rate. every one is telling me it is real expensive to live in denver right now.

Second which is better AMR in denver or in colorado springs? Does AMR in denver run 911 calls or just transports.

MembersZone Subscriber

IF pridemark is circling the drain who will replace them.

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

IF pridemark is circling the drain who will replace them.
    Unkown, but AMR is getting back into Boulder County.

AMR is always hirring, they do ALS transport in Longmont under Longmont Fire, Golden w/Golden Volunteer Fire, every where else up here they do transfers, pay is lower than average.

Rural Metro is ALWAYS hirring out of Aurora, they transport under Aurora Fire, pay is simmilar to AMR

keep in mind if a company is always hirring???????????????????
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flucas View Post
    how far will 18. 50 an hr go in denver will you be living in poverty. 18 bucks an hour in okc is a great rate. every one is telling me it is real expensive to live in denver right now.
    Having moved to Denver from OKC myself back in 2000, I can tell you that 18.50 will go quite a ways. If you're single and aren't carrying a lot of bills with you, then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a decent place to live. I was in a 1-bed in Aurora 2 years ago for just under $700 and I was making about $15 an hour at the time. To be safe, expect between $600 and $800 a month for studios and 1-bed apts, but the key is (and I know I probably don't have to tell you this) make sure you have the job at DHMC first. Most places will want first and last month's up front, or first month's and a deposit, which can make it kinda steep to get into an apartment right off the bat. With that said, don't be afraid of craigslist...you'd be amazed at what you can find sometimes.

What kills me is that I know my mom's payment for her 3-bed house in OKC is just a touch over $400. I still can't get over that.

Thread Information