Thread: Forced Overtime

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Actually sick time is for when you're "sick". Do people do what you suggest and just call off to get a day off? Yeah. Is it right? That's up to you to decide for yourself, but I wouldn't spout off on the internet about using your sick time just to get a 5 day break.

If you want time off, that's what vacation is for, imo.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    Actually sick time is for when you're "sick". Do people do what you suggest and just call off to get a day off? Yeah. Is it right? That's up to you to decide for yourself, but I wouldn't spout off on the internet about using your sick time just to get a 5 day break.

If you want time off, that's what vacation is for, imo.
    Look, we all earn sick time. I currently have 1600 hrs.
    When i retire, i get paid for 980 of that. The rest is lost. 980 is the max.
    So, why retire with more than 980?
    The system is set up for "abuse". Besides, calling off sick causes o.t. Which in turn, helps another member make extra cash.
    In 15 years on the job the ONLY time i ever called off sick when i was actually sick was 3 times. The birth of my children (not really sick and they allow time off but we use sick time.) and my appendix removed.
    We all do it. It is common knowledge. Heck, we can call of 3 days in a row which would be close to 2 weeks off without a doctors excuse.
    And even then, Most Docs could care less and sigh you off for a few more days.
    Bottom line is this: Goto work when you are ill, Save it for when you need the time off for your sons basketball game!! or the Trip to the beach for a long weekend.
    Last edited by alecshawn1; 12-04-2008 at 03:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you call off sick and are see at a function or what not is a fireable offense where we are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    If you call off sick and are see at a function or what not is a fireable offense where we are.
    Not an issue. Just because one is too sick to goto work doesnt mean they are too sick to see a game or goto the mall.
    There is no one in (The administration) that cares enough to make it an issue.
    They cant prove anyone would be "abusing" sick leave.
    It has been tried and the admin has failed every time.
    One would have to call off like 2 times per month EVERY month before anyone would even notice or care.
    Sick time is a negotiated benefit. The City wont touch it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    10 years and I've never called off sick, and I think I've only turned down 2 overtimes. Man I wish they'd force me to work for time and a half. I know I wouldn't complain. By the way, where do you work alecshawn1? I've got 2 brothers and about 25 uncles and cousins working in different departments and every one of them has sick abuse lists. In Philly, if you call out and are seen anywhere but the food store, church or the doctor, you get banged.
    Im in Ohio, As for the "getting caught" while off sick. No one wants to ruffle feathers and get caught up in a greivance/lawsuit. The City "Toledo" wont touch it. The Unions up here are too powerful. Like i said, if you are off sick and in say, WalMart, how can anyone prove you werent getting meds? There are a million ways around any silly rule concerning sick time.
    We also get 1.99 for O.T. Not time and 1/2. So thats a great thing also.
    I average 4 sick days per year. Thats minimal imho. I worked (9 )24 ots last year. Several probably close to 200 hrs of "other O.T." like saftey house,festivals...etc

Thread Information