FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Does Seeing a Shrink DQ you?

This question is for a friend who is thinking of getting in the fire service (I know how THAT sounds haha). If you have ever seen a psychiatrist or were on anti-depressants during a tough time: a) I assume you have to disclose this to the dept your testing with? b) Does it DQ you?

I'm not talking about a chronic illness here. More or less a very tough time. Any insight would be great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    This question is for a friend who is thinking of getting in the fire service (I know how THAT sounds haha). If you have ever seen a psychiatrist or were on anti-depressants during a tough time: a) I assume you have to disclose this to the dept your testing with? b) Does it DQ you?

I'm not talking about a chronic illness here. More or less a very tough time. Any insight would be great.
    I asked a psychiatrist friend if a person sought out help for a troubling time which could have including medication why this would be a problem in getting hired as a firefighter. He said it shouldn't be it often does.

If you list on your background and psych information that you have seen a psychologist in the past, the psychologist who interviews you is going to want to know why. If your medical insurance paid the bill there is a record. In the process you will sign off your rights and they can look at anything they want.

Tony listed he had had counseling after being married 8 years and two children because he didnít know if he still loved his wife. The psychologist wanted to talk to his personal psychologist. In the process it was discovered that Tony was also in a support group recommended by his psychologist after he got in a heated argument that almost came to blows because of the stress that had been created when job losses were occurring at his job.

Tony was dropped from the process.

More on the psych here: http://eatstress.com/psychfirsttime.htm

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Permanently Removed

As for you or the other candidates, just weight out what is important. Figure out what information is important. Was it legal and/or a private manner?

Again, I am not saying to lie about anything in here.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-20-2008 at 01:40 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bou,
    Intentionally with holding information is the same as lying and will cause you to be disqualified.

You wrote:
    The bottom line- I am not saying to leave out things or lie. But if I had to did things all over again, I would have left out a detail or two that really did not matter.

Isn't it ironic that you told the truth and it was no big deal?

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Bou,
    Intentionally with holding information is the same as lying and will cause you to be disqualified.

You wrote:
    The bottom line- I am not saying to leave out things or lie. But if I had to did things all over again, I would have left out a detail or two that really did not matter.

Isn't it ironic that you told the truth and it was no big deal?

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

No BCP, It was a big deal. It caused me more delay and extra paperwork. I was being too honest. Because the sleeping aid I took can be used for other uses and I didnt know about it.

Had I left the detail out, it would have been easier for me in this case only.

As for the cheap shot, I am going to delete the above personal information now.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-20-2008 at 03:43 AM.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    I asked a psychiatrist friend if a person sought out help for a troubling time which could have including medication why this would be a problem in getting hired as a firefighter. He said it shouldn't be it often does.

If you list on your background and psych information that you have seen a psychologist in the past, the psychologist who interviews you is going to want to know why. If your medical insurance paid the bill there is a record. In the process you will sign off your rights and they can look at anything they want.

Tony listed he had had counseling after being married 8 years and two children because he didnít know if he still loved his wife. The psychologist wanted to talk to his personal psychologist. In the process it was discovered that Tony was also in a support group recommended by his psychologist after he got in a heated argument that almost came to blows because of the stress that had been created when job losses were occurring at his job.

Tony was dropped from the process.

More on the psych here: http://eatstress.com/psychfirsttime.htm

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    So what is your answer? It will DQ someone or it wont?

Forum Member

how would u even know who my insurance carrier is to look at my medical record. this seems like a smoke and mirrors thing. but i am no bi so if there is anyone who can elaborate on that, please do so.

Forum Member

sorry it wont go through, so i have to post some nonsense a few more time.

MembersZone Subscriber

probably not. Even the DOD now allows previous counseling to be allowable for lower level (read "secret") clearances. Just don't lie.

well, if the shrink was treating a pathological lying condition then...

Thread Information